Brand New Clutch Slipping, Is That Normal?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

David McCracken

RMS Member
Drives
'10 leon cupra s
As the title says, got new clutch in pd150 fr Leon, done about 30 miles on it and it still slips just as the turbo kicks in about 2750 - 3250 rpm in 3rd and 4th ( done by a reputable mechanic )

Granted there's a bedding in time but can anyone advise what it would normally be?

Deliberately taking it VERY VERY easy as I dont want to cause any damage

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Exedy state 500 miles on some of their clutches, whereas other companies say no bedding in time is required.

Did you get a flywheel fitted at the same time? Old flywheel being warped/marked would affect the new clutch.

Also, did it require bleeding after installation...?

David McCracken

RMS Member
OP
David McCracken
Drives
'10 leon cupra s
It's a sachs kit, I'm reliably told it's OEM.

It was the dual mass flywheel that made me change in the first place so new DM flywheel and clutch.

I was also told that it was cleaned with brake cleaner (acetone or some other kind of spirit most likely).

No idea what you mean by "bled" but I assume if it needed done the guy would have done it! Heard v.good things about the mechanic

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Agreed, but not on a brand new kit surely. Must be heavy grease on there somewhere or perhaps faulty friction disc/flywheel.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Especially on a brand new clutch... If your mating 2 friction surfaces together, they generally need to get bedded in well so they can grip, such as new brake discs and pads. Abusing it out of the box (the way an aggressive map will) will not allow this to happen and can end up with a glaze over the flywheel, meaning the clutch plate wont grip it.

Also, are you sure it was the right clutch that was supplied and fitted? There is a lot of variants with those PD engines/boxes, so a mistake could well have happened and the clutch you now have fitted might not be fit to cope with the torque from the 150 engine...

David McCracken

RMS Member
OP
David McCracken
Drives
'10 leon cupra s
Well here's the thing, while doing the clutch etc I had her serviced and found a k&n panel filter, doesn't mean she's definitely been remapped but it means someone before me has had a fiddle! I'd like to think that a clutch for a car with 150 bhp has been designed to cope with at least 25% more to allow for wear!

TPS Provided the parts and they confirmed they were correct when we gave them the reg'.

I'll drive away at it (taking it easy of course) over the weekend and if it still slips after another 100 or so miles I'll have it checked out.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd a PD150 Leon FR and had to get a new DMF and clutch into it and it didn't slip at all.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Moved to Technical & Mechanical section.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have a vague recollection of someone putting their clutch on back to front - is this possible? and he was experiencing slippage!

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Is it a hydraulic activated clutch? Bled properly? Enough free play?

David McCracken

RMS Member
OP
David McCracken
Drives
'10 leon cupra s
can report that it is biting much better now that there's 60 miles on it. Haven't loaded it in 5th or 6th but you wouldn't need to!

Thought I'd better let you's know so ppl can refer back to this in future (that's why these forums exist afterall!)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.