Budget 2004 350z DE

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
Screenshot_20211011-110229_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20211011-110215_Photos.jpg

Had an absolute blast with this at Kirkiston yesterday!! Performed really well and the only casualties were the rear pads and front wheel centre caps!

Rear pads (new in june)
Screenshot_20211011-110604_Samsung Internet.jpg

And after yesterday 🤣
20211010_185716.jpg
20211010_185729.jpg

Gearbox is definitely whining more loudly and will need to look at it next!
But still really enjoying this yoke. And think going to book into next trackskills day (weather dependent)

Attachments

• 20211010_185729.jpg
    20211010_185729.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 32

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Looks like the hard work fixing this up is rewarding you. I've always like the 350Zs. :cool:

When you see how badly these newer Z cars rust it makes me surprised mine wasn't worse than it was. :eek:

Not trying to be rude but realise it may come across that way, just trying to assess myself. If someone asks you can you weld do you say yes? I'm still in the learning process myself and have a long way still to go. But I have in my mind that I am not able to say yes until I can make not only functional welds but really neat ones also, not the level of the pro fabricators, but to a decent high standard. I'm just thinking because I am highly fussy and want perfection perhaps I am setting my bar too high, perhaps a level I may not reach. I am currently happy to weld things together for myself, but if asked can I weld I will not feel happy to say I can weld.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
Looks like the hard work fixing this up is rewarding you. I've always like the 350Zs. :cool:

When you see how badly these newer Z cars rust it makes me surprised mine wasn't worse than it was. :eek:

Not trying to be rude but realise it may come across that way, just trying to assess myself. If someone asks you can you weld do you say yes? I'm still in the learning process myself and have a long way still to go. But I have in my mind that I am not able to say yes until I can make not only functional welds but really neat ones also, not the level of the pro fabricators, but to a decent high standard. I'm just thinking because I am highly fussy and want perfection perhaps I am setting my bar too high, perhaps a level I may not reach. I am currently happy to weld things together for myself, but if asked can I weld I will not feel happy to say I can weld.
I ain't no welder 🤣

Welding clean steel is easy, but welding near 20 year old tin foil jap steel with rot is a completely different ball game. I don't mind dickying this car up as its a cheap bit of fun. The welds might look terrible (bird **** welds), but they are perfectly functional. Most of the areas I went at with the welder are not structural anyway.
The only structural portion was the back of the sills.
And it was only tack welded originally, now has full beads across it.

No way would I even contemplate taking the welder to anything fresher, let alone your zed!🤣

Don't worry, you'll not offend me that easy 😜🤣

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Welding clean steel is easy, but welding near 20 year old tin foil jap steel with rot is a completely different ball game.
Yes, I haven't even got a far as trying to weld old steel. Still trying to make my clean steel welds look how I want. I would only be able to weld clean metal to clean metal I believe anyhow as I am using TIG so its more sensitive to cleanliness of the metal, probably would need a MIG also if I wanted to do anything short of full on perfect replacement panels. I do intend to also add a semi decent MIG to my toy shop at some point, many things to buy before that.

The welds might look terrible (bird **** welds), but they are perfectly functional
I am sure they are. This was one of my points, perhaps for now I should not worry about the prettiness of my welds, at least they are properly functional.

No way would I even contemplate taking the welder to anything fresher, let alone your zed!🤣
I'm sure I'd never be able to let myself near anything other than fixer upper cars, the civic or Z are unlikely to be touched by my torch, the mazda daily on the other hand, if it needs it I would give a go at.

I do intend to practice my way through a whole bottle of Argon the net time I am on leave.

Dieseldes

RMS Regular
View attachment 338528View attachment 338529

Had an absolute blast with this at Kirkiston yesterday!! Performed really well and the only casualties were the rear pads and front wheel centre caps!

Rear pads (new in june)View attachment 338530
And after yesterday 🤣View attachment 338531View attachment 338532

Gearbox is definitely whining more loudly and will need to look at it next!
But still really enjoying this yoke. And think going to book into next trackskills day (weather dependent)
I wouldn't let bad weather put you of doing a trackday at kirkistown. In the wet everything just happens at a slower speed, but it's more involving as you can get right up on the edge of grip more easily. I would much rather be floating about at 50mph Vs 80. Not that floating about is the goal, but you get my point.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
OP
thefool1983
UPDATE!!
Finally got the oil leak sorted on this over Christmas. Only started leaking badly in march! Two new rocker cover gaskets, what a faff that was!

Got a test this morning at Mallusk late last night (first time trying).
Happy days!
20230107_103733~2.jpg

Then I decided to give it a good clean!
was disappointed at the hybrid leaving a haze, thought it was out of date or something.... Until I realised I was using the similar coloured/bottled Trim!! @Big Pimp 🤣
So half the car is polished with interior trim cleaner!
16731128661891644523110704238948.jpg

Here's the good side.

20230107_151811.jpg
Good to have it back on the rd. When's the first Trackskills?!