Changing Brakes - Advice

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Not something I would want to tackle myself as I’ve never even changed a brake pad but keen to learn.

I’ve bought new front brakes for my S3 and the callipers are black. My stock brakes are red so I think it was @Gambit that suggested changing the rears to black as well as opposed to getting the new ones sprayed.

So question is, with regards to bleeding, should I wait to change all 4 callipers at once (upgrade rear lines too) or just go ahead and put new brakes on now and sort rears later?

IMG_6442.jpeg

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I personally would do it in one hit. When I changed the front and back brakes on the fabia for larger discs/calipers, I did them separately (had bought 4motion rear calipers and they didnt fit, only realised midway through the process of changing). The bleeding of the brakes was the most time consuming for me, so why do it twice in my opinion. I’d suggest it is easier to do it in one go. Plus, if your only upgrading, it’s not an essential job needing done imminently.

New brakes look superb btw!! Great job.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
I’m swaying more towards one hit as well. Again, I’m not familiar with changing brakes and bleeding them but read that you have to bleed the rears as well if only doing the fronts? Mightn’t be true.

Will be changing fluid as well so they’ll need done anyway.

I’m totally against painting brakes as I’ve done them before and hated the job and they looked she/it

With regards to time frame, it’s not essential to do now as I’ve plenty brakes left but off next week and I’m away on hols mid January so those would be ideal times.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
If it was me, I'd fire the fronts on now and sort the rears later. Couldn't have them sitting on the side looking at me 🤣.

Re bleeding, technically you should always start from the furthest from the master cylinder and work your way back when bleeding, so you have to bleed the rear anyway.

Having said that, I've changed front calipers to Big Brake Kits in the past and never needed to bleed the rears.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I think if your so unsure I would let someone else do it for me as I sounds much easier option .im having a nightmare with brakes on a bmw atm and cannot get them bled properly on the hydro . .🤬😂

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Had typed id do them separately to give u less to ho wrong, but if ur doing lines and all id just do them all at once cause id want to bleed all corners if changing the lines.

As always a bit of penetrating fluid on unions and bleed nipples beforehand will help avoid any rounding, but all going well its a pretty easy job tbh.

Wind back tools can be a big help on pads at times.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Again, I am no mechanic, but as @gpaevo said, generally start furthest from the master cylinder and work forward to the nearest. If your only changing fronts, it would be a quick bleed on the rears and then move forward, but do what works for you. If replacing lines etc on the back anyway, I’d just do it one go

_Mackers_

RMS Regular
On the subject of bleed nipples being seized. Mechanic I done my apprenticeship with years ago swore by putting a couple of turns of plumbers tape around the threads.

I've done it with all my cars ever since. Never had one seize and gives a really good seal when you've them loosened off abit during bleeding.

Don't know if it's a done thing with anyone else?

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
I think if your so unsure I would let someone else do it for me as I sounds much easier option .im having a nightmare with brakes on a bmw atm and cannot get them bled properly on the hydro . .🤬😂

Oh it’s not a driveway job or something I’d be tackling on my own. Will probably end up being left at a mechanics at this rate tbh.

Had typed id do them separately to give u less to ho wrong, but if ur doing lines and all id just do them all at once cause id want to bleed all corners if changing the lines.

As always a bit of penetrating fluid on unions and bleed nipples beforehand will help avoid any rounding, but all going well its a pretty easy job tbh.

Wind back tools can be a big help on pads at times.

All these words like “penetrating” and “nipples” 😂

Get the proper spanners for brake unions. Do not attempt it with a normal spanner. A pressure bleeder is handy to have too.

I’d do it all at the same time personally.

Don’t have those specific tools but as said, not for my driveway or on my own anyway. Something I’d like to learn though.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good idea is to pop the bleed nipple caps off now and drip some wd40 or the likes into them and put the caps back on so it's that time to soak in beforehand.
Depending on the age of the car, seized unions are the big risk if you are changing the hoses with the calipers so slather plenty of penetrating oil around those too.
Brake union spanners are essential as said above and some sort of bleeding kit.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i

I’ve one of those sealey pressure bleeders if you want to give that a try.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
**** it, I’d leave it to a mechanic 😂. In my experience the simplest of jobs turn out to be a melt especially with limited tools and no lift….brakes are kinda important

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
SubaruLegacy
Bring it to the tech night when you're ready, we can change them there if you want. I have the correct spanners, pressure bleeder etc.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Balls to that. In the driveway

Use your time more wisely and give a bloke the job that has the tools and knowledge.

It’s just not worth the drama

Gambit

RMS Regular
The rear calipers with auto/electric handbrake are a pain, you need to have them off the hub and rotate them about few times to get them to properly bleed all air out.

Even when OMA done all my brakes front and rear on impreza they managed to strip a bleed nipple and it had to go to England to be repaired. Granted your front calipers are pretty new so less likely to strip

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Really can't stress enough how much I recommend this little kit

I had real trouble getting a new master cylinder to bleed properly and this sorted it no problem.

It makes bleeding brakes a breeze!

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Really can't stress enough how much I recommend this little kit

I had real trouble getting a new master cylinder to bleed properly and this sorted it no problem.

It makes bleeding brakes a breeze!

I had that wee boy and it was hit and miss and then bought the Sealey one and it’s been brilliant.

Amazon product ASIN B000ROARTI
@Boydie if your doing track days etc would it not be handy to have experience doing this sort of thing incase you have a pad crumble/delaminate on the day? Having a few consumables with you ready to fit might turn a bad day into just a bit of a nuisance.