Cars you never knew existed

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Who knows :innocent: It's marketing at the end of the day, lol.

I don't think RS is going any time soon, they are still running the show for racing, rallying, etc.

But they are certainly trying to raise the profile of the Alpine brand. At the moment, Alpine is basically the one car.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW

Attachments

• vwapollo.jpg
    vwapollo.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 56
  • vwavenger.jpg
    vwavenger.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 51
  • vwgol.jpg
    vwgol.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 46
  • vwgol2.jpg
    vwgol2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 52

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I remember a small number of Geminins here in the late 80s, but they were diesel, a driving instructor used one, haven't seen one like that before!!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica

Isuzu Gemini...

Could also go into the Sniff thread to be fair.
Only saw one Gemini in the flesh in Sligo back in the 90s. I think it was an import because it had a weird trim designation of ‘LJ’ instead of typical SL or GL or whatever. Funny enough I have this badge in my collection.
0CE7D5F7-64A1-4EA9-A308-FA039C7A1A36.jpeg

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
A garage near me would import cars in (had all those 90s white Corolla diesels etc) I've a funny feeling they may have imported some in as the driving instructors one I remember had a square rear plate. Had black bumpers etc so basic enough spec.
Woul;d have been similar to this red one. On googling there found this pic of an earlier one....................looks like a rebadged Kadett!

Attachments

• gem2.jpg
    gem2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 43
  • gem1.jpg
    gem1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The Opel Manta I know was apparently the new one ( B ), and there was an older one before that ( A ) - learn something new every day :innocent: 8-|

And now there is (or might be) yet another retro EV thing based on the first one ( A ). Looks smashing I think 😎

99-opel-manta-elektromod-2021-official-images-edit-hero.jpg

Gambit

RMS Regular
The Opel Manta I know was apparently the new one ( B ), and there was an older one before that ( A ) - learn something new every day :innocent: 8-|

And now there is (or might be) yet another retro EV thing based on the first one ( A ). Looks smashing I think 😎

View attachment 327462
I'll see your ev manta and raise you an audi s1 ev

3.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They're all at it. Design seems to be the only way to stand out in EV land, all pretty much the same underneath.

So either it's a crossover with loads of screens, or get on the retro train.

Not all a bad thing though, some nice retro EV around 😎 Even it they are the same crossover with loads of screens underneath :innocent:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I glad there are some interesting EVs coming out. Most of them were dumpy crossover shaped things, just horrendous to look at.

The Cupra Born looks smart (even if it is a tarted up ID.3 and the Ioniq 5 looks like something for an 80s scifi futuristic setting. It looks class.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Very true.

Don't be fooled by pictures though. They're all big cars. Even the wee Honda is massive in real life. The price of making room for enough batteries for a decent range.

The Ionic looks like a great real world EV, some clever interior packaging. The "sliding centre console" maybe a bit gimmicky but the way it creates space inside is impressive.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Australian Holden Barina convertible. A convertible Corsa!
Vauxhall actually sold them as well. Great work in my opinion, I'd have thought you couldn't give them away.
6437259115_7b75c57b6f_b.jpg

View attachment 327462

That is an actual 1970's Manta with a new style front end converted to EV.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Never heard of those before, learn something new every day!

Honda Logo. Apparently the replacement in Japan for the Honda City. Imported to the UK for one year only (2000-2001).

Apparently the same size and engine sizes as a Mk1 Civic.

So yes, a Civic through the washing machine would be about spot on 😁 😇

If you believe Wikipedia that is.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I've seen a fair few over the years but usually red and one yellow... never seen blue before! Looks cool. Would love one😂

111gsi

RMS Regular
It was a stop gap car before the new Jazz came along. Funny looking wee things, my driving instructor got a blue one after the Micra I learned in.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's funny how even the most random old cars bring out stories from members.

Wonder if new cars have the same connection for young people growing up now? Or are they just grey tools?