Cars You Don't Like

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Having stripped multiple mk3s &mk4s for breaking in the past the mk4 is a fair jump in build quality.

That said I remember my dad bringing home a brand new MK3 from the civil service car pool and being amazed how well put together it was compared to the family Renault 19 of the time :joy:

In what way?

I always remember the MK4 creaking and rattling where the mk3 was still pretty much rattle free. Mk5's were horrendous though.

I bet @Stu Beck head explodes at this chat :joy:

Gambit

RMS Regular
Wouldn't i correct in thinking that they weren't the most exciting steer in the hot hatch market?

But the engine note went someways to make up for it.

They where always compared unfairly against VAG 1.8T 225bhp cars but driving them I found it always felt special on the road, and very composed driving thing.

If you stepped out of a 1.8T into R32 it felt slower due to being NA which is why it got criticised so much imo. Then you got the "sure a mapped bla bla would destroy it" brigade.

Looking back now over all the R cars the mk4 r32 is the one with the most character

Lee

RMS Regular
I'm sure as with everything, everyones experiences are different but for example my brother has a MK5 GTI with about 150k on it. It doesn't get treated like a baby as hes not really into cars, rarely needs anything and still drives very well indeed. Nice and sure footed with no creaks or rattles, I love driving it. I drive a MK4 GTTDI 130 with about 115k genuine miles and as much as its well maintained and its pros outweigh its cons, there is just no comparison between the two to drive. The MK5 drives far better and definately not screwed together any worse. If anything, better.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
I think some people just like to hold on to the idea that older cars are better for nostalgic reasons in their head. Anyone who thinks a Mk4 is better than a Mk5 is a bit mental.

Even as a mk4 owner I agree with this :laughing:

colin84

RMS Regular
MK4 Golfs are not well built, far from it. The squeaking from the interior, especially the centre console used to really piss me off. In fact I think VW sold a repair kit to stop some of the noises, which says a lot.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
MK4 Golfs are not well built, far from it. The squeaking from the interior, especially the centre console used to really piss me off. In fact I think VW sold a repair kit to stop some of the noises, which says a lot.
Lots of manufacturers do that though.

When I worked for Toyota/Lexus there were dealer kits for cars under warranty with interior squeeks and rattles. The fix kits consisted of little sticky back foam pads for panel interface, foam blocks for cavities and foam tape for errant wires and cables.

I remember back in the day living love blue and red dials in the mk4 Golfs.

Would the GT TDI have be the first "sporty" diesel hatchback?

My Passat B6 was rattle and squeek city, spent ages getting rid of all of them, then it blew it's flywheel, starter motor and turbo all in the space of 2 weeks.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Lots of manufacturers do that though.

When I worked for Toyota/Lexus there were dealer kits for cars under warranty with interior squeeks and rattles. The fix kits consisted of little sticky back foam pads for panel interface, foam blocks for cavities and foam tape for errant wires and cables.

I remember back in the day living love blue and red dials in the mk4 Golfs.

Would the GT TDI have be the first "sporty" diesel hatchback?

My Passat B6 was rattle and squeek city, spent ages getting rid of all of them, then it blew it's flywheel, starter motor and turbo all in the space of 2 weeks.

I bet they didn't sell a rattle kit for the MK3. Any MK4 I've ever been in squeaked and rattled like mad. MK5's too for that matter and i thought the MK6 was quite cheap and nasty inside.

I've a brand new Tiguan at home and below eye level the interior is the same. Sure it's got Nav screens and lots of buttons and chrome and looks good in a photo but it'll be rattling away before long, I'm sure of it. Two minutes poking and prodding is all you need.

Have an IS200 there with nearly 130k miles on it and there's not a peep. In fact the interior still looks like brand new and absolutely everything works. The XJ is also absolutely solid after 23 years, although not everything works :laughing:

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
All BMW’s. Great to drive, great interiors, great to look at, terrible reliability. The only thing I’ve ever owned that was more unreliable was a Renault Megane Coupe.

I’d love to love BMW’s but they drove me insane with the endless repairs that could only be done by specific mechanics. Such a wallet emptier, would be cheaper to run my own F1 team.

That's weird as they would be very high on my list of relatively hassle free cars through experience. Had far more niggly problems with VW and Audi to be honest.

I think some people just like to hold on to the idea that older cars are better for nostalgic reasons in their head. Anyone who thinks a Mk4 is better than a Mk5 is a bit mental.

In that case your absolutely right, but it isn't always the case. I have bought countless mk4 and mk5 Golfs that have been traded in to the local VW garage over the years - the MK5 is just a better car. A mk4 is cramped and a rattle box, trim breaks off and they handle like a bath tub. Have had several mk5's over the last year and they have had very few if any rattles. Every single mk4 has annoying rattles though. Not saying they are the best car on the road, but people in this country do love a Golf.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I bet they didn't sell a rattle kit for the MK3. Any MK4 I've ever been in squeaked and rattled like mad. MK5's too for that matter and i thought the MK6 was quite cheap and nasty inside.

I've a brand new Tiguan at home and below eye level the interior is the same. Sure it's got Nav screens and lots of buttons and chrome and looks good in a photo but it'll be rattling away before long, I'm sure of it. Two minutes poking and prodding is all you need.

Have an IS200 there with nearly 130k miles on it and there's not a peep. In fact the interior still looks like brand new and absolutely everything works. The XJ is also absolutely solid after 23 years, although not everything works :laughing:

That's because some ytp scamp at hursts has half a foam factory stuffed behind the dash of your is200 :-D

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Unpopular opinion, but...

Civic_Type_R_012.jpg

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Mine would be purely due to the hassle they gave me when I was service manager in an independent importer years ago and that was E39 530d. I absolutely loathe the things...

Back then the Turbo Filter was more or less undiscovered and naturally they were never changed because of being unknown and everyone of them got a turbo becuase of this and as they were imports, the BMW dealers were less than helpful and it was a constant fight to have them fixed under warranty, regardless of there mileage or age, all of which were within the parameters.

Oh and one with just over 12k on it decided to catch fire when a guy was on holiday which was parked beside his garage and naturally it burnt to a crisp and took half of the garage with it :mad:. It was traced to a faulty power wire near the gearbox that ignited and blew the damn thing up... oh the joys!!!

The hatred is still strong, but on the flip side, they were a damn nice car to look at and drive.