CarPlay or AppRadio with Google Maps?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anyone know if these new double din units can display Google maps for navigation from your phone? I had 1 of the first AppRadios and used a Waze navigation app on my phone, but it was very basic as the technology was pretty new.

Is there any model that will replicate the Google maps you get in your phone?

pablo

RMS Moderator
you can get a double din that runs pure android. almost tempted to try one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321636106832

bit cheapo looking but might be ok

1.jpg

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
i have a appradio 3. playing with the phone a little allowed me to mirror my phone onto the screen. but you still control everything via the screen as well. Well worth doing

pablo

RMS Moderator
I didnt like that the phone stayed awake while the appradio was in use but I made a tasker command to dim the display to min when connected to that bluetooth device.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
i have a appradio 3. playing with the phone a little allowed me to mirror my phone onto the screen. but you still control everything via the screen as well. Well worth doing

What phone? When I had it (a 2 I think) it just wasn't seamless. I see on the Pioneer website it does say Google maps is compatible, but I definitely didn't have navigation working like it does on the phone.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
I didnt like that the phone stayed awake while the appradio was in use but I made a tasker command to dim the display to min when connected to that bluetooth device.

I hated that too, But there is app you can use as well called screen standby that actually switches the screen off completely. Granted that i can't get it working right. Everyone else seems to have. lol. I can only get it to dim. But i have it kept in the arm rest bit compartment so i don't even see it.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
What phone? When I had it (a 2 I think) it just wasn't seamless. I see on the Pioneer website it does say Google maps is compatible, but I definitely didn't have navigation working like it does on the phone.

Most android phones or iphones will work. Like i said, it takes rooting the phone downloading a few apps etc. After that. Its pretty much a seamless process. Controlling your phone via the screen. with me having unlimited data as well means it really is a proper entertainment head unit. lol.
The best bit though is that any map apps will be using the gps reciever from the head unit and not the phones. Makes it a lot more accurate

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
What do you mean rooting the phone? I have an iPhone, does it need jailbroken to get the best from it? Not up for that I'm afraid!

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Yeah, rooting is androids version of jailbreaking. You will need to jailbreak it to be able to use the screen as your phone.

But if you are not wanting to do that. You can try doing it with a android stick. Which i am actually trying to get working at the mo. But its just not playing ball with me. Everyone else seems to be able to get it working. Might be just my stick. Android sticks aren't big money. Basically like using an android phone. The maps won't need a data connection as its using the head units GPS. Anything else though, you'll need to tether from your phone

Ashton

RMS Regular
Drives
Android stick sounds good, will have to look into that. I use an Appradio headunit with my iphone but don't find it too great to be honest. Shame the usb doesnt support usb pens for mp3 use, or bluetooth allow music to be played via it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeah, rooting is androids version of jailbreaking. You will need to jailbreak it to be able to use the screen as your phone.

But if you are not wanting to do that. You can try doing it with a android stick. Which i am actually trying to get working at the mo. But its just not playing ball with me. Everyone else seems to be able to get it working. Might be just my stick. Android sticks aren't big money. Basically like using an android phone. The maps won't need a data connection as its using the head units GPS. Anything else though, you'll need to tether from your phone

I just want something that's plug and play with my phone tbh. I cant believe it hasn't developed into this yet!

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Android stick sounds good, will have to look into that. I use an Appradio headunit with my iphone but don't find it too great to be honest. Shame the usb doesnt support usb pens for mp3 use, or bluetooth allow music to be played via it.

I just want something that's plug and play with my phone tbh. I cant believe it hasn't developed into this yet!

Yeah, unless you jailbreak your iphones. Its pretty limited to what you can do with the head unit. But i'm pretty positive that bluetooth supports music to be played via it without messing about with it

Have a look through here for rooting/jailbreaking
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2451980

or for android sticks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/har.../arunchained-reloaded-android-sticks-t2833303

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.