BMW R1200GS Adventure Triple Black TE

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to upgrade the R1150GS I had, and I had considered going for a sports bike with the choices narrowed down to a Fireblade or an Aprilia RSV Mille, but then the notion left me as it just wouldn’t be as comfortable or practical for my riding style, carrying the wife on the back fairly often and for doing the likes of a European run or even touring Ireland when the notion takes me.

After deciding I wanted to stick with a big CC adventure bike and trawling the internet for a week or more looking at everything for sale that KTM had to offer, the Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200, Honda’s Africa Twin’s in both 1000 & 1100cc guise along with the VFR1200 Cross Tourer (all of the Honda’s being ruled out very quickly for being very dated and lacking in technology), I was set on a newer BMW R1200GS, only this time I was insisting on holding out for an Adventure model which has longer suspension travel and a larger capacity fuel tank over a standard GS.

Plenty of browsing and a few phone calls seen me opting for a bike that Speed Superbikes Ltd (www.speedthrills.co.uk) in Exeter had for sale, a 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure LC (liquid cooled which was introduced in 2014) Triple Black 90th Anniversary model. They talked me into it over the phone after confirming a very high spec including keyless start, LED headlights with auto-dim function, quick shifter, tyre pressure monitors, nav prep, full BMW service history, selectable dynamic riding modes, dynamic ESA (electronic suspension), cruise control, heated grips, engine crash bars, spot lights etc.

After doing the deal, I had to set about getting it home as I wasn’t really wanting to go through an airport to fly out for it, and the nearest airport was almost 100 miles away from the dealer. As usual, asking on here got the answer I needed which was for transporter to bring the bike home for me, and after a chat with Aidy on Monday morning, he confirmed he’d have the bike home by the weekend, and he did.

864B61BC-2DB4-4686-A01F-9163C8513541.jpeg

After collecting it from Aidy yesterday morning (Saturday), I met @Alan_B so that we could go for a run and see how the new bike performed and handled.

7F554B5C-C356-43E6-B429-703D9482098D.jpeg

257997F1-FA64-4960-A822-03BB24910634.jpeg

F8EEC70F-B41B-4C4C-8E7C-46AD0AD0DD2B.jpeg

Absolutely blown away with how good it is and how light it feels on the road (surprisingly nimble for a 256kg bike). The quick shifter with auto blip on the downshift is ****ing awesome, as is the ESA which automatically adjusts the dampening depending on which riding mode is selected (there is soft, normal and hard settings in each too). The torque from the big boxer twin is fantastic and really suits rolling round coastal roads at low RPM on and off the throttle, while still providing enough grunt to ensure it keeps up with sportier bikes up to about 125/130mph before looking for another gear.

I’ve already ordered the sat nav for it which should be here in a couple of days, and I’ve fitted my top box to it, but aside from that there isn’t anything I need or want to do to it immediately, as it’s already very well spec’d, other than keep it fuelled up and stick as many miles on it as possible.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Looks class that mate, I really wish I'd longer legs for one 😂

Plenty of adventures to be had on that I'm sure!

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Looks class that mate, I really wish I'd longer legs for one 😂

Plenty of adventures to be had on that I'm sure!

You can get lowered seats and lowered suspension for them. I can lower the seat on this a good bit by flipping the bracket upside down which only takes 10 seconds from seat off to seat on, so we can get you a squeeze on it when you’re home 👍

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Nav unit arrived today, which was as much of an excuse as I needed to go for a ride out this evening.

It’s controlled by a multi-directional controller on the left bar which rolls backwards and forwards, and can be pushed left and right to navigate through the various menus. Very cool bit of kit with a lot of information available from the bike, never mind the Bluetooth connectivity to display calls from my phone, shout directions into the helmet headset and to get live traffic/accident/speed camera updates through a mobile data connection on my phone... It’s also pretty nifty as a sat nav too with options to include the most twisty roads to any destination:

77998A9B-49F9-409E-836E-6DE4A28E70BF.jpeg

BD760A87-C5E0-462E-AF13-73740CB61D8B.jpeg

38B80890-BE97-46CE-85E1-6A715D0D63A3.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Hands free figured out and working a treat. Can’t record videos while I’m on the phone, so used Screen Record and opened the camera, hence the weird pic... 😂

9BC8FDF8-1410-44DC-9B4B-40D96B73E339.jpeg

Full phone functions as per a car including phone book search, media playback, voice prompts etc.

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Awesome htr buddy can’t wait to get back on a bike after I recover from surgery whenever that may be ffs

Cheers man. Have over 600 miles on it already, so safe to says it’s getting used, and that’s with me working full time and not getting out on Saturday past. Should break the 1000 mile mark this weekend, and then I’ll be tackling the Iron Butt Association full lap of Ireland in under 24 hours in a couple of weeks.

Hope the recovery doesn’t take too long and you're back out soon 🤙
awesome bike, all the best with her!

Might see about a run with a few of the boys on Sunday morning if you’re free?

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
@Nickycant do this sunday as im working but fire me a whatsapp if you are heading out the following sunday.

johnm

RMS Regular
Where you in Newcastle yesterday sporting some purple trousers? pretty sure you went past us just before you pulled over and parked up.
Looks and sounded well for just ticking along.

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Where you in Newcastle yesterday sporting some purple trousers? pretty sure you went past us just before you pulled over and parked up.
Looks and sounded well for just ticking along.

Guilty. Was the wife on the back at that stage or was I riding solo? I was through Newcastle early yesterday morning with a few mates, then went up again yesterday afternoon to get a bite to eat.

johnm

RMS Regular
Aye you had one on the pillion, was about 4ish.
Was going to stop but we were on the way through to buy a boat and we wanted to see it on the water.
Place was rammed.

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Aye you had one on the pillion, was about 4ish.
Was going to stop but we were on the way through to buy a boat and we wanted to see it on the water.
Place was rammed.

That would have been us heading down to Tropicana for meet a few mates after getting a bit to eat at the top of the town. Left there around 5-ish to go dolphin spotting at Greencastle... 🤦‍♂️

What’s the craic with the boat? Ya buy 1?