Buffing for Beginners

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Hi Guys,

looking for someone to advise me on a Budget Buff that will be handy for keeping on top of my race car bodywork, it’s only done a couple of days out and it has gathered a few marks which I think could be easy sorted..

Looking to remove some light scores, touch up and wet sand some stone chips..

What polishes or compounds would be good to start with?

C407D20E-2AF7-4780-9ED9-AE4B3CB63E0F.jpeg

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
Marc Leddy at Polished and Waxed does training days and has access to multiple and varied machines so you can try a few to find which suits you..... also @big_pete from PMG does information and training...... not sure how either are set up post Covid

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Really wouldn't have the interest to do a training day.. I hate cleaning.. no offence intended @big_pete

I'm Just looking to have a bash at it to take a bad look off it touchups etc..

@pablo I'll be in touch for a lend & maybe you or @Boydie could give me a crash course :laughing:

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
If you just want to try it out, most of the readily available DA polishers won’t do much damage even if not wielded 100% correctly ...... but wet sanding as a novice would set alarm bells off for me......

Might be better speaking with Davy at Procar and he’ll set you up with the machine/polish/pads at point of sale when you explain what you need

lots of online video tutorials too

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
If you just want to try it out, most of the readily available DA polishers won’t do much damage even if not wielded 100% correctly ...... but wet sanding as a novice would set alarm bells off for me......

Might be better speaking with Davy at Procar and he’ll set you up with the machine/polish/pads at point of sale when you explain what you need

lots of online video tutorials too

But it is a Race car, so it won't be judged by anyone and i'm not looking for a factory finish.. just to take the bad look touchups.. or put a shine on an area I have to blow in with a rattle can (y)

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I don't offer training any more as I just don't have the time for it and Marc at Polished and Waxed has an excellent training programme.

I would suggest a long throw DA. A rupes lhr15 will probably be more than you will want to spend so look at the likes of a shine mate.

As a very versatile compound Zvizzer MC and a mix of Zvizzer orange, yellow and red pads will let you tackle as much as you need.

A normal 8mm DA won't have the balls to tackle sanding really and a rotary will carry too much risk for a novice.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
As an alternative, would you consider having PPF installed on the bonnet and bumper?

The Paintwork is beyond that already from two test days, it would need to have to been installed as it left the bodyshop.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
What about a coating of Gtechniq Aerocoat? @big_pete recommended it to me for the Westie

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
What about a coating of Gtechniq Aerocoat? @big_pete recommended it to me for the Westie

No point dude, waste of money on a race car..

It’s covered in rash already, sealing the paint won’t stop stone chips or scrapes.

Different on the Gelcoat where doesn’t chip so easily!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
since you're a practical type @IL , i would honestly say just get your hands on a rotary and don't bother fannying about with anything else. I bought a porter cable DA and a makita rotary at the same time when i first tried it and the porter cable got used once and never again! I've stuck with the makita ever since.

Its obvious you just want something quick and powerful to spruce up the bodywork when needed (a la rattle can finish). you wont go far wrong with one of the cheap sealey rotaries and a couple of pads and a couple of polishes for your needs.

I bought the heap back in the day and found that 90% of stuff was done by only a couple of pads/polish combos so dont sweat it too much. don't let the fear put you off! :laughing:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
since you're a practical type @IL , i would honestly say just get your hands on a rotary and don't bother fannying about with anything else. I bought a porter cable DA and a makita rotary at the same time when i first tried it and the porter cable got used once and never again! I've stuck with the makita ever since.

Its obvious you just want something quick and powerful to spruce up the bodywork when needed (a la rattle can finish). you wont go far wrong with one of the cheap sealey rotaries and a couple of pads and a couple of polishes for your needs.

I bought the heap back in the day and found that 90% of stuff was done by only a couple of pads/polish combos so dont sweat it too much. don't let the fear put you off! :laughing:

Yes this is 100% the kind of repairs i'm talking about.. Rattle blow in, quick flat and polish type repair..

I Can't see what all the Rotary fear really is, I have used one in the past when I buffed my mums year old black 911 with my Cousins Makita! :eek:

Must have got lucky!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
You'll be grand. Its just like working on your car etc, you dont swing off the spanner when tightening stuff up or be to heavy handed. I would just say watch plastics, and watch panel edges, and like everyone else out there you'll only learn by getting your hands on it yourself.
best thing is, worst case scenario you do buff through (you'd need to be ridiculously heavy handed to do that and ignore the signs) you can just blast it with can and go at it again when its cured! win win

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
It's not necessarily a fear thing. A long throw DA is a much better tool nowadays. I rarely use a rotary anymore

-Pete-

RMS Regular
I wouldn't be surprised things have moved on, my makita is fairly heavy and you definitely feel it after prolonged use. seems like they've made a lot of refinements to thing these days. just back then it was pretty much the sealey/makita/dewalt or a porter cable but you're going back 20 years. I'd be more shocked if there weren't new innovations in that time. Im sure they cost a fair whack more too though than a cheapo sealey rotary for occasional use. I got lucky getting my makita pre owned, still a very good machine with the auto load/speed control

John_MK5

RMS Regular
most motorfactors will have a polisher in stock, for the jobs i be at i dont need anything fancy so i use a sealey machine, ebay for the 3 pack of 3m fast cut plus, fine cut and glaze. it usually comes with 3 3m pads and a microfibre also. suits me 100% for the buses and the rally cars.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
most motorfactors will have a polisher in stock, for the jobs i be at i dont need anything fancy so i use a sealey machine, ebay for the 3 pack of 3m fast cut plus, fine cut and glaze. it usually comes with 3 3m pads and a microfibre also. suits me 100% for the buses and the rally cars.

Good man John, that’s the shopping list for Friday! 👏👏

Ollie

RMS Regular
Anyone have a cheap polisher they would sell? Only need it for one job and will probably never be used again lol. Sealey/draper/ebay special?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Anyone know of a good recommendation for a pack that comes with all basic pads to get started, or is it usually a case of financially better buying separate?

Where do folk buy their compound and glaze? Again this is like the above, just for a quick spruce up, no show cars or pro use, but don't want total ***** either.

Reactions: IL

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Anyone know of a good recommendation for a pack that comes with all basic pads to get started, or is it usually a case of financially better buying separate?

Where do folk buy their compound and glaze? Again this is like the above, just for a quick spruce up, no show cars or pro use, but don't want total ***** either.

I get about 80% of my stuff from @Davey@Procar