Car lifts

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
In about 2 months, I'll be starting the groundwork for my new garage. I plan on fitting a flush fit 3 tonne, scissor lift (at least, that's what I think I want) As usual, there are a million different options and prices are all over the place.

Firstly, I want something of quality, but unsure of costs. My budget is max £2k and the use of it is mainly for detailing and the odd bit of servicing. Garage height will be 4m on 1 side, sloping down to 3m on the other.

I would prefer to keep my business local/NI, any help?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
We have supplied quite a few of the Launch mid rise and full height scissor lifts, which have all virtually been trouble free. £2K won’t get you a full height Launch version though, just the mid rise. But for your use it’ll be plenty.

Stock is virtually zero at the moment though, and the cost of them is going to increase significantly due to the cost of shipping them from China.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
We have supplied quite a few of the Launch mid rise and full height scissor lifts, which have all virtually been trouble free. £2K won’t get you a full height Launch version though, just the mid rise. But for your use it’ll be plenty.

Stock is virtually zero at the moment though, and the cost of them is going to increase significantly due to the cost of shipping them from China.

I agree, I don't think I'd need a full height one, if anything needs to go that high, it'd go on a mates 2 poster. How much do you think a mid-rise unit would cost? Also, are the base plate bolted into the ground? How deep should the concrete be?

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Scissors don't need a super strong base like a 2 post does as for most part they're just resting on the ground.

Happy days, is it just 'belts and braces' then to secure them from minimal sliding?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You can get mobile scissors you roll into place. But most static scissors have very wide bases, more than axle stands etc, so the chances of them tipping sideways is very slim, although the higher you go, the more risk.

So it's not so much sliding, as side loadings etc A few decent anchors, rawlbolts, thunderbolts etc would be plenty.
But worth deciding what you need it for.

The type with pairs without physical links (m other than hydraulic ) will give slightly freer access up the middle. Some have solid link bars, so if you were trying to wheel a trolley, jack, gearbox stand etc between them, it would get in the way.

So factor in whether you want the middle of the car and floor accessible, or if it is just a wheels up type you want.

ie. semi portable type...but would block all access underneath the chassis

This has some access up the middle...albeit with blockages on the floor.

Or this style will offer mostly free access ( you will still need a path for hydraulic hoses but that can be small or sunk into the ground easily )

This claims portable, I'd imagine it's a heavy move. But wont need bolted down, and if you had a large flat area, the portable aspect could be very handy

Last edited:

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Seen a few Facebook lift sellers saying prices will be up a couple of hundred cos of the container costs rising.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Haven't looked in a while but know a few mates kitted out with stuff from redmount in dundalk. 2 post lifts, scissor lifts, tyre fitter and balancer all from them.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Seen a few Facebook lift sellers saying prices will be up a couple of hundred cos of the container costs rising.

I seen that. I messaged 2 people on FB, have to ring one tomorrow and then another said £1695 +VAT.

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Haven't looked in a while but know a few mates kitted out with stuff from redmount in dundalk. 2 post lifts, scissor lifts, tyre fitter and balancer all from them.

Funny you say that, my brother and his mate bought a 2 post lift, 2x200ltr compressors and 2 massive 6ft tool chests. Do you happen to know who they were?

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Sorry @Eddies I re-read your post and seen you said Redmount is where they got it from.

Had a look at the MR30 (that's the one I think would suit me best) but it seems like it requires a compressor to lift it. I've only got a 50ltr Lidl one (at the minute), so I think a hydraulic one would best suit me.

I found Down Garage Equipment do a hydraulic Twin Busch one (as per above, £1695 +VAT) and I think that's the one I'll be going for, unless anyone can recommend something else?

kpnuts

RMS Member
Drives
205 GTi 16v
I've been looking around for mid rise scissor lifts too. Started looking at the budget one-price units at just over a grand, now pushing the budget to get the double platform type discussed here.

Stevie at Down Garage Equipment is sound, and local. SWS also recommended by a friend who bought a 2 post off them. Redmount seem good too, but the RM30 needs a compressor. Spoke to Dessie at Howden Garage Equipment (Fermanagh direction) who was peddling a Taranto mid rise at around £1700+vat that sounded good. Lots of options that don't require a compressor to release the locks.

Getting kit from England seems difficult at the moment with the extra paperwork, so NI or ROI suppliers might be easier.

Budget is tight, so may well end up with a Redmount one.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I was lucky to gather a 2nd hand mid rise scissor lift off a forum member a few weeks back... I was well happy at the quality, the guy that sells them is on FB (England) I can dig out the details if you pm me.
A1EF2D07-9687-4000-81B7-883185D65126.png

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
My brother has talked me i to buying the Redmount one. We can lift it ourselves and he can save me the VAT and the exchange rate brings it down to about £1500. The money saved will go towards a 200ltr compressor from them too. Can't wait to get everything under way.

kpnuts

RMS Member
Drives
205 GTi 16v
I found a mid rise in England for £1250 on ebay, but they are asking for buyers to collect, and I can't find anyone to ship across the water at the moment.

Redmount are so much handier, and that's a good price esp without the VAT. Folk are asking more like 1700-1800+VAT now to cover the extra container shipping costs.