Carmad Jr’s Rare Vauxhall Viva Ha SL

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
so with everything else going on at home we have had very little time to get at the wee viva

but on the up side lots off parts have arrived

we have a 2nd hand starter motor away getting refurbished before we install it

timing belt water pump new pullies all arrived

brake drums on there way from a good mate

oil cooler banjo bolts that where missing from the vx200 engine that we bought

full gasket sets have arrived

so flat out over the next few weekends should see a big difference

and the cherry on top we now have a contact in the Viva owners club who is helping us with our fight with the dva to get this thing a historic V5 👍

it’s amazing the hassle these wee buggers have cost 😂

IMG_2946.jpeg

Last edited:

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
i also am struggling for time ect during the day with hospital visits ect that i lost the part number for the cosworth spark plugs that i have used in vxr astra engines for years

so i told carmad jr when he was finished school today to pull them out off our gsi turbo and get the part number off them

IMG_2947.jpeg

2 stages colder than a vxr with a 0.6 gap 😜 for those who know 😂

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
Moving on new spark plugs are in as is the new water pump timing belt and pully kit

we removed the front off it to make access easier but maintaining it would mean the same

IMG_2963.jpeg

IMG_2962.jpeg

and we also have a cooling fan in position not much clearance between the timing belt and fan

or alternator and slam panel

IMG_2965.jpeg

rad back in just to check clearances

IMG_2964.jpeg

and thank god the oil filter cleared the lower part off the road

next up is the sump

we need the engine in position so we can pull the front suspension subframe in and out to make sure it clears everything

it would be to risky to work under the car with the engine hanging off ot so we need to make a temp solution

IMG_2966.jpeg

IMG_2968.jpeg

IMG_2967.jpeg

once i had this set up i welded the wee brackets in place and lowered the subframe out off the way

then we bolted up the balance shaft removal kit and water jetted flange to the block

with a bit off help from the jack and a piece off wood we positioned the bowl off the sump and tacked it in place

IMG_2969.jpeg

dropped it all back out once we checked that it cleared the subframe steering rack oil filter boost pipes ect

now just to get it cleaned up and fully welded

IMG_2970.jpeg

😉

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Moving on new spark plugs are in as is the new water pump timing belt and pully kit

we removed the front off it to make access easier but maintaining it would mean the same

View attachment 426208

View attachment 426209

and we also have a cooling fan in position not much clearance between the timing belt and fan

or alternator and slam panel

View attachment 426210

rad back in just to check clearances

View attachment 426211

and thank god the oil filter cleared the lower part off the road

next up is the sump

we need the engine in position so we can pull the front suspension subframe in and out to make sure it clears everything

it would be to risky to work under the car with the engine hanging off ot so we need to make a temp solution

View attachment 426214

View attachment 426213

View attachment 426212

once i had this set up i welded the wee brackets in place and lowered the subframe out off the way

then we bolted up the balance shaft removal kit and water jetted flange to the block

with a bit off help from the jack and a piece off wood we positioned the bowl off the sump and tacked it in place

View attachment 426215

dropped it all back out once we checked that it cleared the subframe steering rack oil filter boost pipes ect

now just to get it cleaned up and fully welded

View attachment 426216

😉
Just caught up with this thread.

Good news on the support from the Viva club mate!!

Seems to be coming on alright!

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
well we thought it cleared the subframe 🤦🏻‍♂️

but it doesn’t it’s hitting the steering rack brackets so this required another two wee notches in the sump

IMG_2987.jpeg

it took me ages to see what it was hitting

more welding required

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
ok so the viva ha front sub frame is an odd bit off kit i can see why lots off old hot rod guys used to use them it’s your whole front suspension and steering ect and just 4 big bolts takes the whole lot out

now with the subframe on the floor to can see the two steering rack mounts and they sit up quite high

