Cheap estate cars

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

warren

RMS Photographer
So after thinking about it for many months I stuck my Leon up for sale and am now looking to get myself a cheap estate car, the doggo isn't so small anymore (the other half wants another too) and we like to go camping etc in the summer so it seems like a good move.

I'm ideally looking to only spend about £2500-3000.... but can stretch a bit if its something nice.

Have a few options that are intriguing me at the minute, just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on them.

V50 - D5 - 130k miles - Probably the obvious choice but absolute top of budget, I know the S40/V50 platform got a slightly different and less substantial T5 than the rest of its cars, but was this the case with the D5 too. Am I right thinking 130k is likely perfectly fine.

Volvo V50 D5 Sport - bmw 3 touring audi a4 avant mercedes jeep mercedes saab ford mondeo insignia | in Belfast City Centre, Belfast | Gumtree

V50 - 1.8 - 100k - Would this be utterly miserable with a 1.8 petrol? Think its a Ford unit from looking into it, no real complaints about reliability. Cheap, tidy and well spec'd.

2008 Volvo V50 SE 1.8 Petrol - Winter pack | in Four Winds, Belfast | Gumtree

320i - 77k - Looks clean and tidy, some light damage on front repaired (would look at in great detail when visiting obviously) Numbers on this engine seem too good to be true, £155 tax and 45mpg from a 2.0 petrol, real world numbers likely aren't like this. Know nothing about this engine, are they reliable, does this model of 3 series rust to bits like the e46?

BMW 320 i 77K FSH Long MOT | in Lisburn, County Antrim | Gumtree

Theres a few Saabs about too which I would consider, just scared about getting bits for them if they go wrong (might not actually be the case)

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Warren.

Jonny

RMS Regular
AF9BBFBA-D6DA-489D-8366-2121FEA3E72F.jpeg

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
@Lyons Looks very clean, do quite like them but they are holding their value well sadly! £4k might be a bit much sadly!

@Jonny Those are Volvo Medusa alloys, had them on my S40 back in the day, definitely would be my choice too but I'd still buy one without them.... for now :grinning:

Jonny

RMS Regular
@Lyons Looks very clean, do quite like them but they are holding their value well sadly! £4k might be a bit much sadly!

@Jonny Those are Volvo Medusa alloys, had them on my S40 back in the day, definitely would be my choice too but I'd still buy one without them.... for now :grinning:

They make the car mate. IMO

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Saab parts are easily obtained and fairly cheap so don’t worry about that. 2.0t and 2.3t are timing chains so pretty bombproof. Don’t bother with the bmw. I speak from experience, did not bond with that 335i at all. Wasn’t a pleasure to use every day driving 50miles.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I’ll sell you a great Saab 9-3 2.0T Aero wagon. My mechanic is driving it currently so well maintained.

I’d also suggest Alfa 159 wagon - my current steed. Really nice driving and handling things compared to VAGs and cheap as chips to buy. I’m 10k miles in and no faults to report!

Jonny

RMS Regular
I’ll sell you a great Saab 9-3 2.0T Aero wagon. My mechanic is driving it currently so well maintained.

I’d also suggest Alfa 159 wagon - my current steed. Really nice driving and handling things compared to VAGs and cheap as chips to buy. I’m 10k miles in and no faults to report!
Plus looks sensational. Timeless car the 159Ti

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
@Boabybooster Thats very nice, your the resident RMS Saab expert these days aren't you, have seen these 2 and both look reasonably nice.

This -

24/7 Trade sales NI Trade Prices for the public 2008 SAAB 9-5 1.9 TID Vector Sport Estate Black | in Templepatrick, County Antrim | Gumtree

And this -

2008 Saab 93 Vector Sport TiD 150bhp 6spd Estate Diesel Silver FSH Full MOT | in Crumlin, County Antrim | Gumtree

@Andy888 Really like the Alfa, very, very few and far between though! Yours is incredible, haven't seen one for sale since!

