Car Tax Query

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The v5 arrived today for the X5 (2 working days, unreal) so I went online to tax it and got this message;

F15FB5FD-138A-46C0-AEFD-20756EF0A7A9.png

Surely when the dealer did the change of ownership it automatically cancels the tax and refunds it to the previous owner? Has anyone ever seen tax remain like this before? Do I sit it out for a while until it is removed, or just tax it now?!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
They’re muppets... I sorned cav last weeks, 1st Nov payment taken for tax again

RevT

RMS Regular
They’re muppets... I sorned cav last weeks, 1st Nov payment taken for tax again

It takes a bit longer for them to cancel the direct debit, you’ll get it refunded inside a week I’d say. Happened me last month.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
The fact that it mentions the direct debit is due to auto renew etc would make me think they’re records are a bit slow in updating from the previous owner, probably so they get to charge both of you for November!

All the paperwork I went through when buying and selling a couple of cars recently seemed to really emphasise that tax can’t be transferred under any circumstances (as I’m sure you know), so I doubt you’ll be able to sit it out for much longer :sweat: would be nice though :laughing:

Alexmck

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
I bought a car last month, never taxed it as planned to sell it sold it a week later and i got the tax refunded in my name, they are muppets

KevM

RMS Regular
Have you just bought the car @Lyons ?

Doesn’t sound like the previous keeper/dealer have notified disposal.

Are you definitely using the ref number from the new keeper (green) slip to tax online? It usually won’t let you do it that way as we’re NI. If you use the main V5 ref number, you’ll end up taxing the car in the previous keepers name and they could take a refund of your money if they liked plus if you write the car off, you won’t be the registered keeper.

Go onto the ‘notify disposal’ section of the tax website and dispose the car to the dealer you brought it from.

Then take the V5 with your details & date of transfer completed on Section 6, your insurance cert etc to the Post Office and tax away.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The dealer did the change of ownership online when I was collecting the car, so that has gone through successfully as I have received the V5.

Because I have the V5 I was using it to tax it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Id just tax it and move on, sounds like the DVLA system isnt used to such efficiency

if it was the 28th or something Id likely chance it into another month but bit early in the month

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye, thinking the same. I’d worry about dicking about then causing a break in the tax which means I can’t put my reg on online.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Have you just bought the car @Lyons ?

Doesn’t sound like the previous keeper/dealer have notified disposal.

Are you definitely using the ref number from the new keeper (green) slip to tax online? It usually won’t let you do it that way as we’re NI. If you use the main V5 ref number, you’ll end up taxing the car in the previous keepers name and they could take a refund of your money if they liked plus if you write the car off, you won’t be the registered keeper.

Go onto the ‘notify disposal’ section of the tax website and dispose the car to the dealer you brought it from.

Then take the V5 with your details & date of transfer completed on Section 6, your insurance cert etc to the Post Office and tax away.

Wont let me tax it online using the new keepers supplement and I’m not at home for a few days. You’ve put the fear in me of using the v5!

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I didn't tax my car for a while, March this year it expired :joy:

Phoned to sort it to be greeted with £200 In fines (more than a years tax lol)

KevM

RMS Regular
Wont let me tax it online using the new keepers supplement and I’m not at home for a few days. You’ve put the fear in me of using the v5!

If your details are on the V5 you have, you won’t need to use the new keeper supplement. I assumed you just had the V5 from the previous keeper. The issue with online taxing seems to be automated checking of NI insurance. You might be able to tax the car by phone if the V5 is in your name though?

PS I didn’t realise it was you standing in the showroom. I seen the A7 out the front when you were in with HCBuyer

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ah, did not know that. Was that your desk I was standing awkwardly beside while Graeme inspected my car?!

KevM

RMS Regular
Ah, did not know that. Was that your desk I was standing awkwardly beside while Graeme inspected my car?!

Possibly! Lol

At the minute, I’m sat between the main reception and a 2017 E220d AMG Line

I think a was running about trying to get a young English couple off to the ferry in their new car

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Any car I’ve bought I had to tax it first time at the post office then works ok on line after that.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
^As above, you're still taxing it first time with V5 so should be Post Office

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
We bought a car last month from hursts used direct but due to reliability issues returned it and bought anotherv(from hursts premium). The salesman said we have to ring up and sorn the car that we returned (as we had taxed it online) but I haven't got any of its details apart from the reg as we gave the V5 back to the dealership with the car. Any ideas @KevM ? I cant even get through to a person to speak to in DVLA, its all automated answers

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just used the new V5 and did it online the other night.

KevM

RMS Regular
We bought a car last month from hursts used direct but due to reliability issues returned it and bought anotherv(from hursts premium). The salesman said we have to ring up and sorn the car that we returned (as we had taxed it online) but I haven't got any of its details apart from the reg as we gave the V5 back to the dealership with the car. Any ideas @KevM ? I cant even get through to a person to speak to in DVLA, its all automated answers

If you taxed it, did you receive a V5? If you have, use it. If it hasn’t come yet, you can wait til it does and use it. Wanna pm me the reg and I’ll look into it?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.