Can you tax a car on the day mot runs out ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

jonspeed04

RMS Regular
Drives
Carlos Brennan
ie my car mot runs out on 6th dec monday ? issued on 7th last year . Can i tax it on the day or would i have to tax it 2 moro .

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
MOT only has to be valid at the time you are taxing it. Although I have heard cases where the divvy at the tax office threw a fit when people have done what you are wanting to do.

For handyness sake, just tax it tomorrow.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
If it's going to have no mot the next day you shouldn't have it on the road After the 6th anyway so whether you can tax it at the last minute should be irrelevant. Unfortunately tho as Stevie says they will tax it on the last day of an mot.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Why don't you ring up and renew over the phone if you can't get to the tax office? Not sure if it's relevant but if your insurance expires mid-month they wont allow you to tax it unless they can see insurance which is valid for the next month.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I taxed mine on day of expiry, they just asked me if I knew the MOT was expiring

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
ie my car mot runs out on 6th dec monday ? issued on 7th last year . Can i tax it on the day or would i have to tax it 2 moro .

J.B. How goes it bro?

you should have no issues mate. mot is valid up until day of expiry.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
I couldn't just 3 days ago in DVLA as my MOT was up on 29th and Road Tax expired on 30st, they said I need to pass MOT before coming back. I asked them so if I fail MOT, I will be driving without Road Tax for a while and she said yeah, that's normal. Thank God I passed MOT and I was able to get the road tax afterward, but I still think they cannot reject me on the grounds that there is only 1 day MOT left.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
If it's going to have no mot the next day you shouldn't have it on the road After the 6th anyway so whether you can tax it at the last minute should be irrelevant. Unfortunately tho as Stevie says they will tax it on the last day of an mot.

why is that unfortunate? do you think he's planning on never moting the car again or something? i really fail to see your point.

if his mot goes up to the 6th of this month, and his tax ran out at the end of november, he clearly needs to tax it or he will be driving with no tax for the first week of december up until his mot expires.

by your logic, you shouldnt be able to tax your car unless your mot is valid for the length of time your taxing it for. i wouldnt have been able to tax my car when i did 3 months ago as my mot has now run out.

I asked them so if I fail MOT, I will be driving without Road Tax for a while and she said yeah, that's normal..

what? if you fail mot you shouldnt be driving with no mot. thats illegal. you shouldnt use the car until your taking it to the test centre again and if you pass the mot then swing into the postie or tax office on the way home and tax it. im sure the cops wouldnt think it was normal when they pulled you in with no tax or mot.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
I know Forde, that is the reason why I was asking them are they serious. I did pass MOT and I got the road tax that day thankfully, but if I would have failed, I wouldn't have road tax for a few days and they think it is normal. Shows the level of their knowledge tbh!

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
well yeah but if you fail you shoudlnt be on the road anyway, so it doesnt matter if you have tax or not. then you just tax it on the day you pass your re test

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.