Can someone do me an HPI check ?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Just paid for an RAC one but its throwing up a few issues and would like to double check (without paying a different site)
Over PM obviously.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
a full hpi check costs about £20, just do one before you seal the deal on a car or travel to see it. Some of the other car check sites are pure pish throwing up random dung

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
If you’ve done a full proper hpi and it has come back suspect, I’d be walking away.

Or question the owner about them see if there’s an explanation?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
If you’ve done a full proper hpi and it has come back suspect, I’d be walking away.

Or question the owner about them see if there’s an explanation?
They're sending me one that's clear. It seems that a previous reg has been a Cat D at some point and is flagging it up.
I tried the proper HPI one but it kept saying "unexpected error" for its reg but let me put in her cars reg fine. So tried RAC and it worked fine but flagged up issues.

Cro

RMS Regular
They're sending me one that's clear. It seems that a previous reg has been a Cat D at some point and is flagging it up.
I tried the proper HPI one but it kept saying "unexpected error" for its reg but let me put in her cars reg fine. So tried RAC and it worked fine but flagged up issues.

Says on the front of the V5 if it's Categorised doesn't it?

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Quick way to see if a car is categorised is go through a 'sell' advert on auto trader and it shows it up after the valuation page.

Says on the front of the V5 if it's Categorised doesn't it?
Nope

OZRACER

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
I would'nt trust what the seller is saying, if in doubt don't buy. Just imho

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Quick way to see if a car is categorised is go through a 'sell' advert on auto trader and it shows it up after the valuation page.

Nope
Tried that and it is showing up as cat d
Previous reg’s will flag up but probably nothing to do with the car in question
So how do I confirm which is which ? Why even flag it up if it doesn't relate to the car in question ?

KevM

RMS Regular
Tried that and it is showing up as cat d

So how do I confirm which is which ? Why even flag it up if it doesn't relate to the car in question ?

it always details what the marker was against and when.

As to why, I’m not really sure of the answer but I’d imagine it’s because you are requesting a comprehensive history check, that reg has links to the car previously and has markers linked to the reg.
Im not sure why they wouldn’t give that information

I have HPI on my phone here but t’ll just give the information you already have

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
it always details what the marker was against and when.

As to why, I’m not really sure of the answer but I’d imagine it’s because you are requesting a comprehensive history check, that reg has links to the car previously and has markers linked to the reg.
Im not sure why they wouldn’t give that information

I have HPI on my phone here but t’ll just give the information you already have
So if i send you the reg can you tell me if the car is a Cat D or not ? That's really all I need to know.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
So if i send you the reg can you tell me if the car is a Cat D or not ? That's really all I need to know.
If Auto trader says it is id believe it.
Cat D isn't the worst thing as long as it's repaired correctly and well priced.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
If Auto trader says it is id believe it.
Cat D isn't the worst thing as long as it's repaired correctly and well priced.
It's well priced actually but I'd have no clue of if it was repaired properly , and would worry why they didn't think to mention it/deny it in the first place.

OZRACER

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
If it was my money, absoulutely no chance. But maybe that's just me. I've been burned before ffs.

johnm

RMS Regular
All depends on the car man, cat d wouldnt bother me. If your planning on keeping a while as a run around and one hpi report is throwing stuff your not happy with, on to the next one.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
So the "proper" HPI Check site still won't let me check the reg, even though every other reg I can think of from cars gone by work ?
A site member has kindly did a check for me and it's coming up clear !

I'm completely baffled now. I'll ring the dealership that it's service history is with and hopefully they back up the site members findings.

RAC checker seems to be bull**** on first impressions.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I had problems with a marker on the number plate that was once associated with the car. I rang the RAC after paying for the check to clear things up, they were very helpful.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Maybe a silly question but it you buy this car?And then go to sell it? Will it come up all this confusion of cat d etc as well? Just might make it to sell hard
Yeah take my old car and the SCOOBY reg I got for it. If the new owner sells the plate and that person writes off their car, will every car that plate has been on be tarnished with the write off ?
I'm assuming you'd need to check dates etc but its a bit annoying when a red flag pops up. Sure look how many on here have said for me to walk away even though it turns out (hopefully) there's nothing wrong ! Imagine that happening if you were selling a car.