Buffing for Beginners

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Anyone know of a good recommendation for a pack that comes with all basic pads to get started, or is it usually a case of financially better buying separate?

Where do folk buy their compound and glaze? Again this is like the above, just for a quick spruce up, no show cars or pro use, but don't want total ***** either.

I have this wee package on offer at the mo.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Thought I'd use this thread instead of starting another one.
I bought a DA yesterday, never used one in my life.. just looking some guidance to get me started.
My car doesn't need much buffing, it was wet sanded last year so it's really just a quick going over before waxing.
These are the pads that came with it.. are they ok to use or should I buy better ones?/what ones?

1632558051950.png

Was thinking of getting this stuff since it's a non abrasive polish

And then giving it a coat of wax. Sort of tempted to try their ceramic kit but seems risky.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
My advice is use good pads. 👍

100% this.

One of the biggest issues is knowing where to start. 10 different people will recommend 10 different combinations and that's before even knowing how your paint will react to that combo and also how much you want to either cut or refine.

My recommendation is to go with a tried and tested system like the Rupes or Zvizzer system. Personally, I use a mix of Meguiars, Rupes and some Shine Mate pads and as for liquids I use Meguiars, Rupes and CarPro.

All these options are all after you have gone through a full chemical decontamination (full wash, iron fallout, T&G removal etc) and maybe even a mechanical one (claying the surface if needed).

The final piece of the puzzle, before applying your protection is to also use quality microfiber cloths and keeping your 'working' environment as clean as possible.

There are a few detailing supplies shops dotted around the country and I'd highly recommend you call into your local place and speak with them and get some advice 👍🏼

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Thanks all. Feeling overwhelmed 😂 think I need to just pick something and try it

KevM

RMS Regular
I did a badly scratched XTrail today. Big pad as hard as the road to take the scratches down and a soft waffle-head to finesse the holograms away

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Was speaking with the previous owner and he recommended rupes yellow pads and megs ultimate polish. Works great with the paint. So I'll try that