Brake Disc Skimming

JB_VXR

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa Mito+e63 M6
Hi Folks,

Anyone know the best place to get brake discs skimmed? The closer to either Banbridge or Belfast the better.

A quick search turned up these guys, any others?
Tamroy Precision Engineering, Newtownards

Cheers,
Al.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
JB, Neil Graham @ Graham Engineering in Lurgan would prob do it for you.

I believe he has done so before for others

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Exact engineering / newry motor works on Rathfriland rd Newry can do them. They can groove then as well.

JB_VXR

RMS Regular
OP
JB_VXR
Drives
Alfa Mito+e63 M6
Thanks for the info guys, these are the XYZ's that are off the car already to be sold. Looking the rust and shiz taken off them as if they are nice and shiney they'll be easier to sell. Depending on the cost of the skimming obviously, too pricey and there's not much point.
Cheers,
Al.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
F#ck skimming them man, just sell the f#ck out of them

A

johnm

RMS Regular
get a circular saw, like the one used to cut metal with a big enough disc on it and run it round face of them. (holding the saw flat so it covers the whole disc in one go).
Thats what i did with the ones i bought, sand down with a file the edges and centre bit, job done.

takes half an hr and saves you a couple o quid.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
get a circular saw, like the one used to cut metal with a big enough disc on it and run it round face of them. (holding the saw flat so it covers the whole disc in one go).
Thats what i did with the ones i bought, sand down with a file the edges and centre bit, job done.

takes half an hr and saves you a couple o quid.

And how much brade judder did you end up with?

johnm

RMS Regular
none chief.
I just lightly pressed on it to take the surface gack of it. I didnt skim it as such were a fraction of the disc is removed.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
thread revival

has anybody started mobile brake disc skimming yet ?

I don’t know about a mobile service, but I am taking a Pair or discs to OD in Duncrue to have them skimmed this week.

Has anyone used them for that service before?

rotor_dude

RMS Regular
Drives
Rotary Power
thanks purplea4T

do you know what town he works from ?

i so miss nz sometimes, mega amount of mobile brake disc skimming vans about, discs are skimmed, on car, off car, also it was only $15 per disc, so like £15 per disc
they know how to charge here, probably cause its not a common thing done
always machine discs when fitting new pads

Last edited:

purplea4T

RMS Regular
thanks purplea4T

do you know what town he works from ?

i so miss nz sometimes, mega amount of mobile brake disc skimming vans, done discs on car, off car, also it was only $15 per disc, so like £15 per disc
He’s in Greenisland by night, Dundonald direction by day. They’ll need to be off the car though.

rotor_dude

RMS Regular
Drives
Rotary Power
i suppose it depends on the tip used for machining, some are £10-15 each, some are £20 and then some
you can machine a few discs with 1 tip though
probably also the disc material too,

me thinks its better to keep the factory discs and machine, than put on cheap ****te, that dont help with stopping lol

mine are factory mazda and have 1.8mm left, only need slight lip taken off, so worth machining etc

have always checked disc thickness and machined if enough meat depending on make of disc etc,
not the norm here though, probably why its more expensive to do here
set up time etc, most are probably using a lathe instead of the disc machine etc

Last edited:

purplea4T

RMS Regular
i suppose it depends on the tip used for machining, some are £10-15 each, some are £20 and then some
probably also the disc material too,

me thinks its better to keep the factory discs and machine, than put on cheap ****te, that dont help with stopping lol

mine are factory mazda and have 1.8mm left, only need slight lip taken off, so worth machining etc

have always checked disc thickness and machined if enough meat depending on make of disc etc,
not the norm here though, probably why its more expensive to do here
set up time etc, most are probably using a lathe instead of the disc machine etc
@fabiostar will do a superb job and won’t be hard to pay if you haven’t already got him. He’ll de-lip them on his big nasty lathe. He does quite the range of machined parts too!