Brake pad friction material coming away from plate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cro

RMS Regular
Had a bit of clicking when I braked so I thought I'd replace everything all round anyway while I'm there.

There was loads of wear left on the discs and the ds2500 pads were still like new, but as soon as I took one set of pads out the friction material fell off the metal back plate. Obviously the clicking noise was them moving around under load, surely this shouldn't happen at all aside from the fact they were still relatively new?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Have seen it regularly on cheap pads , surprised at it on ferodo .

I know u say they weren't much worn but were they old ?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Had a bit of clicking when I braked so I thought I'd replace everything all round anyway while I'm there.

There was loads of wear left on the discs and the ds2500 pads were still like new, but as soon as I took one set of pads out the friction material fell off the metal back plate. Obviously the clicking noise was them moving around under load, surely this shouldn't happen at all aside from the fact they were still relatively new?

Not unusual...but depends on many factors.

How often is the car used ?

Cro

RMS Regular
OP
Cro
Have seen it regularly on cheap pads , surprised at it on ferodo .

I know u say they weren't much worn but were they old ?
Not really sigh, a year or so.

Would there be an adhesive used to keep them on or how do they work? Would be handy as a backup set for the likes of going to the ring if they can be put back on

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Sorry. I meant damp storage of the pads prior to fitting. Ie whilst in the shelf in the motor factors.

Not the case with EBC. They are simply **** and fall apart anyway.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Daily driver would be unusual.

A car that sees infrequent use, or has maybe lay all winter, frost etc...more common.

Would be worth sending them back to Ferodo with a complaint.

It does happen, but of course it really should not happen.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I had the friction material on ebc pads on the rear of my bora crack in 2 and split from the backing plate, tho I was missing the shimes and the pads rattled about a little.

I'm sure yours aren't moving about, but just thought it was worth mentioning

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
sorry to take over but iv been getting a pretty bad scraping noise coming off my brakes recently,I am driving the car only a few days a week now due to other travel arrangements for work ao I thought it was just oxidisation on the discs that would burn off after hard breaking but it doesnt
any idea what it could be??

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Could be loads of things. Rust build up on the unswept part of the disc etc.

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
I discovered the same thing yesterday on my daily, one of the pads had failed due to rust getting between the main plate and the frictional material:

6-4.jpg

7-4.jpg

Originally I thought I had just cooked the brakes and worn a pad right down as there was scoring on the disc but it's a new one on me. Car had lay about for a long time doing feck all in the salt air so that could have been a contributing factor.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I discovered the same thing yesterday on my daily, one of the pads had failed due to rust getting between the main plate and the frictional material:

6-4.jpg

7-4.jpg

Originally I thought I had just cooked the brakes and worn a pad right down as there was scoring on the disc but it's a new one on me. Car had lay about for a long time doing feck all in the salt air so that could have been a contributing factor.

Corrosion, moisture and frost, fairy's...who knows

But it is far too common, and Ive seen it more on vehicles that do lie outside and dont get used often. Which basically let the above things take hold.

It is still ridiculous that it does happen...and probably Ferodo do seem one of the worst for it. Although have seen others too.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.