Car towed away, and now won't start

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Don't want to post specific details as I think it could get messy, but just of story is:

Friend parked a car last night, and when they returned car was gone. Phoned police and reported stolen. Turns out it was a no parking zone, and car was towed away to a secure compound and couldn't be released until this morning.
Rang up this morning, and car was moved around the corner and clamped, not to secure compound. Paid to release clamp, and tried to drive off, but car wouldnt start. Thought it was a fuel cut off switch, but none on it. Plugged it into computer, and showing faults for no signal from camshaft sensor and low in oil (2010 Citroen DS3 1.6 Turbo).

Was told it was lifted by the back wheels, and towedon front wheels (car was left in first gear), and looks like the car has jumped timing. To me it's too much of a coincidence that this happened, but what are chances of recovering anything from tow company? They seem really pleasant in the phone calls I've had this morning.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Solicitor, although you'd need some sort of indepent assessment of this too.

Is towing in such a manner not illegal here ?

KevM

RMS Regular
"2010 Citroen DS3 1.6 Turbo" - There's your problem....

But yeah, they eat timing chain guides . Towing it in gear really wouldnt help that to be fair. Its all gonna get messy....

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Solicitor, although you'd need some sort of indepent assessment of this too.

Is towing in such a manner not illegal here ?

Can the fault be related back to the fact it was towed though? I know these engine are quite famous for problems in that area, but just seems to be too much of a coincidence.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Lifted by the back wheels so we can assume it was towed backwards. The engine would also be spinning backwards and at how many thousand rpm it really couldn’t be good for it.

Edit to add would the oil pump even work in those circumstances.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Gonna be very messy. That said, any towing company worth their salt “should” know to tow a vehicle on its dead axle, not on it’s live/driven axle!

As others have said these cars have a weak engine and trying to prove it was towing that caused it may be difficult. Solicitor and independent assessment would be the way forward.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Simple, independent garage, get it compression tested on all 4 cyclinders. What sort of muppets tow like that, they deserve all your friend can throw at them. Chances are car will be written off

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
There's definitely a case for a hard wired dashcam in cars the more I read stuff like this. I've always held back though... sods law dictates that said cam would be used against me!

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Left with mechanic yesterday, engine damage is terminal! Tow company are saying uts noting to do with them, so it's going to be messy alright.
Solicitor is on the case, no point wasting time trying to sort it out ourselves.

wes

RMS Regular
Left with mechanic yesterday, engine damage is terminal! Tow company are saying uts noting to do with them, so it's going to be messy alright.
Solicitor is on the case, no point wasting time trying to sort it out ourselves.
Rediculous hope yous get sorted quick enough with solicitor

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Just curious, how could you tow the car on it's dead axle in this scenario too? Presumably the handbrake would be on? Sounds like the tow company have made a complete balls of this tbh.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Just curious, how could you tow the car on it's dead axle in this scenario too? Presumably the handbrake would be on? Sounds like the tow company have made a complete balls of this tbh.

They've likely wrongly assumed it was left out of gear

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Yeah, had gathered that. But if someone needed to tow a car that was left in gear with it's handbrake on, how would they do that? Is it just a case of "they can't"?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah, had gathered that. But if someone needed to tow a car that was left in gear with it's handbrake on, how would they do that? Is it just a case of "they can't"?

They’ll just trail it. Any car removals I’ve seen have been lifts onto flatbeds. They can do this for the glider bus lanes can’t they? Saw one being lifted in Stranmillis last month though and no idea why it didn’t seem to be blocking anything.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Mates clutch went years ago and he was stranded about 30miles away, a passing car stopped and the guy lived near and knew a recovery driver. He gave him a lift home and arranged for the car to be lifted for him. When he got home I went down to the recovery place with his keys for him, but the track had already left so they'd pulled the car up onto the flatbed with it in gear. I'd say it happens all the time. Anyone lifting a car without the owner present or their permission isn't going to be kind. Probably why councils etc who lift untaxed vehicles use lift them on (have seen done in Dublin).

Crappy situation, hope you get sorted ok dude!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

You'd think anyone with more than one brain cell in such a role, would always have to assume it is in gear, until they can prove otherwise. Sounds like the sort of people who'd jump in front of a bus too and blame the bus.
They just forcibly remove it, whether in gear, or out of it.

Criminal damage.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You'd think anyone with more than one brain cell in such a role, would always have to assume it is in gear, until they can prove otherwise. Sounds like the sort of people who'd jump in front of a bus too and blame the bus.

Criminal damage.

Common sense is far from common.

Reactions: wes