Caterham Hayabusa - Superlight No. 047

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Class, I’ve never driven a caterham style car but have it on my agenda for this year to rent one from a guy locally for the day and try it out.
Always reckoned if I got myself one I’d want to do the bike engine thing in it!

Think my next fleet reconfiguration will see the Mrs get a big estate car and my toy get a lot smaller and less practical. Still have an itch for another type R for trackdays to scratch first too…

Certainly have a go, you will really enjoy it if its your first time to drive something lightweight!

The likes of a 7 would be much cheaper to track than a Type R and way more fun! One set of Pads & Tyres would do you a season!

Really easy to maintain also - i have rebuilt this car with basically a Socket Set, a set of imperial Spanners, cordless drill & a 4.5 Inch Grinder!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Started into the Loom with a set of side cutters and a Positive feed to find out whats what...

Indicators
Sides / Dips / Mains
Tail lights
Brake lights
& Dash Powered up..

View attachment 394833

What a Mess, but can all be adjusted in length to suit the new switch gear layout etc and then tidied up.

you've done brill with the wee car man !!! love that picture.... i always loved that dash, and having the fuel level on it is superb too... if it ever comes up with a message indicating mem full... just hook it up to your laptop to clear the memory on the unit.. and good to go again - when it fills, it stops displaying all the info.

cant wait to see/hear it.

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
you've done brill with the wee car man !!! love that picture.... i always loved that dash, and having the fuel level on it is superb too... if it ever comes up with a message indicating mem full... just hook it up to your laptop to clear the memory on the unit.. and good to go again - when it fills, it stops displaying all the info.

cant wait to see/hear it.

Thanks Mark, its getting there, almost done with the Wiring now.. Its not too pretty but well tucked and working :laughing:

Thats good to know about the Dash, I found the connection cable last night so I will get plugged into that soon when i dig out my old laptop with all the Race software on it!!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
AIM is the way to go, this was in the car already... It connects to the ECU via CAN (2 wires) and displays all the Data the ECU reads. Great job!

Scudded myself a bit with this comment..

Great Unit, but I wrecked my head enough with wiring to need a 3 week Break!

Last night however I managed to get Everything but Oil Temp displaying, Will trace these back again tonight and double Check.
Warning Lights configured, Shift lights configured and Confirmation at 14V that the charging circuit is Working..

It may go onto the floor tonight and get it's Maiden Voyage Busa Powered!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
nice one mate......... you are making more progress than me !! i'm close to either getting matches out... or just putting a sheet over mine - really not sure why we put ourselves through the torture !!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
really not sure why we put ourselves through the torture !!

The Duratec wagon? what are the struggles? where you hoping to make Kirkistown on Saturday?

If I had your Reliable big Red lady i'd be a Content man :heart_eyes:

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
yea... its all probably 'minor' issues... but the engine was mapped over in England with the builder, i had to buy a new ECU as the old one was locked (normal with the caterham C400) all running perfect on his dyno, but the pin outs on my loom to ECU are obv different to what he had used. I've now got TPS wired correctly (trial an error originally !!) but got there.

took 3 weeks for SBD to bother sending me the canbus cable to talk to ECU.. so have that now, got engine running... (last night) but wont take throttle, unsure if that's crank sensor possibly wired incorrectly.. or something as simple as battery (i changed to lithium from the car was last ran in Dec) so will try to rule both those out later.

like i say - probably minor things in grand scheme of things, but rather more involved than i want to be !! i freakin hate working on cars ffs

yes........ i shouldn't complain, the big red lady is just sublime & causes me no drama's - just puts a massive smile on my face........ don't forget - i'll sell the small red lady anytime... she is also a reliable wee mini beast !!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Ah the joys, is this Your responsibility or at MJ Headquarters?

Funny, i ordered a batch of bits from SBD, I Cancelled them after two weeks because when I called to chase it up no one knew anything about the Order? Awful Service!

I assume you are on MBE too then? I could have lent you my CANBUS MBE Cable to speed things up..

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
unfortunately at MC HQ hence the head scratching !! MJ got the engine in and wired up etc.. i finished plumbing and bits, he is 100% flat out with Andy's stuff.

yea - SBD seem terrible to deal with... i called them dozens (literally) of times to order the lead.... phone just engaged from morning to evening, i went to buy it online - and you can only register a 'query' online........ and nobody follows up with it.

in the end after 3 weeks.... the only way i got anywhere was talking to MBE themselves !! the chap Steve i spoke to was super helpful, and even tried to get me sorted direct (albeit didnt even know how to set up a normal customer up) but he obv got onto SBD and within hours they sent an invoice to my 'enquiry' from 3 weeks prior.... no explanation, just an invoice.

I paid the invoice right away.. and then few hours later they said the delivery they charged me (15 quid plus vat) wasn't enough to cover NI !! and theny needed another 8 quid. i told them to cancel the order as i was beyond fit to be tied at that stage !!

MBE were actually prepared to ship me a cable and sort the invoice out after..... but SBD came back and said when they went to ship it.. the original postage amount covered the cost !! quel surprise sending a f@cking cable.

defo wouldn't inspire me to buy anything from SBD in future... esp when its impossible to even talk to them

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Awful, very similar experience Mark, if you need any SBD bits in the Future, i order them now from Damien at Daytuner, he is an SBD/ MBE Agent!

Hard to get on the phone and no shop online, but he does at least reply to emails & post next day! (y) (y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I Put in a Few hours into this over the last few weeks, got it back onto its feet and gave it a wash...

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

As Ever, something else has caught my eye that will be more useable so i'm going to let her go..

If anyone is interested drop me a PM

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Well, no one has taken my Arm off for this, so i guess i should get it finished!

So pleased it came with 2 bonnets.. this is a job i had been putting off!!

Attempt 1

Bonnet1.jpg

Bonnet3.jpg

Bollocks - Stuck the template on Back to Front 8o| :sob:

Attempt 2

Bonnet4.jpg

Bonnet5.jpg

Bonnet6.jpg

Much Better.. (y)(y)(y)

& Final Mark of Approval from these melters who are currently finding it great for climbing through whilst eating the Ice Pops!

Bonnet7.jpg

Had it out for a Rip on Saturday Morning.. :heart_eyes: much love!

forgot how responsive these where, i think i'll definitely take a Summers fun from it at least!

Softer Springs going in this week to Accommodate the lighter engine & then ill look at getting an Oil Cooler installed before going final mapping / Health Check!

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Great weather for a bit of hooning about, hopefully it stays about for a while to get out a run

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Great weather for a bit of hooning about, hopefully it stays about for a while to get out a run

Will give you a shout when I get some niggles Ironed out :grinning:

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
They are so cool. I really would love one of these sometime. Although I'm likely going to stick with more bikes now instead of more cars.