Cars you never knew existed

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Nope, it's not a Starlet GT turbo, its a 1.6, 185bhp, AWD Mazda 323 Turbo!

Right up my street, what a sleeper!

Screenshot_20180731-184737_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20180731-184801_Instagram.jpg

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Can remember one of those (well the GTR model anyway) being worked on when I visited Carboy about 15 years back. That and a Nissan March Super-turbo which was just crazy looking. Getting bits for either was difficult back then, dread to think how things are now!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Can remember one of those (well the GTR model anyway) being worked on when I visited Carboy about 15 years back. That and a Nissan March Super-turbo which was just crazy looking. Getting bits for either was difficult back then, dread to think how things are now!
Would love a March super turbo. First car was a micra if that shape. 4 gears and feck me did I get in trouble in that. Caught speeding in it and binned it on black ice

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Nope, it's not a Starlet GT turbo, its a 1.6, 185bhp, AWD Mazda 323 Turbo!

Right up my street, what a sleeper!

View attachment 202568

View attachment 202569

And that's why mk1 mx5s take to being turbocharged so well, the 1.6 from this was re engineered to be longitudinal and nasp. Leaving it with a pretty low compression ratio and over engineered features like oil sprayers.

From memory it even retains the turbo oil return inlet in the sump or engine block....not sure on that though.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
And that's why mk1 mx5s take to being turbocharged so well, the 1.6 from this was re engineered to be longitudinal and nasp. Leaving it with a pretty low compression ratio and over engineered features like oil sprayers.

From memory it even retains the turbo oil return inlet in the sump or engine block....not sure on that though.

It was the older ones that were 1600s, these ones were 1800 - still fairly similar engine to the mx5 though. Even the NA 1800 gtis are a belter car.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
It was the older ones that were 1600s, these ones were 1800 - still fairly similar engine to the mx5 though. Even the NA 1800 gtis are a belter car.
But Daniels post says it's a 1.6?
It was the pre facelift, original Balenos that had the MX5 engine, I had the same debate years ago on piston heads lol

Although I think you could be right about this being the 1.8. I know there was a 1600 and an 1800. I thought this was the 1600 shape.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I saw an Audi Q8 outside agnews this morning and it looked fantastic, albeit it was orange! The curves soften it and it looks much better than a Q7.

vtr_sean

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic 1.7derv
Havnt managed a photo yet but heard a roumer that there's a unicorn about ni. A corsa b that's not got bad boy anything, max power mods and is not fitting with a red top that of course isn't declared. Personally I think it's fiction but thought id share

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Havnt managed a photo yet but heard a roumer that there's a unicorn about ni. A corsa b that's not got bad boy anything, max power mods and is not fitting with a red top that of course isn't declared. Personally I think it's fiction but thought id share

Friend of mine works with a guy who has a red Corsa B GSI, and I can confirm it's absolutely standard, I've passed it a few times in Coleraine.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Saw one of these when I was on holiday and literally laughed. Daihatsu’s idea of making a MINI I think.

8AFF37F0-A5D2-4432-A1BB-2925D1D3065A.jpeg