Brake Disc Skimming

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
i suppose it depends on the tip used for machining, some are £10-15 each, some are £20 and then some
you can machine a few discs with 1 tip though
probably also the disc material too,

me thinks its better to keep the factory discs and machine, than put on cheap ****te, that dont help with stopping lol

mine are factory mazda and have 1.8mm left, only need slight lip taken off, so worth machining etc

have always checked disc thickness and machined if enough meat depending on make of disc etc,
not the norm here though, probably why its more expensive to do here
set up time etc, most are probably using a lathe instead of the disc machine etc

if i can fit them into my lathe its a simple enough job to do sir

pdevlin71

RMS Member
Drives
Audi RS5
"Resurfacing" this thread for some help.

I had a set of discs fitted recently and the inner pad on both sides was put in the wrong way around and caused some bad scoring.

As these are £500-600 a pair, looking to get damaged side skimmed.

Anyone still doing this?

Can't find OD in Drumcrue that's mentioned and not sure if @fabiostar has time

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7

I had a set of discs fitted recently and the inner pad on both sides was put in the wrong way around and caused some bad scoring.

Anyone still doing this?

P Taylor Engineering
74 Waterloo Road
BT27 5NW Ravernet
Lisburn
028 9266 0034

pdevlin71

RMS Member
Drives
Audi RS5
I'm curious too ....
Don't even ask.
This is what happens when an apprentice without supervision fits your discs and pads. He somehow managed to fit both left and right rear inner pads with the anti squeal plate touching the disc.

It was apparent quite quickly that something just wasn't right as soon as I drove out of the unit.

The garage has covered the costs of replacement but I'm still hoping to salvage the discs.

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
Don't even ask.
This is what happens when an apprentice without supervision fits your discs and pads. He somehow managed to fit both left and right rear inner pads with the anti squeal plate touching the disc.

It was apparent quite quickly that something just wasn't right as soon as I drove out of the unit.

The garage has covered the costs of replacement but I'm still hoping to salvage the discs.
Ah come on !!! They're liable for the whole lot . If your discs were serviceable and the youngster damaged them with the back to front pads then it's all on them. Do not accept this.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
@sam_9n done a set for me, no complaints, well, except for the fact they are $4ite discs and they warped again like he said they would lol

When I seen the words ‘well, except’

E3F4E27D-C2C1-4371-9BC0-6B1C5CD74FF5.jpeg

When I read the rest

1A480C88-69E2-4B8E-B57F-0CD6D9AF2850.jpeg

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
When I seen the words ‘well, except’

View attachment 377761

When I read the rest

View attachment 377762
Lasted about 1000 miles, was a hard 1000 miles as most of it was dragging the caravan but they are now worse than ever. Based on what you said about the hard spots I'm not even going to waste my time (or yours) skimming them again, will just replace them when I service the car.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Anyone still doing this?

OD are out near Carrowdore now.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Did they take over Tamroy's old place?

No idea who that is ?

I just know they moved from Belfast to out the Carrowdore direction a few years ago. They did have a FB page but can't seem to find it. any google stuff just seems to show the old Belfast stuff

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
No idea who that is ?

I just know they moved from Belfast to out the Carrowdore direction a few years ago. They did have a FB page but can't seem to find it. any google stuff just seems to show the old Belfast stuff
Tamroy was guys I used, used to be in Ards then moved to Carrowdore, retired couple of years ago so likely the same place. At the junction of Ballyblack Rd

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
I was asking about recently (have an engine that needs a bit of work) and was told Maintech in Carrowdore had bought the equipment/business?

Haven't gotten any further but it's across the road from Cardy Timber just before Cardy Corner if that helps.

Apologies if wrong!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
P Taylor Engineering
74 Waterloo Road
BT27 5NW Ravernet
Lisburn
028 9266 0034
Anyone got an up to date / alternative number for this man? Number no longer listed.

Got a Fiesta Ecoboost turbo with 2 snapped studs and everything is as hard as the hobs of hell, blunted a tap trying to insert one after spending over an hour drilling it out with a selection of cobalt drills....

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Anyone got an up to date / alternative number for this man? Number no longer listed.

Got a Fiesta Ecoboost turbo with 2 snapped studs and everything is as hard as the hobs of hell, blunted a tap trying to insert one after spending over an hour drilling it out with a selection of cobalt drills....

Peter Taylor 07483 409763

Maybe 02892 663205