Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Great, yeah I've avoided putting too much paint on the stamp on the frame so it is visible (just about) but the new plate will make things much handier.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
as i said above it passed with nothing on the 40's

Why would you say that?

Actually what you said above was it passed with the standard air filter fitted :/

i said it passed with nothing on the twin 40's

i then went on to say if i had my old carb on ( DGA 32-36 weber ), an i removed the large air box that sits on top, that may have failed

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
got a new car, so my old one is lyin at the door. mot is up and the end of next month, and if its not gone im gonna have to get it mot'd. car currently has no insurance. so im wondering can anyone drive it? ive family members who are fully comp, so would they be covered to drive it?

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Aslong as they have the extension to drive it then it shouldn't be a problem. Although afaik some insurance companies require the other car to also be insured.

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
Some companies offer one day cover for mots by adding it to your existing policy

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Aslong as they have the extension to drive it then it shouldn't be a problem. Although afaik some insurance companies require the other car to also be insured.
I was of the impression that the car must have insurance on it for anyone to be able to drive it as a 3rd party extension of their own insurance. Trailer, day insurance or a trader driving it is what you need.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Day insurance would be handiest, though the price of it is mental these days. Used to be like a tenner a day?! I think I was quoted nearer 30 last time I looked. Bastids.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I was of the impression that the car must have insurance on it for anyone to be able to drive it as a 3rd party extension of their own insurance. Trailer, day insurance or a trader driving it is what you need.

last time I checked with DirectLine they didnt require it. Boss lent me his car for a few days after he got a new one so I had to double check. Was a few years ago tho

Ge0rge

Banned
surely that cant be right? wouldnt everyone just insure a 1.0 micra then drive about in S4's etc.....

pablo

RMS Moderator
youd soon get caught out and tortured being pulled over by the cops as it shows as uninsured. Plus you wouldnt be fully comp or anything just TPFT.

They might have changed but thats the way it was when I checked.

Ge0rge

Banned
yeah i dont doubt you lol i think its changed though my policy says that i can drive any other car as long as there is insurance on it and my car is parked at my home address

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
Some companies allow you to drive someone elses car even if it isn't insured, axa is one of them but it can't belong to you and would be third party only

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
surely that cant be right? wouldnt everyone just insure a 1.0 micra then drive about in S4's etc.....
Hence why a lot of (usually younger) people used to go with Quinns for that very reason. They didnt require the other vehicle to be insured. That was a few years ago mind...

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
traders insurance or ask your current insurer can you swap insurance for the length of time you need

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Any car being used on the public road must carry its own insurance policy, as regards the actual mot, it only needs insurance to get there, if brought on a trailer ectt, thats fine