Brake Disc Skimming

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@Daviddunlop83
Can't send a photo by pm unfortunately so here it is 💩
20230831_114443.jpg

The studs are M8 x 1.25 threads and I've drilled one out but my tap couldn't cut it (literally) due to the housing material. (Guessing stainless or inconel)
Difficult shape to securely hold for square drilling in a pillar drill or mill too so I had to do it freehand. 8o|

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
@Daviddunlop83
View attachment 409320
The studs are M8 x 1.25 threads and I've drilled one out but my tap couldn't cut it (literally) due to the housing material. (Guessing stainless or inconel)
Difficult shape to securely hold for square drilling in a pillar drill or mill too so I had to do it freehand. 8o|
Nut and bolt would suffice if you can’t get the housing threaded. They’re as hard as a wh0re's heart, which in turn man’s they can be very brittle and results in the housing material chipping and breaking instead of threading.

A quick Amazon/eBay search should return M8 copper locking nuts for manifolds and turbos as a standard nyloc nut obviously wouldn’t be suitable for that application.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, I have some locking copper nuts in stock IIRC and that's deffo an option if all else fails.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
1693486697289.png

@FM155 there what I was referring to. Whatever the problem is with the forum at the minute, quotes and uploading pics is becoming an epic fail.

Edit - and just like that, quoting, tagging and image uploads work… 🤦‍♂️😂

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good stuff! I've got 4 new studs and self locking nuts on order from Ford already for 5 times that price lol. :sob:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yeah, I have some locking copper nuts in stock IIRC and that's deffo an option if all else fails.

I haven’t just been there and got the T-shirt. I’ve a wardrobe full of the ****ing things dealing with that hassle daily in the past. Petrol turbos endure serious heat cycles, making things very delicate. Between studs snapping, housings cracking and wastegate seats splitting, there really should be a more suitable material available at this point.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Oh I'm sure you have, given where you used to work!
There is a suitable material, but it's too dear for a wee ford I guess.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
@Daviddunlop83
View attachment 409320

At least you didn’t break the tap off in the hole.

It can take hours to get them out sometimes and we don’t have an EDM spark machine 😂

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's why I stopped where I did, had a feeling things were going to get worse very quickly lol