Also Im not completely against going across the water for a car, but if I can find one over here that would be preferred!

Last edited:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
@Boabybooster Thats very nice, your the resident RMS Saab expert these days aren't you, have seen these 2 and both look reasonably nice.

This -

24/7 Trade sales NI Trade Prices for the public 2008 SAAB 9-5 1.9 TID Vector Sport Estate Black | in Templepatrick, County Antrim | Gumtree

And this -

2008 Saab 93 Vector Sport TiD 150bhp 6spd Estate Diesel Silver FSH Full MOT | in Crumlin, County Antrim | Gumtree

Also Im not completely against going across the water for a car, but if I can find one over here that would be preferred!
Good luck trying to view that one In templepatrick, know 2 people that have tried and his brother is always using it. If you don’t really really need a derv, don’t. 2.0 turbo petrol is pretty good on fuel, my 9-5 aero 2.3 turbo does low to mid 30s daily and I’m 50 miles a day in it.

warren

RMS Photographer
OP
warren
Good luck trying to view that one In templepatrick, know 2 people that have tried and his brother is always using it. If you don’t really really need a derv, don’t. 2.0 turbo petrol is pretty good on fuel, my 9-5 aero 2.3 turbo does low to mid 30s daily and I’m 50 miles a day in it.

Great way to sell a car that.... Not sure I'm too fond of the rear end on it anyway.

@Iain Traynor I wasn't actually looking at the older shape but theres quite a few that are very tidy it would seem. That one seems cheap as for the condition its in.

the V50 was number 1 in my list of what I wanted but its concerning to see no one recommending them :laughing:

Last edited:

design1

RMS Regular
So after thinking about it for many months I stuck my Leon up for sale and am now looking to get myself a cheap estate car, the doggo isn't so small anymore (the other half wants another too) and we like to go camping etc in the summer so it seems like a good move.

I'm ideally looking to only spend about £2500-3000.... but can stretch a bit if its something nice.

Have a few options that are intriguing me at the minute, just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on them.

V50 - D5 - 130k miles - Probably the obvious choice but absolute top of budget, I know the S40/V50 platform got a slightly different and less substantial T5 than the rest of its cars, but was this the case with the D5 too. Am I right thinking 130k is likely perfectly fine.

Volvo V50 D5 Sport - bmw 3 touring audi a4 avant mercedes jeep mercedes saab ford mondeo insignia | in Belfast City Centre, Belfast | Gumtree

V50 - 1.8 - 100k - Would this be utterly miserable with a 1.8 petrol? Think its a Ford unit from looking into it, no real complaints about reliability. Cheap, tidy and well spec'd.

2008 Volvo V50 SE 1.8 Petrol - Winter pack | in Four Winds, Belfast | Gumtree

320i - 77k - Looks clean and tidy, some light damage on front repaired (would look at in great detail when visiting obviously) Numbers on this engine seem too good to be true, £155 tax and 45mpg from a 2.0 petrol, real world numbers likely aren't like this. Know nothing about this engine, are they reliable, does this model of 3 series rust to bits like the e46?

BMW 320 i 77K FSH Long MOT | in Lisburn, County Antrim | Gumtree

Theres a few Saabs about too which I would consider, just scared about getting bits for them if they go wrong (might not actually be the case)

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Warren.
The bmw with 77 on it engine will be needn the timing chain done soon they all give bother and that one hasnt been done yet .so keep few pound a side incase

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Really like the facelift 9-3s, had an Aero TTID a few years ago it was a great motor, good looking, really comfy and plenty of power.

Don’t be worrying about parts, Orio AB are making and supplying genuine parts for Saabs, and the engines are Vauxhall/Fiat so any mechanical parts can be bought from them.

chrisQ

RMS Regular
Mate off mine has a 2010 V50 1.6 HDI. Full black heated leather, new DPF filter, under a 100k on it from memory too. Can find out more about it and get a few pictures if you're interested?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.