BMW X5 E70 - Air Suspension Problem

RevT

RMS Regular
Only have the car about a month and already have air suspension problems.. 🤣

So I woke up the other day and the rear of the car was up in the air full height. I couldn’t get it reset at all and googling just seems to show the opposite (air leak problems and the car sitting arse down).

A short time later I heard a bang and it had exploded one of the rear air springs.

I fitted a new one today and the car immediately went full height again the same as before and showing ride height control fault on the dash. The system literally seems to be a compressor, air lines to the springs and then a ride height sensor at each side. Errors showing are as follows:

Anyone any ideas?

I’ll get a look at it again on Thursday and swap sensors over etc.

2AADF0BA-EF8A-483C-9F22-6B2D0A54662C.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Are the sensors still connected? Mine will do that if I leave a link off or the plug disconnected.

hillbilly

RMS Regular
Sounds like a sensor issue to me as well. If It is anything like an F11, you could pull the fuse for the compressor and manually inflate the bags using a foot pump or bike pump. I made something similar to the photo below.

Attachments

• DDB225F0-88EF-49CA-85FB-5238B0644894.png
    DDB225F0-88EF-49CA-85FB-5238B0644894.png
    757.2 KB · Views: 69

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
Both sensors still connected yes. It just keeps inflating to full height. Surely the two sensors couldn’t have failed at the same time?

I’ll get a look at the sensors on Thursday again for a nosey. Unfortunately they’re £90 each new so don’t want to throw £180 at them if they’re not needed.

hillbilly

RMS Regular
I would try to disconnect one sensor at a time and see what happens. It's possible that the signal from the bad sensor is overriding the good one.

RevT

RMS Regular
OP
RevT
Update - out of handiness I grabbed two sensors. I replaced them and the car is back to normal. Unfortunately what should have been half an hour of work turned into about four hours because of seized bolts and rounded screws. I’ve replaced the sensors with all new screws and bolts and after looking at the compressor and airlines it seems like it’s been replaced too at some point so that’s some good news.