Can Ford Edge Ahead of Stiff SUV Competition?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
will never happen though, the Ranger is being sent off around the world as a global product :worried:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
will never happen though, the Ranger is being sent off around the world as a global product :worried:

The Ranger will never be considered a successor to the likes of the F150 though. As said, it's a light duty truck which isn't comparable to another truck that is rated to tow 6ton, and actually fit for that role too. After speaking to a few guys with them in Iceland, they said that they have literally snapped the chassis on light trucks putting them to work, whereas the F150's and F350's are at ease doing what they need.

I don't think they were referring to just the Navara's either when they said about snapping chassis' either... :p

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Totally agree Nicky, I've a friend out in OZ who has the nicest F150 and I keep suggesting he gives me a heads up when selling :party:

I would love a Raptor, there is a picture somewhere with a Ranger and Raptor side by side and the size difference is huge !

My friends 150
IMG_5788.JPG

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
you have not seen one in real life nor driven one, a decent spec auto is £35k which is about right for it when the VAG group stuff would be 40-50k

Are you getting some sort of commission on them:p

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
A customer of mine has one of the first brought in to the country. Full spec and it's very nice but his kids are all grown up so failing to see the need! Lol. I think he just wanted something a bit different from the usual Q3/5's X3 crowd.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Was in Ford yesterday and he mentioned that they are in talks of the F-150 going global.

The edge is fantastic. I would take one over its rivals.

That would be cool, though for it to become part of the "One Ford" fleet it will have to pass safety and emissions across the globe, if ti can't do this then it won't be rolled out

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Totally agree Nicky, I've a friend out in OZ who has the nicest F150 and I keep suggesting he gives me a heads up when selling :party:

I would love a Raptor, there is a picture somewhere with a Ranger and Raptor side by side and the size difference is huge !

My friends 150
View attachment 129661
@Cooper - beside the like button, can we have a "pass me the kleenex darling" button?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Was in Ford yesterday and he mentioned that they are in talks of the F-150 going global.

The edge is fantastic. I would take one over its rivals.
That won't happen, it's why the ranger was created. The F150 is huge by comparison and honestly too big for European roads.

Wish it would though !

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
There is not a hope in hell that a Tiguan would be another £15-£20k on top of that!
Q7 would be which is the larger segment vehicle.

5-8k is what i specced as realistic diff to tiguan

Conor

RMS Regular
I had one of these as a rental over here a couple of weeks back, pretty nice, very high spec, but as with all Fords the interior wasn't that great in terms of build quality. They do feel and look a bit cheap TBH.

I have a F-150 and love it, but it's hilariously unsuitable for the UK. They aren't just a wee bit bigger, they're significantly bigger than the average UK pick up (See example below compared to a Ranger!). Plus it does 17 MPG at a push. But they are absolutely brilliant, one of the comfiest things I've ever driven, and they seem to be a lot better screwed together than the Ford cars. Plus a 360 BHP V8 powering the rear wheels in something the size of a bungalow is fun.

214502d1366375897-new-sub-f150-sized-ford-ranger-confirmed-ford-image-948583974.jpg

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I had one of these as a rental over here a couple of weeks back, pretty nice, very high spec, but as with all Fords the interior wasn't that great in terms of build quality. They do feel and look a bit cheap TBH.

I have a F-150 and love it, but it's hilariously unsuitable for the UK. They aren't just a wee bit bigger, they're significantly bigger than the average UK pick up (See example below compared to a Ranger!). Plus it does 17 MPG at a push. But they are absolutely brilliant, one of the comfiest things I've ever driven, and they seem to be a lot better screwed together than the Ford cars. Plus a 360 BHP V8 powering the rear wheels in something the size of a bungalow is fun.

214502d1366375897-new-sub-f150-sized-ford-ranger-confirmed-ford-image-948583974.jpg
That is MASSIVE !

Great comparison image there

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
I don't know why anyone would compare an Edge to a Tiguan or Kuga. Its a bit like comparing a Mondeo to a Golf.

Having seen a few Edge's in the metal they are a much larger vehicle

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I don't know why anyone would compare an Edge to a Tiguan or Kuga. Its a bit like comparing a Mondeo to a Golf.

Having seen a few Edge's in the metal they are a much larger vehicle
Really? I drive past one every day and actually assumed those are its direct competition. it's much smaller than a Q7, X5 or the likes ?

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Really? I drive past one every day and actually assumed those are its direct competition. it's much smaller than a Q7, X5 or the likes ?

I don't think so
It's more akin size-wise to a Touareg, which is about £10K more expensive
Plus, why would Ford want to be in direct competition with one of its own models? The Edge is aimed at a different buyer to a Kuga

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I don't think so
It's more akin size-wise to a Touareg, which is about £10K more expensive
Plus, why would Ford want to be in direct competition with one of its own models? The Edge is aimed at a different buyer to a Kuga
It really isnt comparable with a Touareg, It's marketed at Audi Q5 & BMW X3 buyers, an in between segment before stepping up to Touareg, X5, Q7 etc the Kuga is smaller again of course and still looks after Fords interest for smaller markets

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
It really isnt comparable with a Touareg, It's marketed at Audi Q5 & BMW X3 buyers, an in between segment before stepping up to Touareg, X5, Q7 etc the Kuga is smaller again of course and still looks after Fords interest for smaller markets

Edge overall length 4808mm
Touareg overall length 4801mm

Edge luggage capacity 602L
Touareg luggage capacity 580L

Just two quick comparisons but already I can see how some people would consider these two vehicles to be in direct competition

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.