Buying advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris-91

RMS Regular
Buying a bike for my dad as a present and need some pointers as I know very little about bikes.

It will be for his 60th so hes getting on a bit, I was thinking something like a touring bike for comfort, but isn't ridiculously heavy. Limited research has led me to perhaps a Honda pan european.

Any pointers for things to look for aside form the obvious miles/service history ect? Any models that come to mind.
Should add the budget is 5-6kish if possible.

NotKG

Banned
pan, 1100 and 1300 they are heavy, really heavy, i have a 07 -1300 model,
and if your explaining it right, light and tour maybe a wee 650/700 deauville.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I had a 1300 pan and they are very heavy to push around, especially tricky if his driveway is gravel or on a slope or you have it bump it up over a door ramp. But once moving they are easy to ride.
I'd agree with keng about the Deauville. Or look at Suzuki DL650 or the BMW F800ST or GT. Out those I'd choose the BMW personally.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
What bike does he have.... And have had? Triumph tiger might be an option... Nice bikes with character

Chris-91

RMS Regular
OP
C
Thanks for the pointers so far, will check them out. Would they be suitable for longer trips to france for example?

Last bike he had was a Honda VFR 800cc, but this was about 10 years ago. Hired him a few harleys over the years, but they seem like heavy cruisers.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
What bike does he have.... And have had? Triumph tiger might be an option... Nice bikes with character
I have a 1050 sport and they have a lovely engine. As nice an all round bike as I've ever owned. Or there's the 800 too.

My 78 year dad still rides a 700 deauville currently and really likes it .
Over a number of year he's progressively got small/lighter bikes.
GL1500-ST1100-PC800-NTV650v deauville and now the 700cc variant,along with a very small/light msx125. We like hondas!
I did persuade him to test ride the cb500x,which he really liked,but preferred the slimmer built-in panniers of the deauville over the bolt on options for the cbx.

aircooledtim

The Honda CrossRunner is the successor to the VFR800 so might be the right combo of new vs familiar for your dad.

I have an old Honda 650 Transalp (it shares the same v-twin engine as the Deauville already mentioned) and I like it a lot and it isn't too heavy, similar to the Crossrunner.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
My 78 year dad still rides a 700 deauville currently and really likes it .
Over a number of year he's progressively got small/lighter bikes.
GL1500-ST1100-PC800-NTV650v deauville and now the 700cc variant,along with a very small/light msx125. We like hondas!
I did persuade him to test ride the cb500x,which he really liked,but preferred the slimmer built-in panniers of the deauville over the bolt on options for the cbx.
The slim built in panniers are the deauvilles real advantage over other bikes. Pan euro similar but obviously bigger and heavier. Although some bikes panniers look big, they are usually no wider than the handlebars, so easier through traffic than they look. As long as your bars are the cats whiskers then it's OK.
Would he consider a big maxi scooter? Burgman, Tmax, etc. Pretty heavy but quite fast and very comfy.

Chris-91

RMS Regular
OP
C
Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated. I think I have narrowed it down to a Honda crossrunner or a Yamaha Tracer- but I think he will prefer the look of the Honda (even though I prefer the Yamaha!)

Might go see this at the weekend, any comments welcome:

Honda VFR800X CROSSRUNNER ALL TYPES OF CREDIT ACCEPTED 782cc

Has anyone used a transport company to bring a bike from England to NI?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.