Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Bryan

RMS Regular
never been asked for it

I was asked for the V5 once in all the times I have been there and it was the one and only time I haven’t had it with me but I did have the appointment letter which apparently wasn’t good enough. I got a right telling off for no reason apparently.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
My car has its first MOT on Friday, I have my V5C and it says you also need to bring your appointment letter along with you.

When I booked MOT, I opted for it to be emailed to me so they didn’t need to send me one out in the post, do I need to print this appointment confirmation they emailed me or can I just show it to the examiner on my phone?
You only need an appointment letter if 2 people turn up for the same appointment, whoever gets the letter, gets the test. (Along with other check before the "I HATE MOT CREW" jump on the bandwagon) V5C is needed particularly for the first test to confirm date of first reg if you are presenting early and want the extra days added on.

eamon343

RMS Regular
You only need an appointment letter if 2 people turn up for the same appointment, whoever gets the letter, gets the test. (Along with other check before the "I HATE MOT CREW" jump on the bandwagon) V5C is needed particularly for the first test to confirm date of first reg if you are presenting early and want the extra days added on.

How can 2 people show up for the same appointment? Surely they are booked under the registration and chassis number? So if two cars show up theres a big issue

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
How can 2 people show up for the same appointment? Surely they are booked under the registration and chassis number? So if two cars show up theres a big issue
Wouldn't be the first time it has happened.... A lot of people don't go to the payment stage of the online booking and think they have the appointment without paying.
DVA don't print this $4it on the back of the appointment letters to take up space, there are genuine reasons why this paperwork is requested.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Wouldn't be the first time it has happened.... A lot of people don't go to the payment stage of the online booking and think they have the appointment without paying.
DVA don't print this $4it on the back of the appointment letters to take up space, there are genuine reasons why this paperwork is requested.

In fairness when I was booking mine a couple of days ago, there was bold red text telling me my booking wasn’t confirmed until I had paid then when you pay it tells you in red it’s now confirmed.

Reactions: B.M

Jet9

RMS Regular
Took mine in this morning and asked the examiner to confirm that no warning lights were showing as on previous years the brake testing had caused the EML to activate.
He did so.
Of course the EML did activate during the brake test so I thought this should not be a problem.
But no........because a light was now showing he would not be allowed to pass it.
Everything else was good so he took me for a gentle drive around the complex and thankfully the light went out.
Apparently Golf R32 diffs are sensitive to this test.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I know it's been asked before but I've spent 10 mins searching and can't find what I'm looking for but how do you check the Mot history of a NI car? I seem to remember it's a phone call but can't remember if it was a specific location or any Mot centre..... I know I'm an idiot. Anybody able to help with this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben

Ricky

RMS Regular
I know it's been asked before but I've spent 10 mins searching and can't find what I'm looking for but how do you check the Mot history of a NI car? I seem to remember it's a phone call but can't remember if it was a specific location or any Mot centre..... I know I'm an idiot. Anybody able to help with this?

I wanted to find out a car’s mot history before so I just emailed the DVA with its registration number and they Emailed me back with some info.

I think they were only able to tell me the date, MOT Centre, whether the car passed or failed and its mileage for every MOT.

they weren’t able to tell me what minor defects it had (if any) and why it may have failed an MOT. They said they didn’t have this data available on their computer system, which is strange because I thought everything was recorded on computers.

I do wish they would implement the same system here as DVLA have done for the mainland were anyone can view a vehicle’s MOT history themselves online.

Last edited:

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I wanted to find out a car’s mot history before so I just emailed the DVA with its registration number and they Emailed me back with some info.

I think they were only able to tell me the date, MOT Centre, whether the car passed or failed and its mileage for every MOT.

they weren’t able to tell me what minor defects it had (if any) and why it may have failed an MOT. They said they didn’t have this data available on their computer system, which is strange because I thought everything was recorded on computers.

I do wish they would implement the same system here as DVLA have done for the mainland were anyone can view a vehicle’s MOT history themselves online.

Only looking date and milage. Thanks.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Took mine in this morning and asked the examiner to confirm that no warning lights were showing as on previous years the brake testing had caused the EML to activate.
He did so.
Of course the EML did activate during the brake test so I thought this should not be a problem.
But no........because a light was now showing he would not be allowed to pass it.
Everything else was good so he took me for a gentle drive around the complex and thankfully the light went out.
Apparently Golf R32 diffs are sensitive to this test.
Anyone else had a similar experience?
Did he do the brake test in 4wd mode (using a remote) or did he switch the engine off before the rollers started?

John J

RMS Member
Drives
THIS!
Hi Can I get advice?
I hear different things....my car had it's mot extended till 22nd August 2020.....do I have to apply for an MOT app. now, or will it be extended automatically?
Thanks
J

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Hi Can I get advice?
I hear different things....my car had it's mot extended till 22nd August 2020.....do I have to apply for an MOT app. now, or will it be extended automatically?
Thanks
J

Depends what changes between now and then.

One of mine was due today, and it was extended to Jan.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Depends what changes between now and then.

One of mine was due today, and it was extended to Jan.

They're going to have to draw a line in the sand at some point and everyone with a MOT due after that date needs to get booked in. Would imagine that line will be months off, possibly end of the year?