Buying New From England

Audi_TTS

RMS Regular
Hi Guys - Bought a new car from Grimsby Audi. Car landed there Mid Dec. Got a lovely video and thought happy days be nice to get it beore Christmas - Obviously, that hant happened. Seems strange but this is the latest correspondence, Does anyone know if this is right?!?!

Please see below from my Adminstrator (from Sales guy)

As the customer has not provided us with a UK mainland postcode we cannot tax the car using RAV. We have to fill out a V342 and request a sticker / reg from the DVLA, we then have to fill out a V55 form through sales office, these are taking longer to come in the post due to it just being Christmas and COVID. Once we have got this through the post (hoping for it to come in the next couple of days as they have already associated the VRM on SLI) we need to fill the form out and send it to the DVLA with a copy of the customers insurance and a cheque for the tax. Then it is just waiting to see if the car is taxed on the DVLA website and the car can then be released.

IS THIS NORMAL????

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I've bought two cars new from England (Focus ST and Golf R) and didn't have to do any of that stuff. The Focus was a good while ago now, 2007 but the Golf R was 2017. I ordered car, paid deposit for car got call that the car was in and could be collected on a speficic date (or any date there after), flew over and picked up/paid for/did paperwork around a 10 days after it arrived into the dealer then drove home. Was was taxed and all when I arrived.

I bought the Golf from Parkway VW in Derby who were awful in all honesty as they messed up quite a bit paperwork wise re the service plan, extended warrenty (which I ended up not needing anyway as I sold the car) I had to go to VW the selves I get it sorted but getting the car registered, taxed etc wasn't an issue to even them.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Not normal, no. The dvla tax system includes NI since they consolidated it a good while back and closed the Coleraine Tax/Registration office.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Some mainland dealers have put a stop on selling to NI for now. I was enquiring end of Dec about a brand new car and the sales exec came back to say their head office was saying no NI sales and they would be reviewing that position mid January. This was Inscape Group who are a huge chain of dealerships.

But in the past I have bought new from England with no hassles at all about registering or taxing.

Audi_TTS

RMS Regular
OP
Audi_TTS
What’s the catch with new from England? Cheaper I’m guessing

Yeah Cheaper - However literally just got an email with agreement and its £2700 more - Guy phoned and was candid as you like - Yeah that was last years price lol - He's just been told to do one so I await response. Thats from a main Audi Dealer - I signed a contract in September lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That Father, would be an ecumenical matter...
That would be the only explanation for that behaviour ffs, how dim are they? If they signed a contract with a price on it, they HAVE to honour it. End of. There is nothing in place between the UK and NI that should change that. Sure ask Boris, he told everyone here with a pint in his hand that if anyone told them they needed a piece of paper to get onto him... :p

Seriously though, this shouldn't be happening, just sounds like ignorance / laziness / opportunistic fraud.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Sounds like dealer's are getting worried over Brexit/NI Protocol if it's been mentioned above one has stopped sales to NI

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My bike was the same. Got them to register it in my name at their address then just changed the address on the V5 once it arrived. Was easiest way for us to do it.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
My bike was the same. Got them to register it in my name at their address then just changed the address on the V5 once it arrived. Was easiest way for us to do it.

If I buy another car from England it will be getting registered to my mates house in the Peaks (in my name) and then I'll 'move house' soon after buying if all this nonsense is still going on.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Surely a new VW currently lands in England via one of the ports and gets transported to NI. I'm sure NI VW dealers have not stopped receiving cars.
This is all ballix.

Audi_TTS

RMS Regular
OP
Audi_TTS
Surely a new VW currently lands in England via one of the ports and gets transported to NI. I'm sure NI VW dealers have not stopped receiving cars.
This is all ballix.

Its an Audi - Same people mind you lol
That Father, would be an ecumenical matter...
That would be the only explanation for that behaviour ffs, how dim are they? If they signed a contract with a price on it, they HAVE to honour it. End of. There is nothing in place between the UK and NI that should change that. Sure ask Boris, he told everyone here with a pint in his hand that if anyone told them they needed a piece of paper to get onto him... :p

Seriously though, this shouldn't be happening, just sounds like ignorance / laziness / opportunistic fraud.

So sales exec tried to tell me i was thick and the deal they agreed in 2020 isnt doable in 2021 even though the car was there in 2020 and i wanted to collect but they kept stalling. After a call with the sales manager all is sorted. Collect next week via MVT - mayhem but sorted!!

Audi_TTS

RMS Regular
OP
Audi_TTS
they were thinking ‘daft paddy he probably pay’

Genuienly amazed at the angle of the lad. was like chattng to a wall - Yeah but that was last year. yeah but you took my deposit and we agreed a price and signed a deal. yeah but that was last year and this is a new year and last year was last years price and its more now lol eeejit

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Skoda England needed a mainland address to register it to when u bought March 18, just used my name at mates address and he fw the v5 when it came thru

Audi_TTS

RMS Regular
OP
Audi_TTS
Would the dealer here not match it?

Merc Belfast matched huge Mercedes dealers orange wheels price for her car
They were miles away to be fair - It's a Q7 and in fairness ive bought quite a few cars from belfast but they said they get an allocation of Q7s that they know they will sell so why would they sell to me and take a hit - Kinda get that even though it would have been preferred option

DougL

RMS Regular
Drives
M340i
Just to be clear. The AFRL system which GB dealers use to register cars will not accept a BT postcode. You will need to register a car to a GB address and change this to your NI address once the V5C arrives.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Is that a new thing? I have bought several cars from England both new and used and never had an issue getting them registered to an NI address

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Is that a new thing? I have bought several cars from England both new and used and never had an issue getting them registered to an NI address

Was about to say the same thing. Never had an issue with the new cars I've bought from England.

DougL

RMS Regular
Drives
M340i
It must be. I bought a Mini Electric from Sytner Sheffield in January and I had to register it to my friend's London address. Wouldn't accept my NI one. Brexit related perhaps?

davyk31

RMS Regular
A few dealers I spoke to around that time said they weren’t selling to NI due to Brexit uncertainty. Others said it was no issue so long as I was either collecting the car or getting it collected by a transport company. Others I have spoken to more recently say no problem.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So here's a new one (to me) for you.

I was enquiring about a used car from a dealer in England. Negotiated a price but it was still 3k more than what I wanted to pay. Told them I'd fly over if we could meet the price in the middle.

Sales manager phoned me and said he couldn't offer anymore off due to me taking the car to NI.

He said 'to many cars are being sold through the networks in England and ending up on forecourts in NI for 3/5k over what they where sold for'.

Despite me assuring him the car won't be sold he was having none of it. Oh well, their loss.

MarkM

RMS Regular
So here's a new one (to me) for you.

I was enquiring about a used car from a dealer in England. Negotiated a price but it was still 3k more than what I wanted to pay. Told them I'd fly over if we could meet the price in the middle.

Sales manager phoned me and said he couldn't offer anymore off due to me taking the car to NI.

He said 'to many cars are being sold through the networks in England and ending up on forecourts in NI for 3/5k over what they where sold for'.

Despite me assuring him the car won't be sold he was having none of it. Oh well, their loss.

I don’t see why that’s their concern, they get what they want and move on