Buying a BMW 5 Series F10

DMCG

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Sierra
Well lads hows things ,

Ive been on the lookout this last 2 months for a BMW 5 series F10 but have found myself stuck between 2 options to go for.

Commonly in Northern Ireland I've seen a pattern that the only real market for them over here is the 520D model on the used car market compared to UK mainland which there is wide variety .. but the 2.0D which seems to give alot of troublesome issues (chain mainly) (N47 engine) so I've done abit of research and found that the new B47 engine has done away with that problem so I've put my search for LCI 2014 onwards F10s and they seem to make big money in N.I compared to UK mainland.

I then found that in most cases 530D Msport LCI F10 in Mainland UK seem to be cheaper than the 520D Msport in Northern Ireland.

That said I've been looking more towards a 530D F10 LCI with all the extras but just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the F10 530D and what problems do they usually give opposed the the 520D?

And whats your thoughts on the 520D ?

Thoughts and opinions welcome !

Thanks lads

Jason

RMS Regular
I'd go for the 530 myself if I was given the options, @Jas Lad could bring you in a nice car from England also.
Yes I could source you a nice one no problem

Wouldn't even consider a pre LCI in this age. 530 are a nice driving machine, though not without their problems, though the 520d shares them all too.

520D in an F10 is pretty gutless to be fair! Drives ok but deffo no "go"

Send me a PM with your requirements I'll see whats available.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Know it’s not going to be the same but my 320D was just about ok to put up with. I can’t imagine how poor it be in a larger 5 series. Unless it’s mapped up considerably.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
If you can stretch to like of our G30 520D you'd be very surprised how it goes, although everythings gone light weight in the 5 series, doors etc.
The G30 is a great car. My Dad's has just turned 4 and it's been flawless to date. The only thing in hindsight would have been he'd have been better off getting a 520i over a 520d.

The car only has 22k miles on it in that time, and when BMW gave him a 520i loaner whilst his own car was in getting serviced, it got remarkably good MPG. Pretty sure from memory he got 48-49 from it on a trip from Derry to Nutt's Corner.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Brother in law has a 2014 530d M-Sport. Has had it 3 years and other than servicing, he has never put so much as a bulb in it. Great car and they have aged so well.