Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Karlito

RMS Member
Drives
EJ9
[Updated by Admin: Please use this thread for all Northern Ireland Vehicle MOT Advice and Q&A, booking with DVTA etc]

You can apply for a MOT test online, by telephone, in person or by post. You should book your vehicle test as soon as you receive your reminder letter, which is sent to you seven weeks before your test is due. Vehicles can be tested up to 28 days before the expiry of their current test certificate without affecting the expiry date for the following year.

Just double double checking, if I MOT my car earlier than the certificate expiry will the remainder be carried over? Checked the internet and it says 30 days, but when booking says no earlier than 28 days.

MOT checklist for Northern Ireland:

Last edited by a moderator:

hardc0re_tid

RMS Regular
Drives
Phat Almera GTi
i wouldnt have thought so :confounded: im sure someone will be on to give the right info

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
This is true, up to a max of 28 days. Its been covered on here before. Will have a hoke for the thread involving an MOT tester (y)

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Infact check the stickied legal threads at the top of the forum and theres an MOT FAQ link and it mentions it in there about dates etc and confirms it (y)

stewarty.c

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda Premacy
I have just got myself a new motor which requires mot in a few weeks, I am going to book my MOT tomorrow but for the life of me I can't remember on the day of MOT do I need to bring any documents with me? Just I don't know if my V5C Tax book will be back in time.

Thanks in advance, Stew

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Nothing needed in my experience, though as your a new owner of the vehicle it would be recommended to carry your insurance policy and take the booking notice to the test with you.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Here, wouldn't it be a great idea if DVA made this information available, say whenever you book your MOT?

You need you V5 and appointment letter. good chance you may not be asked for it, but if its needed and you don't have it, you won't be able to be tested

stewarty.c

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda Premacy
Can I not bring the small slip that I keep from the tax book to say I have bought it and the tax book has been sent away ?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
They recommend you bring certain documents, in reality you can turn up with nothing and you'll still go through like everyone else.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
You wouldn't fail for that alone, most inspectors (including me) will put a note on as an advisory if the V5 isn't produced, many cars have incorrect date of reg on them as they were 1st used in the mainland and our system shows date 1st used in NI

So when the V5 isn't presented, we can't changed the date, and when the quality guys check this we get pulled up for not updating the system - if that makes sense

There are occassions when we do need to verify chassis numbers ect, so ideally always take your V5

a2b_recovery

Banned
Drives
recovery truck
You wouldn't fail for that alone, most inspectors (including me) will put a note on as an advisory if the V5 isn't produced, many cars have incorrect date of reg on them as they were 1st used in the mainland and our system shows date 1st used in NI

So when the V5 isn't presented, we can't changed the date, and when the quality guys check this we get pulled up for not updating the system - if that makes sense

There are occassions when we do need to verify chassis numbers ect, so ideally always take your V5

yea there was 3 fails on list,

thats the 1st time that has ever happened to be honest

what centre do you work in lad

t16mpy

Drives
BMW 325CI
Can anyone tell me if it's compulsory yet that an airbag light has to be out for mot, and does the airbag have to be in tact? Any advice is appreciated thanks

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!