Ceebl's Mk7R Estate

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Isn't man math a wonderful thing...

Recently a very small, noisy, major life change prompted a need for more boot space and coffee.
Mrs Ceebl and I talked about selling my mk4 tdi daily and putting a few £k into something decent and diesel and of the estate variety.
After a week of tyre kicking and not being fussed on anything my budget had expanded to be looking at A6 avant/Jaguar XF Sportbrake etc.
With my budget now somehow magically up to around £10-12k I thought I was in the ballpark. Most of the Audis I was digitally tyre kicking were 2.0tdi with big mileage and not a lot of spec, I couldn't settle myself.
Decided we could wait until next year, somehow stretch the theoretical £12k budget I didn't actually have up to around £15k and get a newer Golf GTD estate with great spec and lower miles. Something that would have more room inside but retain the golf handling that I wouldn't be bored to death if I wanted to take it out on a weekend trip with the family etc.
At this stage I decided to get £15k up I would be replacing the TDI daily and my well abused mk5 GTI weekend toy.

Then it all went to hell...

Was up in hurst picking up a service kit for the bike and found out they had a very low mile, immaculate Lapiz 7R estate DSG with the vienna heated leather, black on black on black with carbon interior, in used direct.
It was way above any of my theoretical budgets I had imagined with man maths up to this point... But my god was it cool.
Anyone that knows me at all, will know I love a fast estate.

Took Mrs Ceebl for a nosey and she wanted to bring it home there and then.
Spent the weekend begging, borrowing, stealing, stressing about spending more than a few thousand on a car...
Went up on monday and had a good test drive, came back and stuck a deposit down.

Fast forward a few weeks of ownership and I haven't looked back. Its epic.
Very fast and capable up the coast road, very smooth and effortless for commuting and so far seems to do all the family and dog stuff we need it to.

So far I have fitted some privacy shades on the rear windows for the wee man's sake and a fitted boot liner.
Next step is off to PMG later this month for full paint correction and a ceramic coating.
Trying to hold off until the 6 month warranty is up before I start doing anything else to it. I think the biggest thing stopping me playing with it yet is my incredibly empty bank account.

I've been away from RMS for a while but I will make an effort of being about here a bit more and keep this thread up to date for anyone who's interested!

TLDR;
Wants cheap estate car, accidentally buys golf R at 3+ times original budget, no regrets.

Photo credit @warren
DSC_3865.jpg
DSC_3867.jpg
DSC_3872.jpg
IMG_20200804_201611.jpg

Last edited:

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Love it! Will own one eventually when they’re sub 10k...my man maths isn’t as good as yours😂

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I think I seen you on the Highways Roundabout on Sunday morning(maybe?) and admired how planted it looked. Very cool wagon!:cool:

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Very nice ...ticks all the boxes!
What’s the mpg like ? ~28?

Not sure on the black wheels- I think it looks a lot better with standard silver...other than that...lovely!! 😍

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
That's a great example of budget creep!
Its just funny how every couple of grand you consider spending puts more and more desirable models just out of reach, nice work on this purchase tho, perfect family wagon

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I loved our Golf R estate. It really was the perfect all rounder for family duties whilst allowing you to have fun

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That is fantastic. Our 5 door was great but the estate really is the perfect all rounder with that bit more space.

Hurst have a Grey 7.5R estate I was eyeing up this week!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Love it! Will own one eventually when they’re sub 10k...my man maths isn’t as good as yours😂
That was my original plan lol not too sure how I justified it to myself but I'm not complaining!
I think I seen you on the Highways Roundabout on Sunday morning(maybe?) and admired how planted it looked. Very cool wagon!:cool:
Yep from Larne, think that was us heading out for Breakfast
Very nice ...ticks all the boxes!
What’s the mpg like ? ~28?

Not sure on the black wheels- I think it looks a lot better with standard silver...other than that...lovely!! 😍
Mid 20s when you're pushing it hard, 30 on a good run up the coast and mid 30s when you're nice to it. Certainly slightly easier on the juice than the older TFSI engines we have.
Oh my that is beautiful.

The only man maths you ever really have to do is convince the other half.... 😂😂
She's as bad as me for cars and bikes so she's never too hard to convince lol

NIXR2

RMS Regular
Nice car!! Your situation sounds very similar to my own!! I intended to buy a diesel VRS Octavia or a nice GTD estate and ended up blowing the budget and buying a fully loaded Golf R hatchback!!🤣

Ceebl

RMS Regular
OP
Ceebl
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Spent a therapeutic afternoon cleaning with some new Gtechniq stuff I treated myself to this week. I have to say a nice new drying towel is a game changer after years of using manky old cheap towels that are probably so full of cleaning products they physically repel the water and just push it around the panel.
Nice having a car I enjoy cleaning again, will be even better when it goes to PMG in 2 weeks and gets it's ceramic coating done.
IMG_20200913_175845_095.jpg

IMG_20200913_163444.jpg