CCTV

bikeit

RMS Regular
I have CCTV at my home which runs alongside a public footpath, but yesterday there was an incident just outside my home, the police call with me last night for me to release the CCTV footage but i refused as the incident involved a local gang and i don't want to get involved, so am i legally obliged to release any CCTV footage?

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
If they’ve asked you to volunteer it, and you’ve said no, then they might come back with less of a volunteering approach. Depends if they really need it or if they can make do with other information. A lot could depend on what happened.

If you’re genuinely concerned with safety, and come back, I’d say to them (if they call back). Ask for some sort of assurance that they’ll minimise any risk to you. They might be able to protect the origin/source of the material - including the fact that it’s even cctv footage.

When your cctv looks out beyond your property then it opens additional doors for how you’re meant to operate it and safeguard information. You essentially become the ‘data controller’. Would be worth having a Google and making sure you’re compliant.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
Or tell them that the cameras are set to only record once your boundary has been crossed.

You don’t record the street in general only when the threshold is crossed does it start recording.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Depends what’s already been said/discussed re footage existing. If they turn up to seize equipment, and it’s been deleted, you could end up with more hassle than it’s worth.

Reactions: PDK

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Quick google says they can get a warrant for it if they believe it has information relating to an investigation. I’d delete it and explain you did it to safeguard your family.

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Quick google says they can get a warrant for it if they believe it has information relating to an investigation. I’d delete it and explain you did it to safeguard your family.

And if you delete it and they get a warrant to seize the recorder and find out it’s been deleted you can be done for destruction of evidence, impeding a police investigation and probably a load of other charges they make up.

Best approach would be to discuss with them your reasons for denying it and state your concerns in getting involved due to your families safety.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
If you have SWANN system - you can blank off areas that you don't want to record such as public roads etc.

Set it up - then show them if they ask. Though they may well ask after for the date the offence was shown - at that point, I'm sure you can decline, though as others have said, you could be opening a can of worms for yourself.

If you can - seek legal advice, see what they say.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Just be up front with the Police about your concerns. Ultimately they can get a warrant and seize it if they want it that badly.

Is the footage clear enough to identify anyone or would it be of not use anyway?

To save any hassle in the future, just make sure your CCTV only covers your property and not public areas.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
And if you delete it and they get a warrant to seize the recorder and find out it’s been deleted you can be done for destruction of evidence, impeding a police investigation and probably a load of other charges they make up.

Best approach would be to discuss with them your reasons for denying it and state your concerns in getting involved due to your families safety.

Sometimes it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Must have been the child officer.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
When they come back tell them what Kermit thinks 😉
1A515684-1AB4-44D6-AB75-722B6A787BB7.jpeg

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
If police believe your camera has picked up evidence of a crime then yes they have the power to seize it - no warrant required …any officer can seize your equipment if you don’t assist in giving a copy …
Obviously it would depend how serious the crime is before your local police will go to that length…
CID dealing with a serious offence would be demanding it

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

It's a small memory card, it gets overwritten every few days anyway. Or similar.

Although didn't really think "gangs" were a big thing here ?