Bmw servicing

Discussion in 'Technical and Mechanical' started by jshek007, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jshek007 RMS Regular

jshek007
    Drives:
    F30 335,FN2, R56
    Anyone have any recommendations on who to use for servicing. Current shape 3 series. Bmw don't come with service book now so everything is kept in their idrive system. So need someone that has access to be able to put the record in the system. Tried Johnny from ai autosport but he doesn't have access to it.

I know non dealer codes get registered as 00000 on the system.

Many thanks

2. gpaevo RMS Regular

gpaevo
    Drives:
    F31 BMW
    Interested in this also.

3. Lyons RMS Regular

Lyons
    Drives:
    X5 30D / MK7 R
    Try Colm Hyland in Banbridge.

Brennan, natogreen16v and jshek007 like this.
  4. Wild Thing RMS Regular

Wild Thing
    Drives:
    Fast Cooper S's
    if you want it done properly it has to be serviced at bmw or an independent that has a trade account with access to the equipment to link to the bmw database in germany.
    Sure you can get the info onto the idrive but if the key is scanned at bmw it will not register the work done. So you have 2 options, pay bmw or a BMW trade account holder indie to do the job via main database or use an indie and get paperwork to backup your servicing schedules

G N K and jshek007 like this.
  5. AlpineF30 RMS Regular

AlpineF30
    Drives:
    BMW M3
    I can put it into the iDrive but as @Wild Thing has said once its backat a BMW dealer it will be wiped and will need to be put in again as its not on their database.

jshek007 likes this.
  6. mk2driver RMS Regular

mk2driver
    Drives:
    Impreza Type RA
  7. Eager RMS Regular

Eager
    Drives:
    broooooom
    That’s a pain. In that case I would use Bmw for a oil service only. Shouldn be mega money.
    Any other maintenance would be receipts and a service book.

jshek007 likes this.
  8. gpaevo RMS Regular

gpaevo
    Drives:
    F31 BMW
    Oil & Filter =£190+o(

jshek007 likes this.
  9. Boabybooster RMS Regular

Boabybooster
    Drives:
    BMW
    That’s why you eat your body weight in their cakes and biscuits and drown in their coffee. Get your moneys worth.

gixermark, NeilNaz, Brennan and 4 others like this.
  10. Nickyyy RMS Regular

Nickyyy
    Drives:
    R8 | E91 M-Sport
    jshek007 likes this.
  11. chrisQ RMS Regular

chrisQ
    Car Clinique in Hillsborough. Rhys, ex Bavarian mechanic. I'd be surprised if he couldn't do it and he knows his stuff

jshek007 likes this.
  12. Lyons RMS Regular

Lyons
    Drives:
    X5 30D / MK7 R
  13. mightymetro RMS Regular

mightymetro
    Drives:
    F31 320D, 91 MX5
    Certainly wouldn't recommend Prentice anyway - went over this morning as Magowans tyres seem to have chewed the locking wheel nut key in the prices last time I got new tyres. Prentice charging £20 for a new key and 2 weeks to order it in... Fair enough. I suggested that either they use their key or let me use it for 5 minutes to take off the 4 locking nuts and then sell me 4 plain studs, but was refused because they might break their key. FFS. What happened to this reputation of BM garages going the extra mile or am I making that up?

14. Wild Thing RMS Regular

Wild Thing
    Drives:
    Fast Cooper S's
    Prentices are more than fair, never have any issues with them on a trade to trade basis, why not just order the key.

NeilNaz and Coog like this.
  15. Brennan RMS Regular

Brennan
    Drives:
    BMW
    Colm is a top bloke, I’ve used him for a few years now and he’s not hard to pay

16. Nicky RMS Regular

Nicky
    The 2 week waiting time when you’re in need of tyres or brakes isn’t exactly ideal. It’s not like he was refusing to pay them either, saying he’d take 4 wheel nuts while he was there.

I wouldn’t bother returning to them after that either to be fair.

@mightymetro try Railway Autospares in Ballynahinch. They may have a matching key and would remove them for you no bother if you called in. Tel: 02897561240

mightymetro likes this.
  17. mightymetro RMS Regular

mightymetro
    Drives:
    F31 320D, 91 MX5
    Exactly, the key was ordered but am just sitting here now with brake pads I can't fit and living in fear of a puncture with the season starting to turn and roads cutting to sh*te. Seemed a petty excuse from them.

18. AlpineF30 RMS Regular

AlpineF30
    Drives:
    BMW M3
    Another shout for Railway in Ballynahinch. Davey is fantastic

19. Wild Thing RMS Regular

Wild Thing
    Drives:
    Fast Cooper S's
    I may be wrong but i think the master keys are just to order your key, not designed to remove overtightened studs.

20. Coog Admin

Coog
    Drives:
    Jaguar XJ6
    Bavarian let me use their key. Well I borrowed it to 'check the fitment' and just took all the nuts off :joy:

In fairness they could lend you the key and you chew it and then they're without one for two weeks or do they book you in so a qualified mechanic can do it and you pay the hourly rate? Or does the unqualified parts guy have a go?

Lyons likes this.
  21. colin84 RMS Regular

colin84
    Drives:
    E60 M Sport
    Your first mistake was going to Magowans, place is a disaster ffs. Over an hour to fix a puncture, and over 2 hours to fit 2 tyres, all while they stand about looking at each other. They took a lifetime for wheel alignment at full price, then told me after I paid that they done the best they could as I need new track rod ends, and the steering wheel was still off!

I use Ivan Kerr in Carrick now, 2 tyres fitted and away in 20 mins.

Bladefan and Boabybooster like this.
  22. amg306 RMS Regular

amg306
    Drives:
    Anything
    I hate sending anyone to Magowans from work, always seems that it takes about a day to get 4 tyres fitted!

colin84 likes this.
  23. NeilNaz RMS Regular

NeilNaz
    Drives:
    Cautiously
    There is a recommendation on here that is absolutely substandard at the most basic level. I don't want to engage in a slanging match with the poster, who I am sure had the best intentions. Do some research and this should become apparent.

If it was my car, I would go to Rhys at Car Clinique or ring the Country Garage, Ballymena and haggle a price with them.

24. mk2driver RMS Regular

mk2driver
    Drives:
    Impreza Type RA
    If it’s my post it wasn’t a recommendation as I’ve never used him, simply information

NeilNaz likes this.
  25. NeilNaz RMS Regular

NeilNaz
    Drives:
    Cautiously
    "If it’s my post it wasn’t a recommendation as I’ve never used him, simply information" mk2driver

I was not your post lad…Colm Higgins has a reputation beyond reproach (y)

mk2driver likes this.