IMG_3026.jpeg

and now it’s all back in you can see what tight clearances we are working on

IMG_3025.jpeg

this is the view from the back and you can see why it took me so long to find what it was hitting

now we have sump clearances i know it’s gonna work 🤞

up next oil pick up pipe 😛

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
ok so i didn’t think it was gonna take that much modifying this is what we started with

IMG_3035.jpeg

but it has ended up at a really weird angle

ugly but it’s air tight so hopefully oil tight

IMG_3034.png

need to make a few supporting brackets to the crank shaft / cradle bolts

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
so the sump is having some internal clearance issues and i just couldn’t see what it was hitting

so as they say up the west i’ll put your windys in 😂 so we made a window to see what’s going on

IMG_3047.jpeg

now we can see clearances off the pick up pipe and i was actually spot on and with a 1.6mm sump gasket still to be fitted the pick up pipe should float just above the bottom off the sump

IMG_3048.jpeg

this also gave me an opportunity to peek in and see what way i should do the support brackets

IMG_3051.jpeg

tack them in position and then take it out and weld them up

now we have a completed rear wheel drive front bowl pick up pipe for a vx220 / vxr engine

IMG_3052.jpeg

and now a small bulged bit off metal to fill and clearance the pick up pipe welded on

IMG_3053.jpeg

next up see how many pin holes are in my welding 😂

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
todays adventure is the wheels 😂

so we are short a centre cap and with people on ebay selling them for sill money we decided to come up with a bit of a twist to them

so this is how the are originally when they are on a manta

IMG_3054.jpeg

and they have a silly springy retainer

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3057.jpeg

so we measure the centre holes on the 4 wheels and they where all different sizes ( possibly why one was missing ) so with a bit more work we discovered that if we used the wheel itself as a centre from behind we could use a 57mm holesaw which worked out perfect

IMG_3058.jpeg

IMG_3059.jpeg
IMG_3060.jpeg

taking the rough off the rim and installing the new style but black and chrome centres

IMG_3061.jpeg

and finally we have a sump that doesn’t leak

so in primer

IMG_3063.jpeg

then paint

IMG_3064.jpeg

and we had some magnets to stick inside beside the baffles ( i know this is a home made sump and metal fillings will totally destroy an engine ) we have 6/7 carefully placed inside the sump

IMG_3065.jpeg

then gasket time i hope all the welding hasn’t warped it to much 😂🤞

IMG_3067.jpeg

beer time 👍

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
so today we where only up for a few hours

our custom wheel spacers have arrived and we had to try them on

IMG_3072.jpeg

while he was doing that i decided to fight with the broken studs on the turbo manifold and down pipe A LOT off swearing went on here 😂

IMG_3073.jpeg

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
the turbo fight continues @southsky sunrise ya dodged a bullet there 😂 even this this is brand new turbo it’s been trial fitted to a few other mates projects and it’s had a few broken stud and stripped threads ect

IMG_3083.jpeg

after a bit off a fight i ended up drilling and threading in the next size off bolt up

IMG_3084.jpeg

then a rub down to make sure the flat surfaces are still flat

IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

then retap all the turbine houseing bolts

IMG_3090.jpeg

up next is a custom job for a change lol

the penny valve / actuator doesn’t work in it old position as the inlet side has been clocked almost 180 degrees so we had to make a mount to carry it and extend the arm with the right amount off preload

IMG_3091.jpeg

IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg

welded up and in again

IMG_3094.jpeg

now to get this turbo to clearance everything i had to cut the plate that was welded on and extend part off the manifold

IMG_3095.jpeg

patch welded in

IMG_3096.jpeg

and a lick off vht silver 😜

IMG_3098.jpeg

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
up next is the boot

non off this was completed by me 😳

we need to form a battery box an mount for the main air tank and the compressor with out destroying a totally original boot floor

so what he came up with was to weld a cross brace in and bolt every thing to it meaning that it is substantial but technically removable

IMG_3085.jpeg

so using a corsa B battery box

IMG_3097.jpeg

then he moved on to duel rear brake flexible pipe work due to the air backs and abs pump

