Cheap 7 Seat 4x4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Alright mr pedantic. Low to mid 30s on the wife’s Rx400h. 0-60 of 7.5 seconds as well.

Shove you 0-60 up your kilt. No one buys a cheap 4x4 to compete in an immature traffic light Grand Prix... :joy:

Have you a tow bar on yours? Can they even tow? I know a lot of EV’s can’t due to no engine braking and weights.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Shove you 0-60 up your kilt. No one buys a cheap 4x4 to compete in an immature traffic light Grand Prix... :joy:

Have you a tow bar on yours? Can they even tow? I know a lot of EV’s can’t due to no engine braking and weights.
It tows my fat ass about rightly. I’m not a traveller so don’t need to tow. :p

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I bought (Strictly speaking I was given it instead of 150 quid someone owed me) a 1996 trooper/bighorn 3.1 that was a 'non-runner' - the fuel tank was in bad shape and a metal pipe into it had corroded - the previous owner ran it to cork and back regularly with horse boxes and even ran it on paraffin and engine oil for most of that time. New tank, fresh fuel hoses and it started and runs perfect since - I've just spent a load over the course of ownership lifting it and upgrading the brakes, differentials (LSD rear and locker front), and fully polybushed it. It gets parked on a bit of rough ground and left for 9 months at a time and everything works perfectly on it. I bodged on the turbo from a 3.0, fitted a manual injector pump (it was semi electronic) and screwed the pump a quarter turn, does brilliant for towing and going through ditches and whatever else I choose to drive over. Only problem is I have to carry a step in the car if the wife or kids want to get in or out independently. unspecified (2).jpg

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip

2 tonne is all it can tow.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
X-Trail home tonight and whistling along like a champ lol

Any recommendations for a good tyre to replace the ageing ditch finders it came with?

Baring in mind its purpose is mostly going to be winter beater to take on ice and snow...

I love the look of these but costly and probably not what I really need 8-(

M2RhNDYzZjZlOWI3N2VjMmNmNDlmZmUxNjUyZTVlNTfBiKC7JmxpX_JhW4d0omscaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vODNkYzk3ODhmOWQ1NWM5NTk0MzI5NTM0NGM0YzE4MThkZWQzMzE3NDgxNTE2NGY3YjcyNTA4ZWEyZTU1MmFjMC5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Dave..

RMS Regular
X-Trail home tonight and whistling along like a champ lol

Any recommendations for a good tyre to replace the ageing ditch finders it came with?

Baring in mind its purpose is mostly going to be winter beater to take on ice and snow...

I love the look of these but costly and probably not what I really need 8-(

M2RhNDYzZjZlOWI3N2VjMmNmNDlmZmUxNjUyZTVlNTfBiKC7JmxpX_JhW4d0omscaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vODNkYzk3ODhmOWQ1NWM5NTk0MzI5NTM0NGM0YzE4MThkZWQzMzE3NDgxNTE2NGY3YjcyNTA4ZWEyZTU1MmFjMC5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg
Looks great, enjoy it

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Just to clarify that isnt my wagon - just a pic I found and thought it looks good on the BFGs lol

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Yokohama geolander are reasonable for road use (noise not too bad)

4x4tyres is a decent site with reasonable delivery and a massive range of tyres.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Yokohama geolander are reasonable for road use (noise not too bad)

4x4tyres is a decent site with reasonable delivery and a massive range of tyres.

Any experience of them on fresh and/or compacted snow or ice?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Had them on the wife's xc90 in the Scottish Highlands and they worked well, and that's about as good a test as you'll get !

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I’m very impressed by the General Grabber AT3’s I put on the work pickup last year. Tackled the bad snow with ease including towing lorries that were stuck and got us right round the M50 and further in Dublin when the south closed down for a couple of days to rescue stranded vehicles. Couldn’t fault them at all, and a brave bit cheaper than BF Goodrich A/T’s.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Yep. Hard to beat the Jimny in fairness. Takes ridiculous amounts of abuse and it's only ever broken a transfer box mount in 5 years. All the other 4x4's have taken some serious TLC.

Useless for what you need though (although apparently someone did tow a MX5 on a full size transporter trailer with one once)
Bit of a bump up, but thinking of a cheap 4x4 myself for the 2 days that it will probably be required. Jimmy is high up the list, but what is the chances of mummy and 2 baby seats fitting into one?!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Bit of a bump up, but thinking of a cheap 4x4 myself for the 2 days that it will probably be required. Jimmy is high up the list, but what is the chances of mummy and 2 baby seats fitting into one?!

There's some info on Google. They're not huge inside obviously, but if forward facing the seats might fit ok.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

They’d fit quite well. I’d my wee man in his car seat and the wife in the back of the Vitara quite a bit last year with no issues, and the Vitara’s aren’t much more spacious inside than the Jimny.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
December bump - how is everyone getting on with their cheap 4x4s?

Mine is looking at a £500 bill to get through MOT lol

And that doesnt even include stopping it from sounding like one of the seven dwarfs on their way to work...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

And that doesnt even include stopping it from sounding like one of the seven dwarfs on their way to work...

What's it need? Cheap 4*4's are not much of a bargain when they need that much work. Been there done that!

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
What's it need? Cheap 4*4's are not much of a bargain when they need that much work. Been there done that!

Wishbones, control arms and something else ^o)

That does include the MOT prep and a minor service too though...

Dave..

RMS Regular

Mine wasn`t cheap but I added 4 x New tyres that weren`t cheap,......
small tyre.jpg

Mark_C

RMS Regular

After 4 years, the virtually free trooper is still running sweet with just basic oil changes and the odd wash and it gets dogs abuse

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.