Car finance signing the agreement.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

spoons

RMS Regular
OP
spoons
Stand over it and sell the car privately. The dealer didn’t mistreat you or scam you, you discussed the figures with him no doubt and he submitted the finance application based on those. Like I said, the signature thing may have been handled incorrectly by him but ultimately it had no bearing on your finances or your purchase. He may now have to face a legal issue because you’ve used it as an excuse to get out of your purchase for reasons which can’t be attributed to him.
Are you trying to make me feel guilty because the salesman broke the law.

KevM

RMS Regular
The signature is printed, not hand-written. If the dealer fancies digging the heals in, there is literally nothing to say you didn't e-sign them.

A different approach may have yeilded a different outcome

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
To clear up some misinformation in this thread (apologies if they have been mentioned/clarified and I missed it)

The 14 day ‘Cooling off’ period is for the finance only and not the car. You have no right to return a car because it is not suitable. The only exception to this is a ‘Distance Sale’ but it sounds like the sale was fully completed on site in this instance.

If what you are alleging about the dealer is true then this is indeed considered to be a serious offence and could land the individual in serious trouble. Yes, even if a customer says: ‘You go ahead and click it for me…’ as wrong as this sounds is not allowed and can lead to severe consequences.

That being said… Do I think it’s morally right to use this to try and leave a car back because of Buyers Remorse? Absolutely not.

Also, you say you just came for advice. Here is some friendly advice from me… and I mean this without any offence intended. I would advise you to adjust your attitude. If you talked to the dealer in the manner you replied to people here then I’m not surprised he told you to take a hike.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
So l can't use a legal loophole to return something. I admitted I made a mistake.what would you do in my situation?
Yes it is wrong for you to use the legal loop hole. You knew what you were getting into when you agreed to the finance which you had to agreed to or you wouldn't have taxed insured and driven the car home. It's not the dealers fault you bought a product that is incorrect for you. Yes they should have got to put through the electronic signature but clearly you were happy with the outcome until you had the buyers remorse.

You could also leave yourself in a postition where you "win" the dealer gets done for fraud and you now have interested parties standing with their hands out looking for the cash for the car which you legally agreed to buying.

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
Sure some fella is potentially going too loose his job, potentially his house etc and end up in front of a magistrates court for ‘fraud’ all because you didn’t like a car and wanted too find any which way too return it?

Sounds perfectly reasonable…. 🤦‍♂️

Given that I’d imagine you wouldn’t of cared less about him “signing” for it had the car of been ‘suitable’

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Plenty of people have said what they would do in the situation and that is just take it on the chin. This is ultimately your own fault. Your issue isn’t really that he signed it for you it’s that you don’t like the car or it isn’t suitable etc.

In fact him signing the docs is actually being used as an opportunity by you here.

It might cost you very little financially to chop it for another vehicle but it should be an invaluable experience.

To put the situation into a different context. Say a police officer stopped you for speeding. You were in fact speeding and he gave you a ticket. For which you would deserve.

You then go home and discover information on the ticket is incorrect and you can get out of the ticket. Yes that works to your advantage but ultimately it doesn’t mean you weren’t actually speeding. And in this instance the police officer wouldn’t lose his job and face a fraud charge for an error of process for an offence you actually committed.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
Are you trying to make me feel guilty because the salesman broke the law.
I think you do need to tread carefully with this as there could be a counter argument that you drove off with a car that you knew you didn’t sign for - theft on your part, not trying to antagonise you, just think of it was someone else remove the emotion from your thinking.

I’m assuming you’ve given bank details for repayment, which is going to make the loop hole case even weaker as you’ve supplied this for repayment.

How long have you had the car?
What is the car? Was it a bit of a mid life rash purchase?
Is the finance no longer affordable/ change in circumstances?

Someone here might actually be interested in it and save all the hassle.

Morally I couldn’t play that loophole, we all get buyers remorse from time to time.

It’s really not with the dealer to resolve, unfortunately.

spoons

RMS Regular
OP
spoons
To clear up some misinformation in this thread (apologies if they have been mentioned/clarified and I missed it)

The 14 day ‘Cooling off’ period is for the finance only and not the car. You have no right to return a car because it is not suitable. The only exception to this is a ‘Distance Sale’ but it sounds like the sale was fully completed on site in this instance.

If what you are alleging about the dealer is true then this is indeed considered to be a serious offence and could land the individual in serious trouble. Yes, even if a customer says: ‘You go ahead and click it for me…’ as wrong as this sounds is not allowed and can lead to severe consequences.

That being said… Do I think it’s morally right to use this to try and leave a car back because of Buyers Remorse? Absolutely not.

Also, you say you just came for advice. Here is some friendly advice from me… and I mean this without any offence intended. I would advise you to adjust your attitude. If you talked to the dealer in the manner you replied to people here then I’m not surprised he told you to take a hike.
If I have came across sounding like I have a bad attitude I apologize. But have you read some of the replies.I came on here genuinely asking for advice hoping that someone could help.I have admitted I made a mistake in choosing that car I did not know that the car was unsuitable for me until I needed to put a wheelchair in the boot and kids seats in the back and they wouldn't fit.I explained to the dealer the problem and he refused to take the car back I even offered to financialy compensate him but he refused.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
If I have came across sounding like I have a bad attitude I apologize. But have you read some of the replies.I came on here genuinely asking for advice hoping that someone could help.I have admitted I made a mistake in choosing that car I did not know that the car was unsuitable for me until I needed to put a wheelchair in the boot and kids seats in the back and they wouldn't fit.I explained to the dealer the problem and he refused to take the car back I even offered to financialy compensate him but he refused.
Personally if I knew I had to put those things in a car I’d had tried before I bought it.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos

That is an unfortunate situation, with the car market as it is currently you might change it for another vehicle with little to no cost. If possible take the stuff you need with you next time and try them in the vehicle and you will know.

To give context to the other side of the story from the dealers point of view.

I used to own my own car sales business. I sold a car to a young guy, that had recently graduated an moved up from the south, first decent job and wanted to treat himself.

I sold the car to the guy, delivered it etc and he rang me that night looking a refund for buyers remorse. I refused, there was no reason for me to do so.

A fault appeared in the car and he used this as a way of trying to return the car. I offered several times to repair the car under warranty. He wouldn’t engage and then sent a solicitors letter demanding a full refund and compensation. He then reported me to the police for selling a dangerous car and for fraud.

I had to attend a police interview and it dragged through the courts for almost a year. It wasted a lot of my time, caused me a lot of stress and I could have ended up with a criminal record. All because the guy bought the wrong car.

I was very fortunate that he had lied in his statements about several things and I had proof and it was ultimately dismissed.

It was one of the most stressful things I have ever endured. All because some man regretted his choice.

Ultimately I got out of the car sales game after that, it wasn’t in any way worth the hassle. I have massive respect for anyone in that game

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I also have personal experience of this I had a Fiat 500L which I thought would make a good family car. It didn’t and I’m currently £3000 in negative equity against a 8 year old VW Passat to fix that mistake.

Marc

RMS Moderator
What if the dealer disputes your version of events, what if you did actually click the sign here button and not him? How do you prove otherwise ?

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I'm sure if you explained this to the dealer they would help sort you out with another car that does fit your needs. Like it would be more money for them and another sale and they get another car back in stock that they are familiar with! Why don't you try that approach?

richiemucker

RMS Regular
Drives
E220
I also have personal experience of this I had a Fiat 500L which I thought would make a good family car. It didn’t and I’m currently £3000 in negative equity against a 8 year old VW Passat to fix that mistake.
Ouch. That's some boot to the balls there bud

spoons

RMS Regular
OP
spoons
I give up. Lots of people here telling you the same thing, we aren’t doing it for the craic, sure plough on ahead and I wish you well

What if the dealer disputes your version of events, what if you did actually click the sign here button and not him? How do you prove otherwise ? I'm finished with this thread.Thanks to everyone that took time to reply
I'm finished with this thread.I would like to thank everyone that replied. Thank you

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.