6edd7762-fb75-4346-bc65-c30175276660.jpeg

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
so small update finally got a hold off my mate

i was just up to collect drums off him but i huffed and puffed and out side with what limited tools i had i could not get em off

so i ended up buying the whole diff off him incase i damaged something

IMG_3108.jpeg

now in the work van 🤫

😂

IMG_3109.jpeg

tomorrow wd40 and a blow torch

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
new diff in the shed and boy did those drums put up a fight

glad i purchased it because i did end up cutting the brake shoe retaining pins from behind

IMG_3111.jpeg

now get the wee man to wire brush them while i work on something else

IMG_3112.jpeg

😉

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
so next up is we need a custom breather to suit our air intake

i have been doing a bit off head scratching as usual as to how to do this and what i came up with is to use a plumbing fitting for a cold water storage tank 😂

so first off i measured the size off the original engine oil breather

IMG_3116.jpeg

this is how the tank connector is supposed to look
IMG_3114.jpeg

now in an ideal world i would have a lathe but i don’t so jamming the drill on and using the flap wheel in the grinder i was able to turn down the fitting

IMG_3115.jpeg

before and after

IMG_3117.jpeg

IMG_3118.jpeg

it now fits snuggley on an after market silicone breather pipe

drill the side off the air flow meter housing after the sensor bit before the turbo inlet

IMG_3119.jpeg

and we now have an oil breather / plumbing fitting that no one will ever see 😜

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
next up is the fuel tank

originally when i started building this i was going to run a 1.6 engine that only has a single fuel line

now with the 2.0 turbo it needs two fuel lines a flow and a return

so how do you turn a 60 year old fuel tank in to a fuel injected tank ?

add a return line to the filler neck turning the whole tank in to a swirl pot 😂

IMG_3120.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

and moving on most off the brake lines are in now time to look at the down pipe / fuse box / start the wiring 🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_3122.jpeg

😉

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
so we have had a few clearance issues with the coil pack plug and the original heater box / motor

so i moved the motor in the housing about 5mm up and 5mm to the right and it works but it’s leaving a gap in the heater box

IMG_3151.jpeg

IMG_3147.jpeg

cardboard template

IMG_3148.jpeg

and then welded in and flattened down

IMG_3149.jpeg

IMG_3150.jpeg

doesn’t look like much but now it’s not hitting the plug 😜

then i had to figure out a way of feeding a clutch master cylinder and mounting it

after a bit off interneting i discovered that honda use small easy mounted reservoirs as do isuzu 😂 so we nicked the one from the piazza and set about mounting it

the viva uses a skuttle panel cover over the wiper motor but it comes with a hole in it to originally route the speedo cable ect through it

IMG_3141.jpeg

if that hole in the middle was filled it would actually be quite strong and look factory ish

IMG_3142.jpeg

IMG_3143.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

IMG_3145.jpeg

should work alright 👍

JH86

RMS Regular
Love it mate 💪

Was that a corsa B battery try I seen whilst I was wafting through the progress? Where would in get one these days? Used them for years and then corsas got hard come by 🤣

Keep up the good work, and more importantly.. the memories 🙌

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
Love it mate 💪

Was that a corsa B battery try I seen whilst I was wafting through the progress? Where would in get one these days? Used them for years and then corsas got hard come by 🤣

Keep up the good work, and more importantly.. the memories 🙌

funny enough that was that last one my brother had that was not rotten

try @southsky sunrise he had a corsa b for breaking recently

carmad.

RMS Regular
OP
carmad.
Drives
good old bird
working away at this any chance we get now

and today we had to weld up the old steering shaft hole and start to get the main battery cables in

IMG_3136.jpeg

here you can see the modern collapsable steering shaft with the classic steering wheel

IMG_3139.jpeg

and here he is flat out as usual 😂

IMG_3153.jpeg

time to start the wiring to see if we are going to get oil pressure 😳