Bulb Warning Light

Nimravus

RMS Member
Hi Folks, is a bulb warning light an MOT failure? I have standard bulbs everywhere, all of them lighting ok. I've replaced a couple of bulbs I thought looked ever so slightly discoloured but no joy. Connecting an OBD scanner shows no faults but weirdly when I go in to the Electronic Central Electric section the dashboard light goes and then comes back on when I leave that category. MOT in December and struggling to find out what the lighting fault is.

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
What car is it? My 2009 Vectra would dim the brake lamp element to make up for a blown tail lamp. Would also show a blow lamp warning light. To find the blown lamp, you had to check every lamp physically

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
It's a 2013 Octavia. (mk3) I had both rear light clusters out this afternoon checking every bulb & replaced one which looked a bit discoloured. What I noticed though is that the bulb I replaced would occasionally dim ever so slightly, so I'm wondering if it's something else maybe affecting bulbs. I'm happy to keep probing and checking everything but with an MOT not too far away I need to get it resolved sooner rather than later if it would cause a failure.

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Possibly a bad earth some where. Has it had crash damage repaired or a tow bar fitted? No signs of water ingress anywhere?

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
Possibly a bad earth some where. Has it had crash damage repaired or a tow bar fitted? No signs of water ingress anywhere?
No tow bar fitted & I've had it for almost 8 years with no crash damage. I've seen folks online with a similar issue in VAG cars but I haven't really seen a solution as to why it happens.

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
Had a similar issue on the first mk7 golf when it came out, it was software update
Hi Jason, when you say it was a software update, is that something a Skoda dealer will have to do.

Thanks for all the replies by the way folk, much appreciated.

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
Wont fail MOT for that but if you know someone woth VCDS it will tell you exactly where the problem is. Upper brake light brings it on if more that 2 or 3 of the leds are out
Nice to hear it won't fail the MOT due to it being lit, that'll give me a bit of breathing space while I get to the bottom of it. Top brake LED's all seem lit as well. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with VCDS, it's a bit of a frustrating issue.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
My Passat was doing this and after 2.5 years changing bulbs etc it turned out to be the tow bar electrics. Multiple rear lights started failing and I found a rats nest of melted wires cut and twist covered in heat shrink. John Wayne must have fitted the tow bar took me a couple of hours hours with a soldering iron to put right. It might be worth pulling the carpet back and checking the tail light loom isn’t butchered.

Jason

RMS Regular
Hi Jason, when you say it was a software update, is that something a Skoda dealer will have to do.

Thanks for all the replies by the way folk, much appreciated.
Car showed up as having bulb out but didnt tell you which one, ended up going to VW for software update problem solved.

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
Thanks again folks. I'll continue to check things and also look into the software update from Skoda. Much appreciated everyone & I'll be sure to update with what the solution was.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
my son has a seat leon and the dash warning light to tell you a bulb is out has been on for the last couple of years. its a couple of the LEDs in the high level brake light that is his problem. its not an M O T failure so drive away.

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
my son has a seat leon and the dash warning light to tell you a bulb is out has been on for the last couple of years. its a couple of the LEDs in the high level brake light that is his problem. its not an M O T failure so drive away.
Brilliant to know it's not an MOT failure as frustrating as it is. Thank you.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Nice to hear it won't fail the MOT due to it being lit, that'll give me a bit of breathing space while I get to the bottom of it. Top brake LED's all seem lit as well. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with VCDS, it's a bit of a frustrating issue.
I have a cracked version in Ballynahinch if that's any use, happy to scan it for you.

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
I have a cracked version in Ballynahinch if that's any use, happy to scan it for you.
Thanks so much for the offer, unfortunately the problem I have at the minute though is I'm on-call for work a bit and on the other side of Belfast up in Newtownabbey so travel in the evenings is a bit awkward in case I get called in. I could give you a shout when I'm no longer on-call to see if it suited you. Out of interest, would VCDS pick up faults that an OBD scanner wouldn't find? As I mentioned earlier, when I go in to the section 09 Electronic Central Electrics on my scanner the light actually goes off, seems really weird.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Thanks so much for the offer, unfortunately the problem I have at the minute though is I'm on-call for work a bit and on the other side of Belfast up in Newtownabbey so travel in the evenings is a bit awkward in case I get called in. I could give you a shout when I'm no longer on-call to see if it suited you. Out of interest, would VCDS pick up faults that an OBD scanner wouldn't find? As I mentioned earlier, when I go in to the section 09 Electronic Central Electrics on my scanner the light actually goes off, seems really weird.
Its dealer level, I find it very accurate. But yeah, weekends or evenings, drop me a pm đź‘Ť

Nimravus

RMS Member
OP
N
I've a genuine copy of VCDS here if you get stuck, not far from the Belfast side of the Hightown Road
That would actually be really handy for me, I'm just on the other side of the Hightown in Glengormley, I'm not too far from you at all. Can I just say you's are a super helpful bunch on these forums, yourself and NI Volvo Nut as well as the other advice folks have mentioned. I could maybe send you a wee message once my on-call rota ends, I could pop over as it would be considerably handier than Ballynahinch as much as I appreciate NI Volvo Nuts offer. Thanks very much Stephen.