Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
The guy I done mine with put up on Facebook the other day that all tests were being cancelled due to the latest restrictions. This is what he put up:

ALL TESTS CANCELLED

Firstly I'd like to apologise to all our students for the difficulty and frustration this will cause. At 2.30pm on Friday 16 October....
(3 hours 30 mins notification) we have been told by the DVA we must stop all lessons. All tests booked from Monday 19th October 2020 for 4 weeks will be cancelled and the DVA will refund. Apologies again, but please note we have no control over the powers that be...
STAY SAFE.

cheers for that Nick - pretty ***** :worried: - who did you do with with? Must give them a follow for updates

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Mine is due December and has been extended already

F5AD97BE-F102-4DE6-BB87-63D2D673794D.png

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
Hi all, what’s the latest with the MOT. My wife’s car is due up today. Her Jazz is 5 and was due in April so got one extension already but reading the website, as far as I can make out she should be getting another one. Am I right? It is still showing as being up today. It does say it can take up to 7 days to update the website though.

thanks.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I was on the phone this morning to the DVA abs they had to get Newtownards to phone me to confirm that they had just added the exemption. I was told that t could take up to 24hrs for the website to change but it’s still showing as being up today. I will just have to wait and see what it says in the morning.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
All sorted now thankfully. The website updated after about 23hrs and we are all good to go. Just must have been one of the ones to slip through their procedures.

Reactions: dub

Chris0

RMS Regular
Just a quick question but I am looking at a car on an English plate which was registered down south for part of its life.
When it was last MOT’d in England it was done by the VIN to get it registered. I tried to see if I was able to book a MOT and it says the details are incorrect.

I think it is just because it was MOT’d on the VIN and not reg meaning the system doesn’t match the reg and VIN? Is this right?

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Just a quick question but I am looking at a car on an English plate which was registered down south for part of its life.
When it was last MOT’d in England it was done by the VIN to get it registered. I tried to see if I was able to book a MOT and it says the details are incorrect.

I think it is just because it was MOT’d on the VIN and not reg meaning the system doesn’t match the reg and VIN? Is this right?

If it isn't registered at a Northern Ireland address our MOT booking system will have no record of it. You will need to call the MOT booking line and have them add the vehicle to the database.

daz8161

RMS Regular
Just a quick question if anyone here knows and can confirm if this is correct. I bought a 3 year old car (June 2017) that was originally registered in England but the dealer had brought it to Northern Ireland and still had an English reg.

The MOT check states that its MOT is due on 29th December 2020 but when I try and book the MOT it says the car is not due its MOT until June 2021 (4 years from first registration) and wont let me book the car in.

I rang DVA and they stated that because the car is now registered in Northern Ireland it will not need its MOT until it is 4 years old even though the website says it is due on 29th December 2020.

Is this correct? Just afraid incase I get stopped by the fuzz after 29th December and they run the car on the MOT website and it says it was due an MOT..

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Just a quick question if anyone here knows and can confirm if this is correct. I bought a 3 year old car (June 2017) that was originally registered in England but the dealer had brought it to Northern Ireland and still had an English reg.

The MOT check states that its MOT is due on 29th December 2020 but when I try and book the MOT it says the car is not due its MOT until June 2021 (4 years from first registration) and wont let me book the car in.

I rang DVA and they stated that because the car is now registered in Northern Ireland it will not need its MOT until it is 4 years old even though the website says it is due on 29th December 2020.

Is this correct? Just afraid incase I get stopped by the fuzz after 29th December and they run the car on the MOT website and it says it was due an MOT..
Yea, now registered to NI address so falls under NI legislation of 4 years

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155

As said above, it doesn't need one here until 4 year anniversary. I have had a similar situation where I bought a car through a main dealer in England in October 2019 that was first registered in Jan 2017. They put an MOT on it as a matter or course even though it wasn't due until Jan '20 even in England. When that MOT ran out at the end of Oct 2020, I rang the DVA here and asked about getting an MOT etc and they said don't worry it's not due until Jan 21. I was also concerned that I could get a tug by the cops because it shows as having no MOT but they reckoned the cops here would be able to figure it out. I wasn't stopped of course and had no bother at all. Just got it MOT'd there last week.