Caterham Hayabusa - Superlight No. 047

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Had to admit defeat - I managed 9 Weeks without a Project..

Last few weeks I had been browsing Westfields again for Sunday morning Blasts, infact I had bought a Chassis last week in England but then this Came up.

I noticed @gixermark 's post on here about splitting the Caterham, having never owned a Caterham but i've always Fancied one but could never Justify the Premium over a Westfield.

After few messages a deal was done on an OG Caterham Superlight - one with a quite a Reputation it seems and also a fiercely quick car in the hands of Mark.

11.jpg

Needless to say, never simple - I bought the Rolling Chassis only and have done some shopping this weekend to land all the bits to install a Hayabusa.

It's a cracking Base -

AP's Front a Rear
Nitron Dampers
FIA Approved Full cage
Proper Plate Diff
De-Dion Rear End
Stagger Magnesium Split Rims
AEM CAN Digi Dash
Loads of Carbon bits..

We are between houses at the moment so I have commandeered my mates Garage for a few months to get this up and running.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

The Colour is Mega in Reality!

09.jpg

Due to Arrive this week -

10.jpg

Gen1 Standard Hayabusa Engine & Loom
Billet Wetsump Setup
Hydaulic Slave Cylinder
Propshaft Adaptor
Meteor Busa Caterham Engine Mounts
Simpson Exhaust Manifold

MBE Standalone Management with RLM Map
SBD Engine Loom
Launch Control Module
CAN Output & Mapping Module

After the Engine install the car itself needs a bit of tidying paintwork wise, new arches, revised Dash setup etc

Almost feel like 'what have I done' after writing that - But it's a long dark winter ahead so I need something to keep my Mind and Wallet active :laughing:

Last edited:

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
As if the house project wasn't enough to keep your mind and wallet active enough! 😂

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

• Haha
Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
As if the house project wasn't enough to keep your mind and wallet active enough! 😂

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

House is shelved now for Various reasons - I take my hat off to anyone Building through a Contractor at the Moment!

Time to Restructure the fleet :laughing:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Class project Iain, it's a super wee car!

Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

• Love

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
House is shelved now for Various reasons - I take my hat off to anyone Building through a Contractor at the Moment!

Time to Restructure the fleet :laughing:

This looks class. Always wanted a rip in one of these or something like them, might rent one for my birthday next year from the Se7ens rental in Ballynure for the craic.

That's too bad re your build, thankfully just coming to the end of it ourselves. What were you being quoted per sq ft out of interest?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
This looks class. Always wanted a rip in one of these or something like them, might rent one for my birthday next year from the Se7ens rental in Ballynure for the craic.

That's too bad re your build, thankfully just coming to the end of it ourselves. What were you being quoted per sq ft out of interest?

Dropped you a PM @RWL

Class Iain, was only a matter of time you'd be at something

I'll have to catch up with you for a blast next season!

Reactions: RWL

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good to see you back futtering at something, pity about the house but I'm sure you'll get sorted in the end.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Good to see you back futtering at something, pity about the house but I'm sure you'll get sorted in the end.

The house thing is a blessing in disguise!

Delighted to get back to dreaming about wiring looms etc 😆

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Build the garage and live above it lol. I don't think I could hack doing a build myself tbh, total head wrecker.

Wiring looms are a lot more relaxing.. :eek::joy:

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
man........... i loved that wee car... tortured myself for a while what to do, but delighted Iain has bought it - he is MUCH handier than me, and will have the thing looking and going great in no time.

its such a lightweight base to start from.... unbelievable amount of carbon thrown at it.. then the magnesium wheels....... with a busa in will absolutely fly.

also.... how many 1997 cars do you buy that have two owners !!! its arguably one of the best known caterhams in the 'old school' caterham circles.....

I'll miss you #47

Baton passed @IL :heart_eyes:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
13 Years ago i had my last Megabusa

Quickly Remembering why i liked to work on bike engined stuff.

Engine Arrived Yesterday - One man lift from Pallet into the Cayenne Boot and from the Boot into the engine Bay, Unreal..

689DE4DC-B7DE-481F-9348-89426BBF15D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D9BB5EE-49E0-48E6-86E8-ABF80E13EFA0.jpeg
    1D9BB5EE-49E0-48E6-86E8-ABF80E13EFA0.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 44
  • B438F73B-4B14-4E08-97D9-0983F45A4FA3.jpeg
    B438F73B-4B14-4E08-97D9-0983F45A4FA3.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 36

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
CAC64A16-ECE6-4ED2-AD26-62C15CCAF400.jpeg

Engine fully mounted, sump hangs very low but frig it, its not for off roading and its a much cleaner install than pipes running everywhere, easier maintained and easy warmed up etc.

Had a rummage in my scrap steel bin on friday and found enough parts to make up the gear stick / linkage etc. Bushes & knob in post so thats next weeks job!

Then onto water plumbing and the Electronics..
9EF6851A-9CE1-4E1B-B0C4-FF9068277C16.jpeg

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
That will be sketchy af to drive once it's done.. .. .. I love it! .. Enjoy! (y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I Genuinely have only spent two evenings on this - 6 hours max.

Spaceframe Car & off the shelf parts FTW

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Postal Strikes seriously slowing Progress :worried:

So glad to get all the old super lightweight Race Dash pulled out at the weekend..

16.jpg

14.jpg

Got a proper look at the wiring situation & see what was ahead.. looks pretty tidy and simple to be fair.

15.jpg

Mark threw in a new Carbon Dash, so ill be mounting up new original Superlight Rocker Switch gear (albeit less than pictured) and Starter button with the AIM MXL Dash

12.jpg

5-AIM-MXL-STRADA-2.jpg

Bashing on this week with the Gear linkage and Modifying the side panel to fit up the Exhaust Manifold..

13.jpg

Fuel System & Coolant system worked out also, bends & pipework in the post for Christmas building :laughing:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Coolant Piping 75% Done
Fuel Feed and Return 80% Done

Gear Stick, Stick Mount, Linkage Rods & Bell Crank I had planned to borrow / modify Westfield Parts from Megablade / Busa.

With Westfield in Receivership the parts where hard to source, so more raiding of the Scrap bin and Parts boxes I zapped this together this Morning, another item nearly complete..

IMG_4871.jpg