Cat B

mboyle290

RMS Regular
Drives
'91 Corolla GTi
As above. I've bought a transit tourneo off a fella in banbridge. Thomas is his first name. Told me it was hpi clear and all that carry on. I know I should've checked but it's not a massive amount of money. I traded in a car and 1300 cash for it. Took the book and taxed the car at the post office. Got a letter out last week stating that the car is category B and I must take it to a scrap centre. I've recently found him on Facebook and he buys and sells a lot of car and everything really. Where do I stand? Do I get my solicitor involved? I've asked for a refund and he's give me nothing but excuses. If it goes to court will I get my money back or am I wasting my time? Cheers

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Just take him to small claims, £30 fee I believe. Wish I’d taken a certain dealer to them, when they lied about the car being FSH and me ending out of pocket....

KevM

RMS Regular
Check & double check.

I sold a 100% legit Passat Estate to a guy a few years back. He taxed the car and the V5C came back to him as Category N, but it was supposedly written off 2 weeks after we got it into stock. We called Swansea who explained they'd messed up and assured the guy they'd issue a new V5. His Mrs couldn't get her head round it and tortured me for week, until he actually told her to wise up! Mistakes happen. Cat B is breaker only, so he shouldn't have a V5. Who knows....

colin84

RMS Regular
As above. I've bought a transit tourneo off a fella in banbridge. Thomas is his first name. Told me it was hpi clear and all that carry on. I know I should've checked but it's not a massive amount of money. I traded in a car and 1300 cash for it. Took the book and taxed the car at the post office. Got a letter out last week stating that the car is category B and I must take it to a scrap centre. I've recently found him on Facebook and he buys and sells a lot of car and everything really. Where do I stand? Do I get my solicitor involved? I've asked for a refund and he's give me nothing but excuses. If it goes to court will I get my money back or am I wasting my time? Cheers

For all it costs try the small claims court.

Who sent the letter about scraping it?

colin84

RMS Regular
I only ask who sent the letter as there has been threads on here in the past about cat B, and the conclusion was that there is nothing to stop a cat B being put back on the road, it was only under insurance guidelines that the vehicle should be disposed of. I bought a cat B car a few years ago, I knew it had been damaged previously but didn't realise it was cat B. It had changed hands a couple of times over the years since it was damaged, I MOT'd and taxed the car, received a new log book without issue, and my insurance company or the broker never mentioned it. The guy I sold it to was still driving it a couple of years later.

If Swansea have sent a letter this may no longer be the case. Maybe you could call and confirm with them, because as Barry says a private seller only has disclose any info if asked, with a letter stating it must be scraped you would think that would be irrelevant. Have you tried the solicitor Neil on here?

KevM

RMS Regular
Cat B is breaker only. Should never be on the road again, as far as I'm aware. C & D are fine

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
They can't go back on the road, years ago you could afaik. I had a fresh cat b last year that was repaired, car was faultless but had to be split, waste of a good car.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
My da got caught with a cat b on eBay, wasn’t a big amount of money....he just broke it for parts.