Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Failed the NI mot on Tuesday night (tester claimed a rear tyre had a deviation in its pattern, does that affect safety I added, no but...do you not feel it while you drive? Eh, no! Otherwise I'd have fookin' changed it). Thursday morning flies through a Scottish MOT (at a place that sells tyres - surely in their interest to find things wrong)?
Guess I just got a fussy chap?

or a diligent one ?

I think everyone knows almost any car would pass a mainland MOT. And was that his exact wording on the fail sheet for the tyre ? seems like a strange one.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Failed the NI mot on Tuesday night (tester claimed a rear tyre had a deviation in its pattern, does that affect safety I added, no but...do you not feel it while you drive? Eh, no! Otherwise I'd have fookin' changed it). Thursday morning flies through a Scottish MOT (at a place that sells tyres - surely in their interest to find things wrong)?
Guess I just got a fussy chap?
Only thing it failed on??

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Then good chance it probably is ?

As said, I wouldnt trust a mainland MOT for a minute if you were solely relying on it as a measure of the cars condition or safety.

If the tyre has been otherwise inspected by a competent person and they've given it the ok, then yes may be ok.

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
Figured I may ask here

Front wheel arch liners....are the needed for mot?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Figured I may ask here

Front wheel arch liners....are the needed for mot?

I've had old cars through that didn't have them.
Unless it leaves something else like an undertry flapping about, then I can't see a problem.

armaghlad

RMS Regular
Drives
A4
Car has no mot, oversight on my behalf as I was abroad few weeks back and it slipped my mind. I have it booked in but my question is, does anpr automatically pick up on no mot and will I get a letter in the post?

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
As far as I know it's a £60 fine if (when) you're stopped, ANPR won't be an issue, again that's only as far as I'm aware, I could be wrong.

armaghlad

RMS Regular
Drives
A4
As far as I know it's a £60 fine if (when) you're stopped, ANPR won't be an issue, again that's only as far as I'm aware, I could be wrong.
Cheers, tried working out a route into Belfast (for work) but all roads seem to have anpr! Ah well, I'll take my medicine if it comes to it

simy

RMS Regular
Do we not get reminders through the post anymore? or has some wee scrote nicked it from my letterbox.
Also, having an SRS airbag light on is a fail, correct?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Just realised mines up on the 22nd,next available in coleraine is the 30th :eek:

garyo

RMS Regular
Wife rang at lunchtime to say hers is up on Friday and she can't get one local until the end of the month. Adamant she didn't get a letter I gave off to her about being careless and losing it...only to notice my own is up on the 25th but no letter for me either. Will be keeping an eye for a cancellation myself at this rate. :weary_face:

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Wife rang at lunchtime to say hers is up on Friday and she can't get one local until the end of the month. Adamant she didn't get a letter I gave off to her about being careless and losing it...only to notice my own is up on the 25th but no letter for me either. Will be keeping an eye for a cancellation myself at this rate. :weary_face:

Got one in cookstown for the 23rd
Try other centres if your stuck

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Aye was looking round them all earlier, got myself booked for Omagh in the morning of 26th so should be spot on. Have hers to take to Enniskillen on Saturday.
When you have it book go online at 9.30 on Monday morning looking to change the date, that's the best time to get a cancellation

garyo

RMS Regular
Yeah, I'll just be keeping an eye out for slightly more suitable times over the next few days, but it's not putting me out too much as is so not too bad.

simy

RMS Regular
Some waiting list for MOTs these days, had a decent day sussed online, went back a page to check if there was any better ones, came back and its gone. So I too will be scoping out cancellations.