Buying a car without a full vehicle history check

edward96

RMS Member
Drives
land rover
Hey. Being new to this forum, I do apologise if I have posted in the wrong section.

Recently, my daughter bought a car. Her purchase was a private sale from "car dealer". She realized it hadn't been fully history checked and her boyfriend did one. After the accident, parts of the car were replaced with parts from a different vehicle. Now she is stuck with a car that she has paid too much for, and she isn't sure where she stands legally. According to the laws, she has the right to get her money back, however, obviously, the "car dealer" does not agree with this, saying they weren't aware of the history of it.

Any assistance, advice, or insight would be appreciated.

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
What age is the car and when you say parts from another car, do you mean (just) a wing or a door or more rather airbags, dashboard, chassis leg(s) radiators, suspension etc?

Last edited:

dddrrift

RMS Regular
she should have done her own due diligence. If it was a private sale then im afraid she has not much hope of recovering anything. If it was a dealer then that is a different story, and she may have some form of comeback. If it was a 'dodgy dave' dealing from his driveway then again, you are going to have to prove he is a car dealer, which again, that could be quite difficult.

If its been repaired to a decent standard, and everything checks out mechanically then I would just take it as a lesson learned and drive away at it to try and recover something from the senario. A few parts/panels changed etc is not the end of the world, it just sounds as if she is kicking herself that she overpaid on it in the first place.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Hey. Being new to this forum, I do apologise if I have posted in the wrong section.

Recently, my daughter bought a car. Her purchase was a private sale from "car dealer". She realized it hadn't been fully history checked and her boyfriend did one. After the accident, parts of the car were replaced with parts from a different vehicle. Now she is stuck with a car that she has paid too much for, and she isn't sure where she stands legally. According to the laws, she has the right to get her money back, however, obviously, the "car dealer" does not agree with this, saying they weren't aware of the history of it.

Any assistance, advice, or insight would be appreciated.

There cannot be a "private sale" from a car dealer.

Seek legal advice. How long after the sale is this ?

Bryan

RMS Regular
I don't know why people get so hung up about repaired cars. They were built once so what is wrong with being built again. Obviously so long as it's done right and not two cars welded together down the middle. If it passes an MOT, is reliable and looks presentable drive on.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I don't know why people get so hung up about repaired cars. They were built once so what is wrong with being built again. Obviously so long as it's done right and not two cars welded together down the middle. If it passes an MOT, is reliable and looks presentable drive on.
This. It's not like body shops are short of work lol.

I'd guess a reasonable percentage of cars on the road have seen paint and panels at some point.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Presumably it's a Cat N or S or something? That affects the value. OP isn't clear on a few things tbh.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
i would,nt think twice about buying a repaired car. i think the problem arises when you don,t know it's been a repaired car before you bought it.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Depends on the value and when the accident was, if it was something e.g. 15 years old worth a couple of k it's not going to make much difference really, it's a cheap lesson, different if that's not the case - it's a more expensive lesson