Bumpstops (Transit Custom)

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
Has anybody any first hand experience of replacing the bumpstops on a Transit Custom?
I've a Custom myself and find it very bouncy in the rear, I carry no weight and it's a nightmare.
I know a few people who have cut the bump stops in the Van's and really helps but then they apparantly bottom out easier.
I read online somewhere that replacing with ones from a Custom Sport model is the way to go, designed to be shorter etc and seriously improved driving on bad roads etc

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Are you bottoming out and hitting the bump stops?

egvti

RMS Regular
Drives
eg vti civic
There a bouncey **** with no weight in the back bump stops only come into play when the suspension drops far enough to actually hit them

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Are you sure it’s not topping out, as opposed to bottoming out? They sit very high at the rear when unloaded, and after painfully watching 1 go down a country road in front of me earlier this week, I can only imagine they’re horrible to drive.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Maybe the shocks are worn and there's not enough damping?

egvti

RMS Regular
Drives
eg vti civic
Are you sure it’s not topping out, as opposed to bottoming out? They sit very high at the rear when unloaded, and after painfully watching 1 go down a country road in front of me earlier this week, I can only imagine they’re horrible to drive.

I drove one two weeks ago they're shocking to drive they are over sprung in my opinion but are designed to carry weight but compared to trafic or transporter they are savage bouncey the other two are like cars

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
Yeah savage bouncy surely!! That's were I was reading on the Transit forums to use the custom sport bumpstops but according to the Ford garage here they are the same ones. Theyve ordered ones out of a 310 Custom to see if they are different

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
I was speaking ti a man last week who cut his bumpstops and made a huge difference in comfort but his van bottoms out sometimes now. Obviously shorter is better but standard ones cut are to soft

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Theres no way bump stops are coming into play when you say you carry no weight.

That’s what I’d have been thinking. I can’t imagine it would be bottoming out unless driven really hard.

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
That's what I thought aswell but after speaking to a good few people everybody seems to say the same!! Getting a tow bar fitted tomorrow so the mechanic is going to do a bit of investigating to see if he can spot anything wrong.