Bus lane fine

benuk

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Cupra
Anyone any experience of these, how long do you have it I wait for a letter?

Was undertaking someone turning right last week and drove into the bus lane without thinking. 50m ahead was one of those cars with a camera.

To complicate things I’ve just moved house, although have have a mail redirection.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Might be OK? I had always assumed that there's discretionary allowance for using the bus lane. I certainly wouldn't think twice about going round the inside of someone provided it was only a single car.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I nipped into the tail end of the bus lane outside Europa into the empty traffic lane and got fined. came about a week later iirc

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Edit to add:

You can cross a bus lane:

• to turn left into a side road next to a bus lane - however, you must turn as close as possible to the junction (it is considered reasonable that the turn should be made within one vehicle length of the junction)
  • to turn right across a bus lane to enter a side street - however, you must make the turn as close as possible to the junction (it is considered reasonable that the turn should be made within one vehicle length)
  • to access a lay-by, for example disabled bay, loading bay or parking bay alongside a bus lane
  • to access a private entrance (provided it is a vehicular access and the vehicle does not wait in the bus lane) - you must make the turn as close as possible to the access point (it is considered reasonable that the turn should be made within one vehicle length)
  • if a driver chooses to undertake a vehicle in front that is waiting to turn right they should make sure that they do so safely and immediately return their vehicle to the running lane after completing the manoeuvre

I reckon you'll be dead on. Don't sweat it (unless you undertook a row of cars lol).

benuk

RMS Regular
OP
benuk
Drives
Seat Cupra
Might be OK? I had always assumed that there's discretionary allowance for using the bus lane. I certainly wouldn't think twice about going round the inside of someone provided it was only a single car.

Would be nice! Hopefully

scub

Banned
no discretion given to me. reckon I was in the one outside the europa for approx 5 seconds & they got me. I appealed, they turned it down. back & forward a couple more times as they tried to charge the full 150 quid odds while it was on appeal, as opposed to 40 or 60 whatever the initial fine was.
gave up & didn't hear any more. that will be 3 years ago this Xmas eve!
probably still on file somewhere mind you!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's a nightmare in England with private operators on commission and all the rest of it.

Hope there's a bit more common sense here and you don't get a fine for that.

But if you're in a bus lane then they can fine you.

Any discretion is exactly that - discretion, not a right.

Same as speeding and everything else. If someone wants to issue a ticket for 31 in a 30 or 73 on a motorway or for going 10 seconds over on parking or whatever then they can and do.

And there's nothing anyone can do about it. You can try to appeal and make your case but it's a bit of a palaver and the result random at best. Not really worth the bother...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No-one has ever been done for 31 in a 30 or 73 in a 70.

The website above clearly states that moving round a turning car is permitted too.