Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I think it's a live system. Ie. when someone changes their appointment their original one becomes available instantly. I've noticed that when I've had multiple vehicles to book whereby my old appointment time was available straight away when I went into the second vehicle.

Trying to book an MOT again myself and it's giving me the 17th of October. It's getting beyond a joke. Yes I might be able to get a cancellation but I don't have time to sit in front of the computer refreshing the screen all day.
Yes but I think there are s certain amount of appointments held back or released at certain times of the day. It's been mentioned on here before n it helped me out at the time.

But you are right. You can get lucky at any time!

spoons

RMS Regular
Would anyone have a link for the page to check for MOT cancellations i cant find it.. Thank you

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I couldn't find the written rules for mot, does anyone have a link?

I am wondering about the rules for side indicators as I am considering removing mine if its legal? I believe as long as your front indicators are also visible from the side then there is no requirement to have side repeaters?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks, from my understanding I am ok without side repeaters as long as my wraparound front indicators are visible from the side. Anyone care to confirm?

andy_mcc

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf R 7.5
Thanks, from my understanding I am ok without side repeaters as long as my wraparound front indicators are visible from the side. Anyone care to confirm?
Yea I used to get a bit of grief getting the starlet GT through with no side repeaters on the wings, had to keep reminding the boys in the test centre that they had wrap around lenses

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Yea I used to get a bit of grief getting the starlet GT through with no side repeaters on the wings, had to keep reminding the boys in the test centre that they had wrap around lenses
I'd probably have an easier time because my car is older. Hopefully.

sickomotorsport

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot 205, own
Screenshot_20190211-184207.png

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Screen shot of dva testers manual which is what is used in the north of Ireland and Is a legal document.

An MOT manual does not supersede actual law. It's a quick 20 minute test for basic roadworthiness, nothing more and what you are quoting are the guidelines for that test only. And is apparent MOT is to a lesser standard or requirement

but it doesnt change the fact of when they became a legal requirement to be fitted to cars.

Last edited:

sickomotorsport

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot 205, own
The vehicle examiners follow that manual.... not the vehicle regulations in fact so you're wrong..... the examiners can't just go and start using the regulations you're talking about. It just doesn't happen.. .

sickomotorsport

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot 205, own
So in response to the guys original question of mot rules regarding side indicators it is pre 1996 going by n.i testers manual.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Side repeaters required from 1996 registered cars onwards.

It's not even side repeaters, the indicator needs to be visible from front, side and rear. Some early Toyota's have their front indicators shaped so they can been seen from a side view

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayman S
Anyone had their washers on their xenons tested recently? I've the washers but one of the hoses is scrap and it's dribbling water out from the arch instead. I really can't be arsed pulling the bumper off to replace the hose.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Anyone had their washers on their xenons tested recently? I've the washers but one of the hoses is scrap and it's dribbling water out from the arch instead. I really can't be arsed pulling the bumper off to replace the hose.

I've had them tested and also not had them tested, it just seems to depend on the tester.