Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Check for the presence of a catalytic converter on spark ignition engined vehicles
first used on or after 1 July 2002 with, four or more wheels, a GVW of more than
400kg, not more than 12 passenger seats, and a DGW of not more than 3500kg. On
Compression ignition vehicles check for the presence of a catalytic converter where
fitted as original equipment.

Am I right in thinking that a 1998 petrol car with no cat would be fine for the test as long as emissions and noise are OK, but a diesel must have it where originally fitted?

However, it also says

Reason for rejection
c. A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing where one was fitted as standard.

It doesn't say if that applies to just dizzels.

brendy

RMS Regular
Check for the presence of a catalytic converter on spark ignition engined vehicles
first used on or after 1 July 2002 with, four or more wheels, a GVW of more than
Compression ignition vehicles check for the presence of a catalytic converter where

Am I right in thinking that a 1998 petrol car with no cat would be fine for the test as long as emissions and noise are OK, but a diesel must have it where originally fitted?

However, it also says

Reason for rejection
c. A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing where one was fitted as standard.

My old 01 wrx had nothing but 3" pipe from turbo to back box, never failed and never mentioned.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

However, it also says

Reason for rejection

Legally, any petrol Aug 92 onwards must have a cat.....Weirdly and for unknown reasons, Northern Ireland is about the only place in Europe where the test rules have been ignored a little...even stranger given it's done officially.

So post July 2002, it is purely a visual check for a cat...they do not work to actual cat based emissions tests. Likewise pre 2002...they dont even do a visual, nor do they do a cat based emissions test.
It's just a basic emissions test all round, absolute doddle to pass.

Not sure on diesels..dont really think they care about them at all as long as they dont appear to be pouring smoke out or there isnt some really obvious butchery with the exhaust ?

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Right guys just looking a bit of advice. Took my mums 407 in for mot last week, failed on a ball joint and a track rod end. So sorted them and it's back in tonight I go out to start it today and the bloody abs light has decided to come on. It's looking like it's a sensor on the rear wheel. I am assuming they will fail me on this even though it wasn't on when they did the original full test?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
In theory they only test what's on the fail sheet, however AFAIK they would be able to fail it if so inclined.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Right guys just looking a bit of advice. Took my mums 407 in for mot last week, failed on a ball joint and a track rod end. So sorted them and it's back in tonight I go out to start it today and the bloody abs light has decided to come on. It's looking like it's a sensor on the rear wheel. I am assuming they will fail me on this even though it wasn't on when they did the original full test?
If it's seen yes it will be failed.

You will notice the line in big letters at the bottom of the refusal notice stating any part of the vehicle can be retested.

When the examiner is putting his name to the certificate he is stating the car is safe to the best of his knowledge at the time of the test, if something obvious is wrong it needs to be failed again. Not a nice position to be in for either parties - especially if it was something missed on the full test

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
As he needs the car up in the air to check track rod end an balljoint he will have to drive the car onto the ramps so sadly will spot it
Some testers will look in an see the new parts. But others will want to get a better look on the lift

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

If they see that light..yes it will fail. But as they should only be looking at the underside, if you removed the bulb for the retest it would probably go unnoticed.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
@NI_Volvo_Nut my Jetta is up on the 20th. Car is fine mechanically, but when I indicate right, as well as the right green arrow on the dash flashing, the left green indicator arrow and the TPMS light also flash (although much fainter light). When I indicate left, everything's fine.

Do testers check both internal indicators on a test? I've noticed some give the hazards a push when they first get in. Also would the above mentioned occurrence be a fail?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
@NI_Volvo_Nut my Jetta is up on the 20th. Car is fine mechanically, but when I indicate right, as well as the right green arrow on the dash flashing, the left green indicator arrow and the TPMS light also flash (although much fainter light). When I indicate left, everything's fine.

Do testers check both internal indicators on a test? I've noticed some give the hazards a push when they first get in. Also would the above mentioned occurrence be a fail?
Does the TPMS light work as it should besides the faint glow with the indicators?

The indicators need to have a tell tale light, as long as its working and the TPMS light works as it should I don't see an issue

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
they ask you to indicate IIRC.

They do indeed, but sometimes once you get out and they get in, they will check the horn, wipers and sometimes the indicators/hazards.

Does the TPMS light work as it should besides the faint glow with the indicators?

The indicators need to have a tell tale light, as long as its working and the TPMS light works as it should I don't see an issue

Yep the TPMS lights works fine. If the ignition is turned off and then on, all the correct lights on the dash appear, and then disappear correctly. No lights remain on dash once the car is turned on. I'll take a video later on to show a better understanding.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Retest is only 17.50

A garage will charge you more than that to look at it.

Send it through and it might pass
£18.50 actually

MOT is a minimum standard inspection in which the examiner has 20 mins to fully inspect a vehicle, brakes are tested on a 5mph rolling road. Just because it was deemed to be safe to drive for 20 minutes out of 365 days does not mean it is in good mechanical order.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
How fussy are they about sunstrips? I have MOT tomorrow and am debating whether to try and go with sunstrip or whether to just take it off. It's not really deep or anything. No deeper than my sunvisor. It's not opaque it's a mid tint.

Any advice?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
How fussy are they about sunstrips? I have MOT tomorrow and am debating whether to try and go with sunstrip or whether to just take it off. It's not really deep or anything. No deeper than my sunvisor. It's not opaque it's a mid tint.

Any advice?
It’s something like it can’t be below the wiper line, which tends to be pretty near the top of the windscreen

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
Probably a stupid question

I have yellow tint on the headlights, take it that would be a fail?