*bump*

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rugrat

RMS Photographer
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
Driving down M2 into Belfast this morning when everyone in front braked suddenly - I too braked and stopped safely. Few seconds later *bang* into back of me :sob: No-one hurt (three new car share people with me this morning!) but looks like cupra needs new bumper - it's all cracked and scraped.

Rang police to report accident but as no-one hurt and we were in agreement that the other driver was paying for damage they weren't interested ^o)

pablo

RMS Moderator
nightmare rugz - whiplash claims all round then? :laughing:

I hope you got something in writing people have a nasty habit of changing their story once they hear the price of the repair

rugrat

RMS Photographer
OP
rugrat
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
The police are not interested - I couldn't force them to come out.

The lady has written her details in my diary, I did feel sorry for her. It was just bad luck - she did brake or she could have shunted me into car in front.

I now have joy of ringing around for body repair shops - recommend a good one?

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
rugrat said:
The police are not interested - I couldn't force them to come out.
Was there not something passed recently that the cops will not attend an accident unless there is a dispute over the fault or if theres been a law actually broken?

Nordonian

RMS Regular
yeah, same thing happend me in town one day, had a bump rang police so as to get written confirmation from them just ont he off chance that the third party started messing me around about paying for damages, when i called them they said if no ones injured there is no need for us to attend

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
how badly damaged is it?

any chance of a pic?

might be cheaper to get a new bumper (maybe 1 from Ultimate Velocity, lol)

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
either that or say the other driver was driving like a loon, or acting in a threatning manor....

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
yes the police will ask if anyone is hurt and if you say no then they are not obliged to attend the scene.

In my opinion,its worth saying someone is injured to get the police out to record the fault of the other person - ive heard too many times of people admiting blame at the scene then solicitors letters arrive claiming the exact opposite and with no police report it ends up being your word against theirs. At least always try and get a 3rd party witness.

rugrat

RMS Photographer
OP
rugrat
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
Police asked was anyone hurt - no - are you and other driver able to sort this out - yes - ok, we don't come out!

Need new bumper, bumper rail and support - quotes so far are appx £700.

I had three passengers so plenty of witnesses to both accident and the other driver apologising and admitting responsibility.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
kris is right and as long as they fill in an accitent reported form yer grand ;)

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
VEN©M said:
yes the police will ask if anyone is hurt and if you say no then they are not obliged to attend the scene.

In my opinion,its worth saying someone is injured to get the police out to record the fault of the other person - ive heard too many times of people admiting blame at the scene then solicitors letters arrive claiming the exact opposite and with no police report it ends up being your word against theirs. At least always try and get a 3rd party witness.

would definately agree with that, you should really get something in writing and a signature beside it. my sister learnt the hard way. some dozy bag drove in to the side of her brand new (at the time) mk4 golf and bust the wing and bumper. it was totally the other persons fault and she admitted it at the time, was very nice about it and so they both swapped details and went on they way. the next day my sister phoned her to talk about getting the repairs paid for and the other girl said you may speak to my solicitor cos i'm not paying a bean, it wasnt my fault. to cut a long story short, my sisters insurance company said that if she took the girl to court she would most likely win but they werent prepared to pay up initially to find out. so tough titties. my sister lost her 4 years no claims. unbelievable.

at least i know now that if anything happens, dont trust ANYONE.

you'll be fine rugrat as you say you have passengers to back up your statement if need be. hope it gets sorted quickly.

as for bodyshops, havent a clue!

Johnski

RMS Regular
CapMan said:
Was there not something passed recently that the cops will not attend an accident unless there is a dispute over the fault or if theres been a law actually broken?

Very true. Police only attend accidents where someone is injured or there is damage to property.

It doesn't matter if this lady indeed decides later that it wasn't her fault. The mere fact that she has run into the back of you is usually sufficient for insurance companies to indicate blame.

This is also regardless of what solicitors say as the fact the lady has ran into the back of you indicates it was her fault. People go to solicitors thinking they will get them off the hook with something...when really they are making money from them knowing there is no chance of getting them off.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.