Cars most likely to pass / fail MOT

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Interesting stats on the best and worst performers at MOT for 2017.
Obviously there are other factors involved in how good a car is mechanically and how it's been looked after but nevertheless useful info to have when considering used car options.

warren

RMS Photographer
I feel that would be more useful if they compared cars of similar age. Interesting read though, I'm just not shocked a 2014 911 is more likely to pass an MOT than my 2003 MX5 lol

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Its nonsense! Its all about how a car is maintained. A Ford stored in a garage all its life and never used in the wet will pass MOT for many many years, the same car if kept outside will start to dissolve back into the ground after its 8th Birthday.
I've seen Ferrari's with worn rose joints (track rod ends) at 10k miles, I've seen Toyota's with original joints still in them at 120k

A-ron

RMS Regular
Had to laugh at the Rover 600 being included in the highest fail rate within the executive segment - when is the last time you see one of those on the road? The data is obviously a bit skewed and not the fairest representation.

Interesting nonetheless..

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I've seen Ferrari's with worn rose joints (track rod ends) at 10k miles, I've seen Toyota's with original joints still in them at 120k

Only I drive it myself, I wouldnt believe it, but I have a Peugeot Partner with 130k on it and it has never had a suspension component replaced yet!

Last edited:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Only I drive it myself, I wouldnt believe it, put I have a Peugeot Partner with 130k on it and it has never had a suspension component replaced yet!
And yet the number of those I failed with rear axle arms ready to fall off with less than 100k!

'96dc2

RMS Regular
And yet the number of those I failed with rear axle arms ready to fall off with less than 100k!

And yet the number of arms that actually fall off or brake lines that explode are... 🤔

You can tell I have a retest soon and the examiner 1st time was a **** 🤣

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The cars most likely to fail MOT are those not maintained correctly by their owners.

The cars most likely to pass are those kept to a high standard by their owners.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Ka's were failing their first MOT's on rust 😂

My grand parents one needed some welding at 4 years old

I watched one clip a postbox at about 3mph and the bumper fell clean off the front like it had been hanging on 2 nails the whole time. This was when they were fairly fresh too.

Smick

RMS Regular
OP
Smick
Drives
CLA45
Agree it's obvious that the newer cars are more likely to pass than older ones. You could guess that without data.

I'd see the data as more useful pointing out older cars to perhaps avoid. 35-40% failures for some models is crazy! That figure isn't down to poor maintenance IMO that is more of an underlying trend of how that model holds up as it ages.

So if you have the choice between a 2005 Clio and a 2005 something else that's not on the list, probably good to have that bit of insight when weighing up options.