Can I trade ‘backwards’

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Hypothetical (maybe even a tad naive) question. Not sure the title makes sense but hopefully below does.

With my current finance/value the X3 is there any way I could trade it into a dealer that had the likes of a decent £10k mile muncher & something tasty IE E92 M3 etc?

Can’t get the thoughts of something for the weekend out of my head, which is also full of YOLO 😆. But do need something reliable for commuting YOLO or not

Genuine advice appreciated

Last edited:

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Can’t see why not as its basically the same as any trade in as long as the dealer you are trading the car into is willing to buy the car from you and clear the finance it wouldn’t be a problem.

BMW won’t care as they will have got the money for the car

We traded my wife’s 116d in for a Audi 2 years older than our 116 and we didn’t take any finance out on the Audi.

Dealer didn’t care and still took the 116 as a trade in and cleared the finance with BMW.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
They are class looking and an absolute weapon, though fairly civilised when cruising. Re sale problems put me off one

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Just an idea. 1st choice would always be an Impreza STI of some sort, ideally JDM bug or blob, but I reckon finding a dealer that has one as well as something I could daily together with being able to take in the X3 is going to be a challenge

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Of course can be done. Just entirely depends on where the value of the car (trade) stands against finance owed.
Mini used to get it all the time. People looking to lower monthlies or step into a diesel etc etc

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sell your car, clear finance and start again?

Finding 1 dealer with your 2 ideal cars is never going to happen. What you will end up doing is settling (and get raped by a dealer)

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z

Finding 1 dealer with your 2 ideal cars is never going to happen. What you will end up doing is settling (and get raped by a dealer)

You could find a dealer with one car that suits (you will get hammered px no matter what really)

then get the left over balance as a bacs transfer or cheque. Then you got walking money for the fun car lol!

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Aaron at Charles hurst used direct does it, they will clear outstanding finance and pay you the difference or you pay them the difference if there is no equity in the car, as they are able to do that they can probably sort you out with a new one also

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3

Think it would be very tough to sell the X3 without being able to offer finance, it’d be £30k plus.

Having a quick nosey & there are a few out there, Cameron cars have a nice E92 & Passat, which is manual, he’s had DSG before, but as you say, dealers likely be sticking the arm in.. 🤔 (no reflection on Cameron cars lol)

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Think it would be very tough to sell the X3 without being able to offer finance, it’d be £30k plus.

Having a quick nosey & there are a few out there, Cameron cars have a nice E92 & Passat, which is manual, he’s had DSG before, but as you say, dealers likely be sticking the arm in.. 🤔 (no reflection on Cameron cars lol)
That would be a great option.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Wouldn’t have another Merc @Sonny but an Impreza STI would be the perfect weekender

Have been on with a couple of traders RE some kind of deal but the numbers just aren’t right at the moment sadly.

I’ll have to pay another 6 months finance to bridge the gap a bit, or sell private, but selling it private without being able to offer finance won’t be easy..

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
A friend of mine managed to sell a 1 year old Range Rover SVR privately for £83,000 without being able able to offer finance so it can happen!

That’s good to know. I’ve actually an ad drafted on autotrader, just to push the button..

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Why would you not have another Merc, experience a lot of issues?

Not at all. Had a 2018 C350e AMG for 18 months, great looking car but just didn’t really enjoy the driving experience.

030800C8-437F-40E2-9952-051E0E147D38.jpeg

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular

Most people looking something at that level/price range are clued in enough to arrange the funds themselves I've found. If you trade it in they'll offer you no where close to that I'd have thought.

Would you not just advertise the X3 and be patient, it's not a bad car to be with while you wait on the right buyer.

You'll be getting PX price for yours and paying retail on the new cars though.
You'll be the dealers best friend

Last edited: