Car help 2000 Peugeot 306 GTi6

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

backrower

RMS Regular
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
Hi there bit of help needed. Bought a 306 GTi6 today, there was no battery in it when I went to buy it so the fella put a battery he had lying around in but it was dead as. Tried to use jump leads and get it started which wasn't getting enough boost. So we gave him a push and it bump started no problem.

I took it for a drive was happy enough it just needed a new battery. So went got my car trailer and a new battery for it. Fitted the new battery but it didn't start, so pushed it onto the trailer as it looked like the wire had came off the starter motor but as it was under the manifold I needed to remove it before I could fix it.

When we fitted the new battery the car tried to turn over a few times but then went dead and wouldn't even try to turn over.

Got it home re connected the wire to starter motor but now it won't turn over at all. Lights in the dash come on, radio works, windows go down, all lights work etc and the motor clicks but will not turn over at all. I've tried giving it a push but it won't fire up, same when giving it a tow!

Would there be an issue with the immobiliser that is stoping the power getting to the starter motor?

Or could it be a faulty starter motor? But surely it should of started with a tow or push even if the starter is stuck?

Cheers for any help

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
is the immob in the key? Try using the other key?
Make sure you havnt disturbed an earth wire or something else elementary while swaping over the battery.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Usually immobilizer faults will allow a start before cutting out. Have you checked all the fuses and earth leads?

These sorts of things can be so annoying :worried:

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
I'm only guessing there's an immobiliser due to the flashing red light above the radio. There's no fob as such with the key I got with it, only have 1 key so no other to use. But the one I have locks the doors and sets the alarm etc no bother. I'll maybe check wires around the battery tomorrow. Is there a way of bypassing the immobiliser? Electrics aren't my strong point

Yeah all the fuses related to the starter and immobiliser are fine, what I don't understand is why it bump started earlier but now won't even turn over

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
Had a petrol xantia that done the exact same, all lights come on like you said but wouldn't turn over,same wee light flashing for immobiliser, so looked the manual of car and previous owner must have had same problem has pages were marked and a note in between them which read " if battery low or dead car won't start due to immobiliser, to reset put new battery in connect up, lock car using key open again get in close door put key in ignition turn key to on and press the alarm button on dash,had to do this all within 10seconds". Worked for the xantia but you know what french cars are like lol

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
Tried that unfortunate to no avail. Leaving it to a car electrics place, I've had enough trying to pin point the problem lol cheers though

wes

RMS Regular
Starter solenoid? Try hitting it a tap while someone turns it over see if it helps

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
Yeah tried that too, I'm out of ideas my end and reading forums is melting my head.

Electrics is not my strong point

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Check all the fuses in the engine bay. My missus had a wee Rover once that lay down in Asda carpark with the same symptoms, turned out to be a 20A fuse under the bonnet.
Check the earth strap aswell, we towed a friends Clio round a carpark for 10 mins once and could'nt get it fired up properly, which turned out to be the earth strap.

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
Yeah tried that too, I'm out of ideas my end and reading forums is melting my head.

Electrics is not my strong point
****ing cars eh! Lol do our heads in sometimes.
Had a drive in one of them there a great going wee thing.

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
Yeah going to check all the fuses and whatnot today, did a bit last night but light in my garage is not the best so could see very little!!!

What gets me is how we were able to bump it using the old battery but nothing with the new battery connected up.

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
****ing cars eh! Lol do our heads in sometimes.
Had a drive in one of them there a great going wee thing.

I've driven my mates HDi which is sitting about 150bhp and very very sharp, but this thing when going was a toatally diffenrt animal. Hence why I bought it lol. Just need to get the fecker running now

Reactions: BLS

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
The friend changed the battery in his old 307 and corrupted the ecu/bsi? it would turn over etc but would not start.

He left it into Norman moores spark and they couldn't get to the bottom of it,

I toed it Home, bought new bsi kit of eBay (£110) new ecu/bsi/ignition ring sensor and key chip.... Bang to the starter and turn of the key and it started.

The crank sensor was playing up too, disconnect/connected that too...worked fine ever since

wes

RMS Regular
I had that car for a couple of months, had no bother other than the laquer peel. Bought it off a fella off here who sells the odd car in newtownards. The boy that bought it off me was buying it to race or hillsprints or something

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
It went like stink it's why I bought it for hills and sprints!! Just one problem at the minute lol.

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
Beast of a car, would happily own one again if the M5 spared me any change. Can't help with the electrics fault i'm afraid. I never had any issues with mine.
I presume mods are on the cards, if so, do the chassis / suspension work first. These cars handle like they are on rails it's insane.

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
Turns out it was a faulty starter motor and stale fuel in the tank. Now starts so time to fix the few other small isusses it has for the hill climb in 4 weeks.
Gasket for rocker cover and sorting out the idle 1st willl do for a starting point lol

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
Turns out it was a faulty starter motor and stale fuel in the tank. Now starts so time to fix the few other small isusses it has for the hill climb in 4 weeks.
Gasket for rocker cover and sorting out the idle 1st willl do for a starting point lol
Happy days! (y)

Till something else ****ing breaks lol :party:

I had a sticker on the oul xantia that read "snap-off" because it's french lol

backrower

RMS Regular
OP
backrower
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
Happy days! (y)

Till something else ****ing breaks lol :party:

I had a sticker on the oul xantia that read "snap-off" because it's french lol

Haha more than likely but sure what else would you do with your nights and weekends than fiddle with a car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.