Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I've done a long and extensive read at this thread and I am however unable to find a definitive answer to my question.

2001 Diesel car was fitted with a catalytic converter at the factory.

Does it have to have a cat fitted to pass mot?

I know the answer is usually if it passes emissions it should be a pass, however with it being a diesel I've read that there is a test whereby the tester rev's the engine three times to the govenor speed and an average of the three is then taken as the final emissions.

However whilst speaking to a mechanic friend of mine he tells me this test is now not taken due in part to a tester having lost three teeth after a
car owner lamped him because he blew the engine doing this test!

Is this true that diesels now do not have an emissions test and will the tester check for a cat?

My car currently has a split in the exhaust flexi section, not visible as the braided part is still intact, but a small puff of smoke gives it away on start up.

The price of a s/steel decat is less than a mild steel oe replacement cat hence my reason for asking

What is your engine code? Is your
Cat 3 stud or 4 stud?

I've a 4 stud cat here that has the inside of car beat out. Works perfect. Fits golf, a3, Leon, Toledo. £30 and it's yours. Flexi is perfect.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
What is your engine code? Is your
Cat 3 stud or 4 stud?

I've a 4 stud cat here that has the inside of car beat out. Works perfect. Fits golf, a3, Leon, Toledo. £30 and it's yours. Flexi is perfect.
My engine code is ALH, not sure if it's 3 or 4 stud. I presume that's the end that goes to the turbo? If so I'll get a look later today

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
F**k I love these stories about why diesel testing was stopped lol, it qas due to excessive fumes entering the fumes, no other reason. Diesel cars don't need cats for MOT unless the manual changed without my knowledge.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I don't suppose any recalls the approx. times the website is updated in the afternoon/evening with new dates/times/cancellations?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
F**k I love these stories about why diesel testing was stopped lol, it qas due to excessive fumes entering the fumes, no other reason. Diesel cars don't need cats for MOT unless the manual changed without my knowledge.

Manual states this.

Page 56 suggests they only look for a cat where one was fitted originally for a diesel so is a little vague unless they have lists, so not quite what I first thought

http://www.doeni.gov.uk/light_vehicle_inspection_manual_may_2015.pdf

3 Check for the presence of a catalytic converter on spark ignition engined vehicles first used on or after 1 July 2002 with, four or more wheels, a GVW of more than 400kg, not more than 12 passenger seats, and a DGW of not more than 3500kg. On Compression ignition vehicles check for the presence of a catalytic converter where fitted as original equipment.
4. Check for the presence of a particulate filter on vehicles where they are fitted as original equipment.

And

c. A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing where one was fitted as standard.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I don't suppose any recalls the approx. times the website is updated in the afternoon/evening with new dates/times/cancellations?
Usually around 9am but can be anytime of the day

Manual states this.

3 Check for the presence of a catalytic converter on spark ignition engined vehicles first used on or after 1 July 2002 with, four or more wheels, a GVW of more than 400kg, not more than 12 passenger seats, and a DGW of not more than 3500kg. On Compression ignition vehicles check for the presence of a catalytic converter where fitted as original equipment.
4. Check for the presence of a particulate filter on vehicles where they are fitted as original equipment.

And

c. A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing where one was fitted as standard.
I stand corrected, the manual gets updated now its electronic and they "forget" to make examiners aware

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It doesnt specifically say reasons for rejection...but presumably if they're asking to check for stuff...if it isnt there is would be a resomn for rejection.

But also bare in mind, the manual above does still lost normal MOT emissions tests, which arent carried out in full here.

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
Its updated throughout the entire day. I was struggling to get a date running out on 4th trying everyday for 2 weeks but got one on Friday there at Mallusk. Current free dates for centres nearish to me are a month out.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Its updated throughout the entire day. I was struggling to get a date running out on 4th trying everyday for 2 weeks but got one on Friday there at Mallusk. Current free dates for centres nearish to me are a month out.

It's a fairly safe bet the testing manual does not get updated daily...or during the day.

scub

Banned
i booked 1 on sat there for 7th of aug. but before that it wasn't showing anything before the 20th.
wouldn't let me book the 1st 1 & had to reload page & the 7th appeared.
strange but true !!

Bryan

RMS Regular
MOT dates seem to be crazy again. Earliest it is offering me is the 5th of September - that's 5 weeks away. I've been checking the past few days for cancellations and nothing has popped up any closer yet.

scub

Banned
im so glad you posted on this mate. as above mine is booked for 7th of Aug but my addled mind had convinced myself that it was this Fri not next & idve headed off to ards a week early if I hadn't seen this thread.
well done sir (y)

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
MOT dates seem to be crazy again. Earliest it is offering me is the 5th of September - that's 5 weeks away. I've been checking the past few days for cancellations and nothing has popped up any closer yet.

Yea I booked mine away last month thought as I had two weeks off this month getting a date would be no worries. Not a chance 3rd of August was the earliest, and due to my Dad passing away on the 11th never got a chance to check for a cancellation. MOT's up tomorrow.............Ah well it's only a £30 non endorsable fine I think lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
£60 fine and if you get a p***k they'll try and twist all sorts of other things....still assuming the car is roadworthy

scub

Banned
not if you're 'driving your car to a place of mot preparation " !!
edit. the road worthiness would still apply. but as Stevie says, you'd need to get a right coont lol

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Car is MOT'd until 6th November - what if I want to get it tested in the next few weeks?

@JCLC ?

PS sorry I know this has been asked before but I cant find the thread :worried:

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Car is MOT'd until 6th November - what if I want to get it tested in the next few weeks?

@JCLC ?

PS sorry I know this has been asked before but I cant find the thread :worried:
Whats the question?
If you want to book it for the next couple of weeks then you will have to get a cancellation.
If you mean what happens to the mot, you can MOT up to 30 days before its due and have the days added on, so evvectively from the date of pass you could have almost 13 months MOT

If you test the car before the 6th of OCT, then the next years MOT will be from that date.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Whats the question?
If you want to book it for the next couple of weeks then you will have to get a cancellation.
If you mean what happens to the mot, you can MOT up to 30 days before its due and have the days added on, so evvectively from the date of pass you could have almost 13 months MOT

If you test the car before the 6th of OCT, then the next years MOT will be from that date.

What if it fails... run out the last of the current MOT until 6th November?

It should pass but with the run of bad luck I don't trust her so much these days ... lol

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
What if it fails... run out the last of the current MOT until 6th November?

It should pass but with the run of bad luck I don't trust her so much these days ... lol

Technically if it fails its not deemed road worthy and the fail should put it off the road (y)

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Technically if it fails its not deemed road worthy and the fail should put it off the road (y)

Technically. 8-|

Shouldn't be an issue anyway but wanted to get it tested sooner rather than later (and closer to Xmas!)

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
YeaH the end that goes to turbo bud. 4 stud is what I have.
Mine was a 3stud mate, bit late to come back to you considering it passed MOT with the split flexi section (though not visible through the wire outer section and a good MOT wash removed signs of soot), but I appreciate the offer